Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

need help engine rpm change/ stall

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
need help engine rpm change/ stall

I resently purchaced an 01 superhawk,(my first) she has 14kmiles, k&n air filter, and a stage 1 jet kit. As i have been riding I have noticed that when out of the throttle or on a slight tip in the bike seems to make a tick noise then the rpms drop, almost like a random missfire, but im not positive. Every now and then the bike will do this but will stall, the bike always fires right back up. im not quite sure what to check and or look for with this problem, i am a mechainic so i do have know how to fix the bike, but dont have any experience with V-twin engines. So on that note if anyone has any input on this condition it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
welcome aboard sailor! Since you are able to work on your bike, I would recommend taking the air cleaner off, check the tps, carb sync, actual carb settings, jets, valve adjustment, CCTs, etc, so you can find out where you're at. You might consider changing the air filter to OEM just to see what diff that makes since they have been notoriously troublesome in this bike.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
SuperSport

Now i will at least say this much, the guy i bought the bike from, in my opinion (stole) gave me the RO from the last repair he had done which was a full carb cleaning, choke adjustment, brakes pads and a battery done about 2 weeks prior to me buying the bike. I didnt notice the issue starting till i decided to run 91octane through the bike, seeing as how im used to 4banggers with higher compression i didnt think much about it, so i tried finishing off that tank of fuel and running 89 through her as recomended by a friend who has owned a hawk for 6 years now, and she still seams to be doing it, not quite as often but still is happening. i will also say i feel as if the reason for the problem is incomplete combustion, cause i have noticed shes running a little rich. also if anyone knows what should the idle be set around? she was running at about 1100rmps once hot.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
The k&n and jet kit are troublesome on these bikes, so that could be the problem. Read the Carb setup thread for more info.

Idle should be around 1200, download the service manual from the knowledge base section for any other settings or info.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
tick noise then the rpms drop, almost like a random missfire, but im not positive.
Sound like 'carb fart' - just raise the idle a notch as suggested to keep it from stalling in slow corners.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM
SuperSport

thanks for the help guys, i will look over the bike tonight and try to set the idle up a tad to see if that helps with the problem. she needs to be in perfect running condition for biketoberfest this weekend!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
SuperSport

Ok, so I have looked over the bike and everything seams to be in order, except I am still trying to get a hold of an OEM filter seeing as how I have a K&N on it. But I have narrowed it down to the sound of predetination causing the issue, I have yet to pull the plugs out to see if they are wet. but I am going to guess they will be seeing as how the bike is running REALLY rich at low rpms. Anyone else have any ideas as to what to check for predetination?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Stock pilots run lean in this bike (don't know if your jet kit would have replaced them or not). Also, syncing the carbs is never a bad idea in this situation...
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Stock pilots run lean in this bike (don't know if your jet kit would have replaced them or not). Also, syncing the carbs is never a bad idea in this situation...
Yeah, I do believe the pilots were replaced (dynojet kit) I could be wrong its happened before. When I bought the bike about a month ago the guy gave me the receipts from the last repair after the bike sat for a while, shop cleaned and "synced" the carbs. and its not like im lacking power or any of that, the bike on the dyno made 102hp at the wheel , its just an issue of burning alot of gas in town and the predetination issue. is there an air, fuel adjustment screw like on a standard automotive carb?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Yeah, I do believe the pilots were replaced (dynojet kit) I could be wrong its happened before. When I bought the bike about a month ago the guy gave me the receipts from the last repair after the bike sat for a while, shop cleaned and "synced" the carbs. and its not like im lacking power or any of that, the bike on the dyno made 102hp at the wheel , its just an issue of burning alot of gas in town and the predetination issue. is there an air, fuel adjustment screw like on a standard automotive carb?
My symptoms were different than yours, but I also kept feeling my bike is running rich (all stock) and there was a strong smell of gas. It turned out to be a torn diaphragm in my petcock. I replaced it (based on a thread on this forum) and my problem was fixed! No more smell. Not running rich. No power loss and choke working better