Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Next day parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Next day parts?

Is there a way to get parts next-day? From what I can tell, no matter what you do, you need a day for the part to get from Honda to whoever you are buying it from, and then a day for them to get it to you.

My local dealer unfortunately seems to be a little opportunistic about "emergencies". Then tend to quote large fortunes to get even small things overnighted.

I'm overhauling my carbs, and I cracked a tab off of one of my floats b/c the float valve was stuck. It would be nice not to have to wait until Wednesday to put this all back together...

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Every Honda dealer can overnight a part to their shop from Honda if they place the order in by the cut-off time(10:30am) on business days. Now, how much you pay for shipping is up to the dealer. They(Honda) usually charges the dealer a fee to put the order ahead of all orders submitted that day.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I know it's nice to put everything back together right away, but is it really necessary to have everything next-day? Or a better question, can't it wait because of the cost of freight vs part? It's not like you absolutely can't live without the 'Hawk for a day or three while you wait for parts, at least in my experience. But then I'm cheap, and for $60 extra for UPS NDA, I'll find something else to do.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Back Marker

Hey there,

It's worse than that - I have a Ninja 650R which is running fine.

Seriously, the reason for the rush is I have a friend coming to visit this weekend and was hoping to have both bikes running so we could go riding together.

Anyway, this thread is obsolete now because it turns out Honda has backordered this part until sometime in November.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I'd check around for other dealers too. Even without a special rush request, it is almost always the next day or second day after I order something from my dealer. and never an extra charge - in fact it is always cheaper than ronayers or service honda.

ask some parts counters at other dealers and shop where you get the best service.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

Sounds like you have better dealers around you than I do. The guy I bought the bike from's dealer is like that - helpful and knowledgeable, and not opportunistic. But it's 2 hrs away.

Most of the dealers around me, well, you know as soon as they've said "Hello" that it's not going to go well. The dealer I work with is good, but they just aren't fast in terms of getting some things. Not sure what the hitch is, but when I called them for a gasket set for this rebuild last Friday, they said it wouldn't be here until Thursday.

I ended up paying less to have Ron Ayers double-express the gaskets to be here tomorrow than I would have to have the dealer regular-order them for Thurs w/out a shipping charge - and then I'd have had to ride a half hour each way to pick them up. But at least they are knowledgeable.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Have you tried eBay or the forum for used carbs?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Syclone
Have you tried eBay or the forum for used carbs?
Yes in fact that's exactly what I did - I got a full carb pair for $100, plus $20 for Priority Mail. It's jetted, which I'm not ready to get into, but that's fine, I'll just steal a float from it. While I would have been nervous about putting an entire ebay carburetor into my bike, I think I can make a safe assessment on the condition of a float from one ;-)
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

If it's already jetted, what do you have to lose? Do you know what altitude it came from and what mods it was jetted for and are they similar to yours?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Syclone
If it's already jetted, what do you have to lose? Do you know what altitude it came from and what mods it was jetted for and are they similar to yours?
Time. I want to keep things simple and just get the bike running for now.

I just bought it less than two weeks ago. It has 945 miles on it. I haven't even hear the engine run yet. I think it is wise to shoot for getting it running properly in stock trim before I worry about going off-program with it.

I'm sure I'll play with jetting in a while since I have this carb already. Plus, since I'm coming from a Ninja 650R, it's not like I need more power. yet.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by avramd
Yes in fact that's exactly what I did - I got a full carb pair for $100, plus $20 for Priority Mail. It's jetted, which I'm not ready to get into, but that's fine, I'll just steal a float from it. While I would have been nervous about putting an entire ebay carburetor into my bike, I think I can make a safe assessment on the condition of a float from one ;-)

Thery're good . Brandon will have them shipped out to you today.

Last edited by inderocker; 10-26-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by inderocker
Thery're good . Brandon will have that shipped out to you today.
Haha, ok, what's the connection... I never said who "they" are - are you they guy I talked to on the phone?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

No, you talked to Brandon. The carbs are from our shop. I had posted a link to all of our VTR auctions in the classified section a couple of days ago.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Back Marker

Oh, by "They're good" you here mean the carbs themselves - I get it ;-)

In that case, can you answer the questions Syclone asked about the details behind how they were previously tuned?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

They came off a bike that had a K&N air filter and Staintune exhaust. Te carb specs were listed on the auction. If I remember right, the main jets were 195/190. What mods have you done to your bike? We bought the bike in Phoenix, but that may not of been where it originated from.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:48 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by avramd
I ended up paying less to have Ron Ayers double-express the gaskets to be here tomorrow than I would have to have the dealer regular-order them for Thurs w/out a shipping charge - and then I'd have had to ride a half hour each way to pick them up. But at least they are knowledgeable.
Last I checked Ron Ayers takes 5 days to do overnight shipping, and 2 weeks for standard ground shipping. How did you get it from them faster?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Last I checked Ron Ayers takes 5 days to do overnight shipping, and 2 weeks for standard ground shipping. How did you get it from them faster?
Oh, that is what their website quotes for automated orders. The shipping/delivery process is more flexible than what the web quotes, but putting all the options in would be too complicated for a web UI. If you call them, they can do better on a case-by-case basis. For example to get the gaskets, they checked the factory warehouse stock and since they were in, the were able to express them from Honda to themselves, and then express them to me once they received them. And since gaskets are so small/flat/light, the whole double-express only cost $15.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by inderocker
They came off a bike that had a K&N air filter and Staintune exhaust. Te carb specs were listed on the auction. If I remember right, the main jets were 195/190. What mods have you done to your bike? We bought the bike in Phoenix, but that may not of been where it originated from.
Yes, the jet #'s were on the auction. I just didn't know if there was anything else to it as I haven't researched jetting yet.

Haha mods? Does buying it count as a mod? I have barely had the bike a week. It has micron exhaust though, no other mods. I am going back to factory exhaust, I need the bike to be as quiet as possible (local laws). So jetting may not be an option for me at all.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 PM
MotoGP

I'm running stock jetting in my bike 175/178 main jets and a 45 pilot jet and it runs great. I've got Yosh slip on's, K&N air filter, Ported and polished heads (mild) and a Factory Pro ignition advancer. Save yourself the headache and stick with the stock jet sizes unless you get some really open exhaust (i.e. Devil, Two Brothers, etc..).
Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Back Marker

Cool, thanks for the advice. Saves me some research. I definitely won't be getting an open exhaust unless there is one that is as quiet as factory - which I believe is an oxymoron.

How much did it cost for the porting & polishing?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 PM
MotoGP

My buddy Brandon did it for me, cost me a set of 6 pot Tokico calipers. My Yosh's are very quiet as far as aftermarket exhaust's go.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
ha sounds way better than my local shop. One order a week on thursdays and they take til monday to unpack it