Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Laid her down, but oh so gently!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Angry Laid her down, but oh so gently!

Me again forum. Last week I had to lay my baby down, as I was taking on what I call, Dead Man's curve on one of my back roads. For the most part a lot of cosmetic damage but my forks are also bent, and the lower case assembly for the speedometer and tachometer needs to be replaced. I was fully geared, so only have my hurt pride and a few bruises! After getting things broken down, I have a few questions. First, I want to correct a nagging problem. After riding for a couple of hours, she won't initially turn over after shutdown. I have to let her sit, normally 10 minutes or so, and then she cranks up fine. R/R has been replaced, battery is good, kill switch is not engaged and working, plus wiring has been checked. No clue on this one, so appreciate some help! Next, I am showing pictures of the upper right and lower cowls. Tips are completely broken off, and want some suggestions on if I should fix existing, or completely replace. Finally, I would like to put on some new carb's. Best suggestions from the group. Plan to repaint everything with original color since I am breaking her down. Pictures attached, so let me know if you recognize any other corrections with the Eagle eyes of this forum. Much Appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Laid her down, but oh so gently!-naked-1a.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-naked-1.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-naked-3.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-naked-7.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-naked-8.jpg  

Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
The fairings are ABS, and may people have had great success fixing them (if you're re-painting it seems like a good use of time rather than buying new ones). I think some people just get zip ties (which are ABS) and use them to weld the whole thing together with a soldering iron or similar. Something like this:

Motorcycle Fairing Repair on abs plastic - Melting abs plastic Part 2 - YouTube

Never done it myself, but it seems applicable in your situation.

Are the shutdown problems a result of the lay down, or were they happening before?

Why replace the carbs? Seems arbitrary...
Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Back Marker

Thanks 7moore7 for fairing suggestion. Shutdown problem was occurring prior to lay down, and I feel this is a good time to really address. