Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Need help setting up suspension for lightweight rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Squid

flyinbrian24 is on a distinguished road
Need help setting up suspension for lightweight rider

I need advice on how to set up my suspension for my weight. I weigh 135lbs ready to ride. What wght is my stock suspension set for? I have a Bone stock '98 VTR 1000f. I'm planning to do trackdays this Summer with the Midwest Cafe Racers Association at Gateway International Raceway near St louis,MO. Any input on tire selection would be helpful too.I currently have Pirelli Diablo Corses on the bike now.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Squid

Thanx GS man
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
More accurately, the stock VTR suspension is ideal for the following:

Forks - negative 15lb
Shock - 160lb

That's right, the stock springs aren't even good enough to handle the bike alone! Getting proper springs on the bike would be an excellent place to start. If you plan to do much more track time with the bike then making some upgrades to the damping would be suggested.

Gateway is neat, just watch out for that banking! The infield section is fun.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Not to thread jack, but where would progressive rate springs be best applicable? Cause my mechanic put them in my Shadow 600...
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually the forks in the VTR are old tech... They work very well with progressive springs on the street... Just not the stock springs...

A progressive spring will soak up small bumps better than straight springs that have no wiggle before they start to compress...

But yeah, progressive = comfort, straight = performance... I just don't think it's quite as clear cut and polar as you expressed it...
Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM
SuperBike

Although the stock springs are wound with two different coil pitches, they are not progressive. If you investigate them closely you'll find that the two piches actually reach solid height at the same load. That means there is no progression of rate.

Progressive springs are too soft over smal bumps and too stiff over larger ones - the worst of both worlds. Straight rate springs out perform them in all applications including cruisers!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flyinbrian24
I need advice on how to set up my suspension for my weight. I weigh 135lbs ready to ride. What wght is my stock suspension set for? I have a Bone stock '98 VTR 1000f. I'm planning to do trackdays this Summer with the Midwest Cafe Racers Association at Gateway International Raceway near St louis,MO. Any input on tire selection would be helpful too.I currently have Pirelli Diablo Corses on the bike now.
Hell I thought Gateway was totally closed. I know there is no drag racing there this year, I was looking forward to getting out there again this year. All other sponsored racing is done for too.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by archaicguy
Hell I thought Gateway was totally closed. I know there is no drag racing there this year, I was looking forward to getting out there again this year. All other sponsored racing is done for too.
I heard that too. It's a shame because I actually liked that track.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Squid

At the time I wrote that post I wasn't aware that Gateway was closed.At our last club meeting the rumor was that it might be open again in july under new ownership.If it does,The MCRA will do everything in our power to put on track days again.