Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

one tooth off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Squid

foosfan is on a distinguished road
one tooth off?

what would the symptoms b if i was one tooth off?
Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Uh, there would be a blank spot in the apple where you bit it? the top of you sweatshirt wouldn't line up? Your comb would get stuck in your hair?

You may want to be more specific.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by foosfan
what would the symptoms b if i was one tooth off?
Remember the LHC at CERN? The black hole sucking the earth into nothingness? Being one tooth off is kind of like that.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Uh, there would be a blank spot in the apple where you bit it? the top of you sweatshirt wouldn't line up? Your comb would get stuck in your hair?

You may want to be more specific.
Lolololol!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Squid

thnx for nothin gurus

lol
Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Maybe even two or three theeth off, but it could be something like this....bike winds to about 3500 rpm then acts like its out of fuel .... if i give alot more throttle it will pick up speed but lucky to hit80 mph......also if itry n keep it at a constant its kind a like morse code rata tat tat tat if that makes sense ......also tots of back fire on decil.......also fifth n sixth i gotta give it lots of fuel......also it will wind out btr with choke on,,.....but that's just a guess.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
LOL

1 tooth out wont make too much noticeable difference it depends if it's both cams or one cam etc. A lot of bikes are 1/2 tooth out because of a slightly stretched cam chain which is nothing uncommon. Basically what it would do is advance or retard either cam and change the lobe separation or maybe both cams have been advanced or retarded by moving a tooth in either direction. So effects could be a loss of low down power with a gain in top end power or gain in low down power with a loss at top or a slight loss across the whole RPM range or a slight increase across the whole RPM range with gains or losses elsewhere. Fuel consumption maybe

As standard the timing marks that Honda give us are not all that precise anyway, and the bikes are built with longevity and emissions in mind so there is room for error. If you wanted exact precision then you would have to degree you you cams in.

I would look elsewhere for the solution to your problem. No harm in double checking the timing for peace of mind but you may be 180 out which you wont see as everything will look normal. Start with checking the simple things like the Vacuum and fuel lines.

Joe you almost made me spit my coffee out when I read that post LOL Funny!!!

(:-})
Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Squid

cyber carl thnx for your reply n im sry for my very vague post...... n i have checked timing several times but its hard on the back cyl to see the timing marks but i believe its good n will take your advice n look elsewhere.....again thnx for your insight