Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Normal Operating Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
Normal Operating Temp?

Yesterday was about 71-72 here. I did notice at sitting at lights my bike usually runs anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 temp gauge. Where does your bike temp stay at even at lights.

Man since I've came to this site, im starting to wonder if a superhawk was my best decision cause all I see is issues on threads. I cant decide if i should change my CCT's, or if i should send the bike into the shop and have them do a compression test, sync the carbs, and check the valves. I only have so much money.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
Dude every bike is like this. I've had 3. Valve swimming will always be required no matter what bike. You shouldn't need a comp test unless the bike feels very under powered. Even then a leak down test is better. All bikes temps will very depending on traffic, ambient temp, stop lights and cooling system health. At lights on hot days and warm motor my gauge will creep the 3/4 mark but the fan kicks in before then.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
i havent heard my fans kick on yet, about what part of the gauge are they suppose to kick on? if it is a fuse where should i look
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Back Marker

Shawn Torpey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sevenchaos
Man since I've came to this site, im starting to wonder if a superhawk was my best decision cause all I see is issues on threads.
Unfortunately thats the nature of these internet forums. Your not likely to find a forum where everyone just post how they're bike is running so great, what a waste of time that would be. It's like at work, if you do somethin good, nobody cares, but if you do somethin bad thats all they talk about. Every bike has parts that will fail. The Superhawk is actually very dependable I've had mine since 2004, 20,000 miles ago, and all the work I've done to it has been performance upgrades, preventative and regular maitnece items, I'm tryin to think if anything has every failed and nothing comes to mind (hope i'm not jinxin myself). And if something does fail, this forum is overflowing with knowledge and some very helpful people. Enjoy your purchase it's a great bike!!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
i havent heard my fans kick on yet, about what part of the gauge are they suppose to kick on? if it is a fuse where should i look
My '03 has a digital temp gauge. Fan kicks on at 220 degrees F
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
I had a headlight low beam go out once. Other than that changed to ape cct's and regular maint items. It just keeps running like a champ.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I live in the hot *** south of the US and during the summer months my temp gauge will get a little over half while sitting in traffic and stays a little under half while moving.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
Normal Operating Temperature or Temp in Florida is 60-110 deg f . in the summer fan turns on frequently, but never goes more than a little over half. also never goes below middle until the beautiful 3 months of winter come and its only 60 deg during the day. those are long ride months to the florida keys and back. opposite of northerners that work in the garage for the winter. i found myself working during the summer in the a/c!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Squid

GearsJohnson is on a distinguished road
Yesterday was about 71-72 here. I did notice at sitting at lights my bike usually runs anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 temp gauge. Where does your bike temp stay at even at lights.

Man since I've came to this site, im starting to wonder if a superhawk was my best decision cause all I see is issues on threads. I cant decide if i should change my CCT's, or if i should send the bike Aftermarket Parts the shop and have them do a compression test, sync the carbs, and check the valves. I only have so much money.
Well, most forums your not only here to brag but to talk about your bike problems and how to fix it the cheapest way easily.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk is a great 90 degree V-twin platform and a very reliable one. It's also one of the least expensive to work on. Like many bike specific forums the majority of discussion is geared towards those who do their own wrenching. Parts for these bikes are plentiful, reasonably priced and the bikes are pretty simple to work on. Compared to tearing down a set of 4 in-line Mikunis or tackling a V-4 carb set up working on a Superchicken is relatively easy and sick as this may sound, fairly enjoyable! I enjoy riding my VTR1000 more than my FZ1, VF750 or my 1200 Sporty - they are truly a blast to ride! Give it some time, play with the bike a bit, get it in tune and hit some good twisties and you'll come to really appreciate what these bikes are all about. PS: my least favorite bike to work on is my Sporty. American motorcycle engineering is crap if you ask me. But they sound very cool :-)
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I do my own wrenching, and my bike has stock CCT's, never adjusted the valves (shim type adjustment holds very well, if you're not running it on the track all the time, but I plan to check it soon). Other than standard maintenance and carb R&R and cleaning, I've replaced one headlight bulb and a clutch master cylinder dust boot, chain and sprockets (original chain went 41,000 miles) and many tires.

My bike has 53,000 miles on it, and does most of its duty in the canyons for the last 2 1/2 years, since I retired.

My temp gauge has hit as high as 235 F on a very hot day (113 F) in stop and go traffic, with the fan going full time. Otherwise my fan kicks in at 219 F. Running temp varies with ambient air temp. Mine runs around 175 to 190 in winter here in SoCal.

As far as reliability... hey, it's a Honda.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 09-23-2011 at 10:00 PM.