Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

leaking hoses

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
leaking hoses

About one week after buying my bike from the original owner I went out to start the bike and noticed a few drips of coolant under bike.After completely tracing hoses for leaks I could find nothing.maybe not a good idea but I decided to go for a short ride to se if I could warm it up and get it to drip.It worked I followed a drip from the thermostat housing to the front cylinder water jacket.The jacket did not appear damaged.But the next problem was I could not get my hand any where near the hose clamp were I thought the leak was coming from.With the help of a screwdriver I pushed on the hose clamp.It was loose.I could not get ANY thing on the hose clamp.to make a long story short I had to remove the front fairing,the tank,air box,and pull the carbs out of the insulaters!!! All for one hose clamp!!!while it was apart I tourqued all hose clamps.I found this to be caused by the bike doing more sitting than ridding w/ the previuos owner then me getting it and ridding it fairly hard. and that big v-twin has some vibration! It was a lot of stress hope this helps someone out.I wont get rid of her for anything now