Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Oil Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Squid
Squid

sparkyharley is on a distinguished road
Oil Leak??

I noticed several drops of oil under my motorcycle yesterday. They were just under the front left portion of the fairing.

I got my flashlight and crawled under the bike. After peering for a moment I noticed the crankcase breather hose was not connected. With a little effort I was able to reach it and put in back in place.

I cleaned up the oil and today went for a 15 mile ride, all under 60 mph.

Got back and no drips - for a while. After about an hour I noticed just a few drops again - in the same place. Again with the flashlight.

The breather hose is still in place. I cannot see any other sources of the oil.

Do you think this is just residual oil? Should I start taking apart the bike?

Never had any oil leaking prior to this.

And I don't know why the breather hose was off. I may have pulled it loose when I was removing the gas tank a few days ago.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Stupid question, but did you just change the oil recently? Filter is right there and the pan can hold some oil in it if the filter is leaking.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Squid
Squid

sparkyharley is on a distinguished road
good question

Actually this was my exact first thought. I did change the oil about a month ago. But I removed the lower fairing and have left it off since noticing the oil. It is easier to see the oil on the garage floor than peering into that pan.

I think the fumes from the crankcase were being pushed out the breather hose port and condensing back into oil. But am not sure.

My understanding of the breather hose is that it takes oil fumes back into the air box. These fumes are fed into the carbs and burned up in the combustion process to keep the environment clean.

If this is true I am just surprised (and worried) at the quantity of the oil I see. I observed puddles about 3 inches in diameter, which may actually be about 1/4 ounce of oil I guess.

I just can't figure any other source for the oil.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure oil vapor will condense back into oil....at least not in those quantities. Got to be a leak somewhere.

Try dusting the engine with baby powder. That should show where the oil starts from. Very hard to see clean oil on an engine.