Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

My nice option to the R1 regulator for those looking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
My nice option to the R1 regulator for those looking.

Just picked up a replacement regulator for my Hawk, decided against going the R1 route and after going through the Mosfet thread, I picked up a regulator from a 08 Kawasaki ZX6R. The price was perfect, only paid 30 bucks for it, which is far less than what the non-mosfet R1 regulators were going for. Its stamped FH016AA and comes with a wiring harness with plugs instead of a straight connector into the regulator.

I picked up some weatherpack connectors for the power/ground and stator connections from Jim at Eastern Beaver to adapt it, which was about 10 bucks, and wired it all up. There are 2 pigtails on the regulator, just cut off the OEM plugs and wire it up as follows..

First pigtail-
-Large black wire with white tracer--Regulator ground
-Large black wire with blue tracer--Regulator power
-Small black wire--no connection, used for Kawi headlight shutoff signal, just cut off, and insulate.

Second pigtail-
-3 Black wires, all same gauge, are used for stator circuit, connect 1 to each of the bike's 3 stator wires

If you dont want to buy connectors, you could just solder and heat shrink them direct to the bike wiring, but you'll lose the ability to disconnect the regulator that way...

Hope this helps with anyone who is in the market for a new R/R, I did some research and the FH016AA is a very reliable regulator option, alot of Aprilla guys have the same issues as us and they've been using this one with good results.

Heres a couple pics of the finished product!
My nice option to the R1 regulator for those looking.-img_2221-640x480-.jpg
My nice option to the R1 regulator for those looking.-img_2224-640x480-.jpg
Old 12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Nice work

How well do the holes line up? I'm guessing similar to the R1's... a little wider than stock?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Nice work

How well do the holes line up? I'm guessing similar to the R1's... a little wider than stock?
I'd say its similar to the R1 in size, measures 3.5" by 3", with the mounting holes 3" on center. I just used one original mounting hole and drilled a new one and used a nut and bolt to secure it. It runs incredibly cool, it'll barely get warm to the touch.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Wonder why people don't read the available information... That one was posted in the "mosfet thread" about three months ago...
Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Wonder why people don't read the available information... That one was posted in the "mosfet thread" about three months ago...
As stated, that thread was the exact reason I picked this one...alot of people seemed to hung up on the R1 swap and I thought this one would be a good choice and figured that i'd try it out and share the wiring information to use it. From what i've seen for a mosfet regulator, they are a far cheaper alternative than some of the others.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scooter72
As stated, that thread was the exact reason I picked this one...alot of people seemed to hung up on the R1 swap and I thought this one would be a good choice and figured that i'd try it out and share the wiring information to use it. From what i've seen for a mosfet regulator, they are a far cheaper alternative than some of the others.
Where did you find one so cheap?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Back Marker

Got it off ebay, there were quite a few for sale when i picked this one up, prices did vary but they were all less than 60 bucks. There is still at least 8 for sale right now, just search "2008 ZX6R regulator", they will be finned and have a black 3 wire rectangular plug and a grey square plug with 2 larger wires and 1 small one in it. The seller that I bought from had a picture of the FH# too, thats why I bought from them, so I absolutely knew I was getting a mosfet regulator.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Ok... I'm eating my own words...

Good idea to add to the info on the wiring... Essentially it's "just hooking it up", but a lot of people are uncomfortable with trying things... I'm not as long as it's electric, it's familar...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Got it off ebay, there were quite a few for sale when i picked this one up, prices did vary but they were all less than 60 bucks. There is still at least 8 for sale right now, just search "2008 ZX6R regulator", they will be finned and have a black 3 wire rectangular plug and a grey square plug with 2 larger wires and 1 small one in it. The seller that I bought from had a picture of the FH# too, thats why I bought from them, so I absolutely knew I was getting a mosfet regulator.
You're right. Sure enough they are there, plain as day.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
I have been off the forum for quite a while over the last year after my bike was stolen. Have I missed something? Is there new information leading away from using an R1 R&R? Or is this just another option? It is always good to have options!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Dear Eerstanpilot,
There's a lovely article by Tweety in the Knowledge Base entitled "Mosfet regulator/rectifiers: The Why and the How". It got me excited about electricity.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Back Marker

There is nothing wrong with a R1 swap, its alot better than the OEM piece, but it's still the same diode based regulator as the stock one. This one is mosfet based, and uses transistors instead of diodes to control your stators output. They are more efficient, run alot cooler and produce a much more stable output to your bike. Thats just the short of it, for a detailed explanation, check out the "Mosfet regulators, how and why" thread in the knowledge base...plenty on good info on the subject.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
There is nothing wrong with a R1 swap, its alot better than the OEM piece, but it's still the same diode based regulator as the stock one.
Depends on the year. R1 regulators are MOSFET after 2004... It's the R6 R/R that's diode based but better than superhawk OEM or aftermarket
Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Depends on the year. R1 regulators are MOSFET after 2004... It's the R6 R/R that's diode based but better than superhawk OEM or aftermarket
True enough..the 04-06 R1 regulators seem to be alot bigger though, I think in 07 they went to a smaller size, more like the one I'm using. They do seem to go for alot more from what i've seen though, but anything is better than the stock paperweight...I had a new aftermarket OEM style one last 25 mins...and there was nothing else wrong with the bike...it was just a piece of junk! I learned my lesson after that.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I have the finned stock rr, does it have the failure history of the non-finned?
I am putting a zx6r rr on watch at the 'Bay.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Back Marker

