Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

New bike, a few questions

Old 08-19-2016, 06:44 AM
Squid

wfoerk is on a distinguished road
New bike, a few questions

Hi all, I picked up a 2001 model this week and I have a few things I am curious about. It has what I believe are APE mcct's on it. How will I know when it is time to attend to them? Right now the engine sounds great, no strange clicks or anything (13,600 miles). Should I re-adjust them at regular mileage intervals or wait for the chain to get noisy? I am interested in putting superbike bars on my bike. Any input on how to go about this? Does anyone offer a top triple tree ready for mounts or will I have to make my own? But first on my list is upgrading the front brakes. Wow, they are really lousy stock, especially considering the power the bike makes. I'm planning on going with a complete Gixxer 1000 6 pot brake system, just for something different. I have no illusions of making this a hard-core sport bike; I would have bought a RC51 if that's what I wanted. My goals are to make it a strong sport-tourer that I can take out and have fun on. This forum has been a great source of info for future mods I'd like to take on. I'm looking forward to it.
thanks-
Old 08-19-2016, 07:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
Welcome

It has what I believe are APE mcct's on it. How will I know when it is time to attend to them?
Typically they do not need readjustment from normal use, higher mileages and or if motor work is done may require adjustment. However, they are often installed incorrectly, so it would be a great idea to check the tension on the chain,,basically follow the whole install procedure that includes removing the valve covers.

I am interested in putting superbike bars on my bike. Any input on how to go about this? Does anyone offer a top triple tree ready for mounts or will I have to make my own?
Its been done more than a few times, some will chime in and say its unsafe as the OEM triple was not designed to be drilled and support that weight, stress, ect..,,,, yet it's been done.. so the risk is yours to take after considerations. I hate to say it but in this case it makes since,,,,do a search..lol see how others have done it. Another option is something like Apek MFG raised bars...which is what I use, originally the 4" ride version, but now lowered to 1.5" above stock, that small rise coupled with better pull back angle and drop (also adjustable on the Apex bars) made for a happy back and neck.

But first on my list is upgrading the front brakes. Wow, they are really lousy stock, especially considering the power the bike makes. I'm planning on going with a complete Gixxer 1000 6 pot brake system, just for something different.

Its an opinion and feel thing....Many have swapped new Stainless Steel lines (dual front, you get rid if the Y splitter) fresh fluid, EBC HH pads, rebuild the master and OEM calipers and been happy with the improved braking. Others Myself included have been on a quest for better brakes...I tried the GSXR 6 pots, and sold them, I tried a few differnt calipers and MC, and sold them...Im now at a Brembo Radial MC and CBR600f4i calipers, Core Moto lines, Vesrah RJL pads, EBC pro Lite rotors and am happy with the results. Likely no more changes for me until and if I swap the front end and can go with Radial calipers and larger disks.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
As E stated, for relatively little coin you can swap out the front calipers to a Honda CBR600 F4i set.
Like these

That in combination with stainless lines and EBC HH pads will result in a huge improvement. Do a de-glaze on the rotors while you're @ it.

A strong sport tourer huh... My biggest gripe for years was the VTR's lack of range. If you're serious, search around here for the VFR tank mod.
Good luck and keep us posted on your mods.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the clan of "They Who Cannot Leave Well Enough Alone!".
I will echo wolverine's thoughts. I will guarantee that if you deglaze the discs, install some EBC HH pads, change to stainless lines, use some high boiling point dot4 for a flush/fill and bleed, you will be freaked out by how much better the brakes will be. In reality you system probably hasn't been serviced since Honda filled it at the factory. Time and heat cycling are the enemy here. I too have Apex riser bars they are really cool...
Old 08-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Squid

wfoerk is on a distinguished road
Alrighty then, before I go all gung-ho on adding a new front brake system I will just do the s.s. lines and double H pads and see how it goes. (or stops, actually) I'm not looking for race bike brakes, just a system strong enough to trust, which at the present time isn't cutting it. I did just synch the carbs today, which brought huge grins all around.