Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

LED issue, possibly R/R??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Squid

wall0228 is on a distinguished road
LED issue, possibly R/R??

I have got an issue that has me perplexed. I swapped out the front and rear signal lights and replaced the brake light with a clear alternatives integrated light and also installed the blink rate adjuster. My issues come in that when I have the key turned and the engine not running the signals work out fine, blink at the proper rate, and the tail light signals, but I have no brake light; then when I run the engine I still have signals but while they are blinking they flicker. So it is a constant light, then when the leds are suppose to be off they just flicker; and I still do not have a brake light but the integrated signals work.

The craziest thing about all of this is that I had them all working just as they were suppose to and rode it for awhile, and then all this crap happened and I didn't touch a thing. So I believe the wires are hooked up correctly since everything did work as it should; but could this be a bad blink rate adjuster or a bad R/R?? Does this sound like anything that someone else has experienced?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by wall0228; 04-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Never heard of anything that wild, but once in a while my integrated led tail light just blinks all red. I think its after hitting a big bump or something. Usually just a couple whacks will get back into line. Maybe you have some wires that have gotten crossed.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Check the brake light plug in the back, and the plugs for the front blinkers.

If your grounds are bad it will act weird. (I had something like this happen to me)
Old 04-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Check the brake light plug in the back, and the plugs for the front blinkers.

If your grounds are bad it will act weird. (I had something like this happen to me)
good to know, I'll have to check that on mine too.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Squid

So it sounds like a ground issue and not the R/R or blink rate adjuster? Everything is soldered and shrink wrapped so before I start to take those apart to find a ground issue I want to be sure it is not something else easy to fix.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I think you have the brake light plug upside down, I could be wrong.. But it will plug in either way, and when upside down you won't get a ground, and the LEDs will act weird. (because LEDs unlike normal bulbs, care about direction of current)

It may also just be a bad connection at that same plug, if one of the little wires makes poor contact it also will cause an intermittent ground. Leading to similar issues.

If it was your R/R or blink adjuster there would be other symptoms (flickering dash/gauges) or blinkers not blinking or blinking super fast.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Squid

I am not sure if anyone is looking in on this thread or if it is dead or not; but I tought I would post my results in hopes htat it helps someone in the future. After months of the bike being in storage, traveling out of state for work, surgery recovery, and many more pressing things to do; I finally got back to working on my electrical issues. After spending most of a fine Saturday tracking every wire I altered and spliced in converting bulbs to leds I came to the conclusion thee was nothing worng with them.

So after some choice words at the bike my Dad came along and said lets take a meter to the brake switches; turns out the entire problem was my damn rear brake switch was out of adjustment and was sending a constant signal. After looking like a dope it took my Dad all of about 2 mins to adjust it and say there, done.

So no bad wiring, no bad hardware, just a mal adjusted switch and everything works just fine again. Hope this saves someone else expereincing similar issues so time.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
go dad