Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Penske shock problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Penske shock problem

I've had an 8900 series Penske motorcycle shock on my VTR for about 9 years. All I've had done to it is having the fluid changed and the shock re-pressurized every 3 or 4 years. I've been very happy with it.
This season, after greasing the swingarm and suspension linkage bearings, I took the bike out for the first ride of the season. The rear suspension was very harsh. The bike kicked up as I rode over some railroad tracks which was very unusual. I checked the compression adjustment and ensured that it was set to the softest of the 6 settings available. I checked chain slack and increased it. I checked tire pressure. I set rebound to 20 clicks out from full in. None of those things made a difference in the performance of the rear suspension.
The thing that puzzled me most was that after a ride, I couldn’t leave the bike on the kickstand because it was too vertical to be stable. The rear suspension remained compressed and that’s why the bike wouldn’t lean on the kickstand. The rear suspension eventually extended fairly rapidly after I’d been off the bike for 2 or 3 minutes.
I removed the shock from the bike and reassembled the rear suspension without the shock. There was no binding in the linkage when I raised and lowered the swingarm.
I'm fortunate to live close to the Penske distributor and I took the shock there. The problem was traced to a disintegrated internal top out bump rubber. The little bits of bumper floating around blocked some internal passages and prevented the shock from extending.
Penske stood behind its product and treated me well. The repair wasn't free but it was cheap.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Whoa, good to know, thanks for posting that. You should consider yourself lucky it didn't put you on your head.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
First I have heard of that. How old is the shock. On your bike 9yrs but did you buy it new? Internal top out rubber? I cant imagine you could have seen that coming.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM
SuperSport

I got the VTR in 2002. It had about 1,400 km. on it. It now has 82,500 km. I'm pretty sure I put the Penske on it in 2003. I could check my records. It was purchased new.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I bought mine leaking off Ebay and rebuilt it for about $5 worth of o-rings and seals $15 worth of oil and it worked fine for years and will likely work fine for many more on the bike of the new owner.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...e-shock-14943/

I've said it before and I'll say it again Penske Racing rocks!
RC
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I've seen the topout bumpers on the Penske shocks disintegrate before. It's about the only weak point I've seen with them. My guess would be that it's busted apart and wedged into your low-speed passeges. Some of the larger chunks are what;s causing it to not completely extend.

Clearly, a full teardown and inspection is in order!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

Dear Jamie,
Done but it took the Penske tech two attempts to get all the junk out.