My original was a non-finned version, and it crapped out on me like most other people can attest to...from what I've heard the finned versions are a bit better due to the fact they have a heatsink, but not much of one for the amount of heat they generate. I'd say they're still a problem waiting to happen. I checked today on Ebay and there is still a bunch for sale and priced reasonably if you're looking.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Squid

xb9Fog is on a distinguished road
I also recently installed the '07-'08 ZX6R R/R on my '04 and it has a much more stable output than the OEM unit. The OEM would actually drop voltage with increased RPM's, it's a POS. This R/R holds a steady 14.5 no matter what the RPM or load, and was an easy install. I just looked at the schematics for both bikes, cut the wires and soldered, eliminating the connectors. Good, inexpensive upgrade. I paid like $36 to my door. Quality Mosfet unit

Last edited by xb9Fog; 12-19-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Well, I am going to pull the trigger then, I always liked mosfet amps back in my car stereo days.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your input. This forum is great for the knowledge of the SH. I just ran into a local mechanic here in SoCal that has a love for the SH and has built up 4 of them so I am going to try him out, maybe with the CCT change?

Thanks for the heads up with the new R&R development!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by xb9Fog
I also recently installed the '07-'08 ZX6R R/R on my '04 and it has a much more stable output than the OEM unit. The OEM would actually drop voltage with increased RPM's, it's a POS. This R/R holds a steady 14.5 no matter what the RPM or load, and was an easy install. I just looked at the schematics for both bikes, cut the wires and soldered, eliminating the connectors. Good, inexpensive upgrade. I paid like $36 to my door. Quality Mosfet unit
I got a rock steady 14.4V at all times with mine as well, and was really suprised how much cooler it was. 15 mins and it was slightly warm to the touch. I would have wired it direct, but I still wanted to have the ability to disconnect if I needed to remove the subframe. While I was at it I ran new larger gauge power/ground wires to battery/fuse box(similar to Eastern beaver's kits) and ran a larger gauge wire set to the stator to upgrade the factory setup.

I made a headlight relay kit(direct wire to battery) to eliminate the wimpy stock headlight wiring too, and after all of this I was amazed how big of a difference it made....light output is waaaay brighter now!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

[QUOTE=scooter72;321066]I picked up some weatherpack connectors for the power/ground and stator connections from Jim at Eastern Beaver to adapt it, which was about 10 bucks, and wired it all up.[QUOTE]

Thanks for all the great info on a low priced MOSFET unit. Ordered one off Fleabay.

Question though if I may.
From the photo, it appears you wired it to adapt to Eastern Beaver R/R harness? OR you replaced the stock plugs on the SuperHawk wiring harness to match the new plugs from Eastern Beaver? Sorry if I overlooked the obvious, it has been known to happen once or twice..
Old 12-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Back Marker

I replaced the factory S/H harness connectors with the weatherpack connectors from Eastern Beaver. I also stepped up the wire gauge as well and ran the connections direct to the battery.(I now have a weatherproof fuse holder for my main fuse) This way everything is sealed up and trouble free!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

10-4 all that. TNX
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

I installed the zx6 r/r the other day. I got it for 35$ off the bay. I just cut the plugs off and did the ol strip-solder-crimp-solder-heatshrink and plugged them into the factory plug. A few zipties and a goodly amount of electrical tape and viola, it fires right up. Now I keep the old one in the tank bag just in case and I can still plug it right back in. Thanks for the helpful info guys.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
If you have little experience dealing with wiring, crimping, etc you'll find some of the information in these videos useful. It will give you a bit better understanding how the regulator, plugs and wiring fit as part of the charging system.

Roadstercycle.com Videos

Edit:
Additional reading on testing.
http://roadstercycle.com/Stator%20Testing%20Example.htm

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Dan Cronin; 12-29-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Squid

herbvtr1000f is on a distinguished road
I just got this one off ebay for 25 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-00-...ac376d&vxp=mtr I was about to purchase it till i saw the phone number and then realized that the place selling it was just down the street from where I lived. Saved myself about 6 bucks in shipping. Just had to pay sales tax for hte statre of utah. Thank you so much for sharing this info on using the zx6 voltage regulator. gonna get this hooked up tonight and get riding again.

Last edited by herbvtr1000f; 05-21-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: for got to post link