Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

newbie sprocket ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:24 PM
omp
Squid

omp
newbie sprocket ??

Found this board through another superhawk owner locally, I need to replace my tires, found out rear sprocket is warped also. But looking at different kinds out there, trying to figure out if I have a 530 or 520 chain. I'll be going up to at least a 43 or 45 in the rear, with stock up front. Reason: just enjoy my weekend rides, no need to hot dog it. My recent trip through Hwy33 here had me comming pretty close to red light on the dash.. any opinions on what kind of sprocket would be appreciated. Chain is brand new when I bought it from the dealer.

Om
Old 02-06-2006, 01:33 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Welcome to the board.

When talking about your rear sprocket, when you "tooth-up" you are basically trading horsepower for torque. In other words, top-end for acceleration. 41T is stock and 43T is a fairly typical modification for advanced riders. I've heard of 45-tooth, but that would really impact the drivability of the bike. You would be pulling the front wheel up with even moderate acceleration from stoplights. If you are trying to tame down the bike you should go lower than 41 or just leave it as is. The 530 chain is a very thick chain compared to the 520, and the 520 is noticeably lighter.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:22 PM
omp
Squid

omp
Re: newbie sprocket ??

sorry my bad.. I meant to say going down to a 40 in the rear and 17 up front. I've found that two brothers has them for a reasonable price. Also will be looking at others perhapps on ebay also. Trying to keep the front wheel on the ground, I don't know about othr places, but where I live bikes can now be impounded for wheelies here if a copy see's you.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
MMMM, I think anything taller than stock gearing would be pretty tall even on the highway and that would drop your rpms down at cruising speeds and put you out of the powerband of the motor. therefore you would have to downshift to 5th or even 4th gear to pass a vehicle safely. Especially going with a 17T in the front. if you gonna go down in the back, I would go to 39T in the back. That would drop your rpms by 500rpms at least, in top gear at same speeds. Which means crusing at 70mph, your rpms would be around 4000rpms. If you wanna keep your front wheel down, learn to control the throttle better and slipping the clutch slower. Just my 2 cents.