Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Non liquid Carb sync tool, What is your favorite?

Old 06-04-2015, 12:23 PM
  #1  
Moderator
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,217
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Non liquid Carb sync tool, What is your favorite?

I've used a bunch over the years,, Homemade, mercury filled, non mercury filled, analog vac gauge based..

What do you have now that you find easy, accurate, low setup, and quick to use.

Price is not an object so much as meeting the needs above.

Thanks

Erik
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East TX
Posts: 216
HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Been using one of these for 6 or 7 years. After setting up the shortcuts, I can balance in five minutes. www.carbtune.com
HawkRider98 is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 06:06 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
scottiemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston
Posts: 1,252
scottiemann is on a distinguished road
my setup is easy, quick, low setup, cheap, home made and as accurate as it needs to be... but its liquid
scottiemann is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 236
rick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HawkRider98 View Post
Been using one of these for 6 or 7 years. After setting up the shortcuts, I can balance in five minutes. www.carbtune.com
+1

I bought mine 3 years ago. Works great
rick is offline  
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 AM
  #5  
Moderator
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,217
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
CarbTune has been the common response on all forums I asked..

So I guess CarbTune it is this go around.
If not happy with it, I'll build my own using high end Glycol dampened gauges.
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM
  #6  
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike
 
Jack Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 1,165
Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I use the Tecmate. Easy to use, and accurate. I've been using it for about 6-8 years now.


Tecmate ? SynchroMate
Jack Flash is offline  
Old 06-05-2015, 03:38 PM
  #7  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
skokievtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,933
skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
+1 for several years and easy hook up once front and rear carb manifolds are plumbed no tank lift hook up with motion pro tool modified for d head pilot scew.

have not yet installed pilot screw with thumb head
skokievtr is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 AM
  #9  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr View Post
+1 for several years and easy hook up once front and rear carb manifolds are plumbed no tank lift hook up with motion pro tool modified for d head pilot scew.

have not yet installed pilot screw with thumb head
Are you saying that you have been sync'ing your carbs by adjusting the fuel screws?
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
skokievtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,933
skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ View Post
Are you saying that you have been sync'ing your carbs by adjusting the fuel screws?
You need to educate yourself in the proper and complete procedure for carburetor synchronization. If the carbs are reasonably closely synchronized, the first step is to lower RPM as much as possible yet keep the engine running and then adjust the fuel (pilot) screws to achieve maximum RPM. The second step, and only after the first, is to actually sync the secondary carb (rear in the case of the VTR) to the #1 carb (front on the VTR). Many people do not have the knowledge and/or experience (skill) to complete step 1 and just set the pilot screws to an approximate number of turns open (out); i.e., 1.5 front and 1.75 rear for (only) an example in the case of the VTR. However, setting the pilots for maximum revs (and then sometimes backing them off a hair) is the first step.

Do your homework!
skokievtr is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 PM
  #11  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Since you were cool enough to do the PackJack group buy, I'll leave this alone.
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
skokievtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,933
skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ View Post
Since you were cool enough to do the PackJack group buy, I'll leave this alone.
Mat,

Read the VTR shop manual, section 5 page 21 +/- regarding Pilot Screw adjustment, which should be done in conjunction with syncing the carbs.

BTW, I'm trying to get out the Packjacks and, if weather permits, this Saturday maybe we can meet halfway and I can hand deliver your 2 units, and you can show me some roads up your way?
skokievtr is offline  
Old 06-10-2015, 03:11 PM
  #13  
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike
 
CruxGNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 2,312
CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr View Post
Mat,

Read the VTR shop manual, section 5 page 21 +/- regarding Pilot Screw adjustment, which should be done in conjunction with syncing the carbs.

BTW, I'm trying to get out the Packjacks and, if weather permits, this Saturday maybe we can meet halfway and I can hand deliver your 2 units, and you can show me some roads up your way?
I simply asked if you were syncing your carbs by adjusting the fuel screws.

Judging by your wording of post #8, one would surmise that you have been syncing your carbs by using the fuel screws to sync them. Heck, I don't know if that is even possible.

My bike is in the middle of an engine swap, so I can't show you around. Sorry.
CruxGNZ is offline  
Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
skokievtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,933
skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ View Post
I simply asked if you were syncing your carbs by adjusting the fuel screws.

Judging by your wording of post #8, one would surmise that you have been syncing your carbs by using the fuel screws to sync them. Heck, I don't know if that is even possible.

My bike is in the middle of an engine swap, so I can't show you around. Sorry.
Uh, you misinterpreted my post. I said the "complete" procedure should include adjusting the pilot screws, of course I sync per manual 3-5 (which is the only way I know of.

BTW, check your PMs
skokievtr is offline  
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 PM
  #15  
Moderator
MotoGP
Thread Starter
 
E.Marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kempner, TX
Posts: 4,217
E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr View Post
Uh, you misinterpreted my post. I said the "complete" procedure should include adjusting the pilot screws, of course I sync per manual 3-5 (which is the only way I know of.

BTW, check your PMs
In all fairness, no, you did not say that till post 11..

Post 8
+1 for several years and easy hook up once front and rear carb manifolds are plumbed no tank lift hook up with motion pro tool modified for d head pilot scew.

have not yet installed pilot screw with thumb head
Does lead one to think you are trying to adjust sync with fuel screws.

Obviously not correct.. we just misunderstood your post. No harm no foul...

Of course you are correct in your later posts, adjusting fuel screw, idle and the sync screw are all part of the proper procedure.

Thanks for the reminder, some may not have realized it was more then hooking up a guage and twisting a screw.
E.Marquez is offline  
Old 10-16-2015, 01:33 AM
  #16  
Member
Squid
 
Central Coast Stormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 30
Central Coast Stormer is on a distinguished road
So to confirm turn the idle speed right down till just before stalling and then then turn the pilots both front and rear carbs till you get maximum revs and only then sync carbs?
Originally Posted by skokievtr View Post
You need to educate yourself in the proper and complete procedure for carburetor synchronization. If the carbs are reasonably closely synchronized, the first step is to lower RPM as much as possible yet keep the engine running and then adjust the fuel (pilot) screws to achieve maximum RPM. The second step, and only after the first, is to actually sync the secondary carb (rear in the case of the VTR) to the #1 carb (front on the VTR). Many people do not have the knowledge and/or experience (skill) to complete step 1 and just set the pilot screws to an approximate number of turns open (out); i.e., 1.5 front and 1.75 rear for (only) an example in the case of the VTR. However, setting the pilots for maximum revs (and then sometimes backing them off a hair) is the first step.

Do your homework!
Central Coast Stormer is offline  
Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 AM
  #17  
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike
 
Jack Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 1,165
Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Central Coast Stormer View Post
So to confirm turn the idle speed right down till just before stalling and then then turn the pilots both front and rear carbs till you get maximum revs and only then sync carbs?
The syncing of the carbs is a three step procedure more or less. As per the manual, you need to find ideal front carb idle, then rear carb idle by adjusting fuel screws. Once this is done, you may then go one to adjust the other little teadious screw on the side of the bracket....to synce the carbs.

For this, I use 1/4'' extension, swivel socket, and 7mm socket...
Jack Flash is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nath981
Knowledge Base
25
07-16-2018 02:20 PM
Erik S.
Technical Discussion
20
05-02-2010 07:25 PM
mxer363
Knowledge Base
9
08-12-2009 07:44 AM
reaper
Technical Discussion
6
09-22-2007 10:15 AM
VTRFISH
Technical Discussion
0
08-16-2005 10:57 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non liquid Carb sync tool, What is your favorite?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.