Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Misfiring ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Misfiring ?'s

On my way in to work this AM. filled up with fuel and pulled onto the interstate during my commute to work. About 1 mile after I gassed up she started dieing. Like it was running out of fuel. It was still running and I just held a steady throttle on her. After a little of this (felt like it was running on just one cylinder) I opened the throttle back and forth and finally just held it wide open. It started to clear up and went away. Probably took @ 1-2 miles to clear up. After that I came another 15 miles on in to work with no issues. It ran like a new bike....

I was thinking it could be:
1) Bad gas -
2) Trash in one of the carbs-
3) ???

What do you think? Is this a sign of something that I am missing? Any similar experiences with this?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Known problem with the gas tank vent. If it does it again pull over and open your gas cap. It will probably solve your problem.

It happens if you fill up too far or get some fuel down the vent hose. The tank won't vent and then doesn't allow gas to the bike. Opening and closing the fuel cap usually does the trick.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:49 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HondaJim
Known problem with the gas tank vent. If it does it again pull over and open your gas cap. It will probably solve your problem.

It happens if you fill up too far or get some fuel down the vent hose. The tank won't vent and then doesn't allow gas to the bike. Opening and closing the fuel cap usually does the trick.
That makes sense...

I filled it to the brim and then some...

Thanks,
Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
That is similar to what happened to me. Sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder. Stopped and turned around, started for home, pulled into a parking lot, looked like the bike peed itself. Started back up and was running on both cylinders.

After reading this, I guess the vent hose cleared itself.