SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Is it ok????? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/ok-25699/)

3amta3 05-27-2011 01:07 PM

Is it ok?????

is it normal for the super hawk to have a little dieseling sound during acceleration? i have noticed it making that sound during acceleration or even a little at idle. is it normal at all or should i get it looked at.... this is my first V-twin sport bike so i am not sure how it is supposed to sound. any help?

saige 05-27-2011 01:20 PM

not too sure what you asking,can you describe a little better.
if you go on youtube and pull up vids of superhawks,you may get a better idea if its ok or not.

PUSHrod 05-27-2011 01:52 PM

Dieseling sound, to me, means valve clatter with a deep exhaust bellow as revs are added with the throttle.

So, do you have pipes, or stock units with the baffles removed? Is the sound you are hearing intake or exhaust? Or mechanical? The curious want to know.

3amta3 05-29-2011 12:28 PM

i found a sound profile online and i think i may have found the issue. it sounds like mine does, and they fixed theirs by changing out the starter clutch bell, the one with the rivets in it.... they did that and said the problem was gone.

3amta3 05-29-2011 01:01 PM

it is like a click clack from the lower end, it might be the above or a CCT problem but they look new and clean gaskets. think i might do the starter clutch thing first and see what i can find....
here is the video clip and sound
YouTube - ‪100 4944‬‏

skokievtr 05-29-2011 06:47 PM

it could be CCT OR, with crappy 87 octane gas, dirty/worn spark plugs & hot weather it could be detonation (pre-ignition or "Knock")

3amta3 05-30-2011 08:40 AM

i run at min. 89 octane, the CCT's look fairly new. the guy i bought it from said he just had the plugs changed and a tune up completed. i guess i could pulg the plugs and at least look at them to see if they might be fouled.

Little_Horse 05-30-2011 09:45 AM

has the pair been removed? I was helping a fellow member on here out the other day and his bike sounded the same way as yours almost like a knock. Well it turned out that who ever had pulled the pair off skipped the step of flipping the read valve. So after a little while the plug he had on there burned open and you could hear a knock from the exhaust. We fixed it up right and the noise of course went away. Just something else to look over. Its hard to tell in video audio for sure.

3amta3 05-30-2011 03:13 PM

read valve? are you talking abouit plugs or cct's?

7moore7 05-30-2011 03:28 PM

It's actually reed valve...

It's done as part of the PAIR removal process. The valve sits under a rectangular plate (or plate with a plug coming out of it) on top of your valve covers (the two top metal caps to your engine). You can find an illustration of the valve a little way down in this thread:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-removal-9875/

3amta3 05-30-2011 04:15 PM

outstanding article, i think i am going to look at doing that to mine.... to se if it helps it at all.. but mine make that noise at idle and dose pop during decel.... do you think i would have to change my plugs while i am doing that to the pair.

3amta3 05-30-2011 04:35 PM

it does also have a little bit of a snorkeling sound during decel as well coming from the airbox area. is this indicative of a pair valve problem.......... the pair valve would cause the bike to have that rattle/knocking sound?

RWhisen 05-30-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 3amta3 (Post 304467)
it does also have a little bit of a snorkeling sound during decel as well coming from the airbox area. is this indicative of a pair valve problem.......... the pair valve would cause the bike to have that rattle/knocking sound?

Probably one of the most difficult things to do over the Internet is to diagnose engine issues by sound. However, it sounds as if it could be your OEM CCTs or perhaps the valves need to be adjusted. I definitely hear a tapping sound and I wouldn't wait to do the manual CCT's just to be safe. How many miles on this bike?

Doing the PAIR removal will certainly help cure the popping on decel. Make sure you follow the instructions, especially the part about flipping the reeds and plugging the hole in the airbox.

3amta3 05-30-2011 06:51 PM

i just ordered blank off plates for the Pair. the cct's look to be fairly new, were can i get some manual cct's? and how much do they cost. i also herd it could be the starter clutch also

RWhisen 05-30-2011 07:02 PM

I doubt seriously doubt it is the "starter clutch". Regardless of the appearance of the OEM CCT's, they go with little to no warning. You could be receiving your warning now in the form of a little clatter or noise if you will. Rest assured that if one of them goes; it will be catastrophic and it will be expensive. The $100 cost of them is cheap insurance against replacing the motor or rebuilding it. Here's one place you can get them:

Honda - Sport - VTR 1000 - Top End

It's the first thing that came up using Google and perhaps some other members know where they are cheaper. There is a KB article on here with plenty of photos and instructions. Take your time, do it right and you won't have issues.

3amta3 05-31-2011 08:58 AM

i just ordered my new factory CCT's and will be putting them in hope by tomorrow.... does anyone have a web site that showes how to replace them.... i came accross one yesterday that showed pic's and details on how to and the tool you could make to change them out but i can not find it now.. any help.. thanks guys you have been a great help through this... i am also installing some blank off plates for the pair too. i hate the back fireing i get on decel, so hope that gets rid of that.. does that affect the fuel economy?

7moore7 05-31-2011 10:12 AM

I think I know of a website maybe ;) :

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pe-ccts-11275/

Pair does not noticeably affect fuel economy, performance or much else on the motorcycle (there are some that say otherwise, but the difference is not the reason for doing it). It just de-clutters and de-noisifies that little pop. Popping excessively on decel is also an indication that you're not jetted correctly.

3amta3 05-31-2011 11:40 AM

well the poping is not that bad i just dont care to hear it. and plus less stuff to worry about the better. plus i am getting some sounds, like an air leak durring decel from inside the air filter box.

3amta3 06-01-2011 05:15 PM

How do you know by looking at your CCT if it is bad. i took mine out today and looked at it and it look like it was fine. is it supposed to be springy or stiff? i got new ones on the way, i was just wondering

7moore7 06-01-2011 06:50 PM

You can't tell. It goes without warning... without sign of fatigue, it doesn't turn red, doesn't beep, doesn't bend or wink. It just breaks- some have gone 40k or more with no problems, some have given way after 4k. Most people are fine- you only hear about the ones that failed. But $100 is hard to beat for insurance...

3amta3 06-02-2011 02:30 AM

177.00 for two factory ones. mine lasted as far as i can tell 59K, i figure the new ones will last for as long as i have the bike... will keep posted if it fixes my problem or not. thanks again for all of your input to help my try and figure out my issue(with the bike) haha

3amta3 06-02-2011 05:26 PM

ok now i got some good news and some bad news..... i did the change of the CCT's and wouldnt you know it, no clater at idle but now i have a tick in the front cylinder when the engine is put under a load... anyone have any ideas what it might be?????

lazn 06-03-2011 10:41 AM

exhaust leak? valves need shimming? PAIR?