Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Making a temporary Dummy Motor? How-to

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Making a temporary Dummy Motor? How-to

So in my basement now I have a complete 98 Superhawk, minus the motor, and an 07 1000rr front end...I want to put the hawk up on stands so I can work on it, but without the motor securing the swingarm to the frame it's more than a little unstable.

My question is, would it be possible to make some kind of wooden block to replace the rear of the motor? So that I can attach the swingarm and have a stable bike I can put up on stands.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
It will have a lot less weight with out the motor I would put a stand under the front and just hang the back. you could also hang the front and put some blocks under the frame when you are working on the triple. with no plastic and no motor should be easy to do. The stands in the photo really did not do much where just there becouse the straps where not the best. wow my garage looks so different now much more like a shop will like it when its done put a lot of the old kitchen cabnets on the walls with insulation and osb and have a real work bench and my first vice. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Making a temporary Dummy Motor? How-to-mod%25205.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
SuperSport

Yea, there are exposed floor joists so I could drill a board onto them and hang it like I did in the garage for my tire change. It would be nice having the swingarm sturdy though, maybe I'll just take it off, it's in need of a brace anyway
Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
The only problem with hanging the rear is having it swing all over the place, but a front stand does help that a little. I would think that if you could get something for the swing arm bolt and the motor mount right in front of it to go through then the rear could be sturdy. I would not use a 2x4 because of all the stress from the wieght in that area, but something thicker and wider could work..
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If you weld and fab steel, bit of tubing and 1x.0625 flat stock would make quick work of a dummy mount for the rear.

I trashed motor or case that is nothing more them scrap aluminum might be an affordable solution as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I made an "engine dummy" from left over planks, that fit all the bolts and when put over a nice second wooden block also suspended both wheels... Put the bike on stands, slide the second block in or out, and move around... No images, sorry... That plus a strap to the roof made working easy... Wouldn't trust it with my bodyweight though...
Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for the tips, I'll post some pictures of whatever I figure out when I start working on it this weekend. A proper build thread will probably follow also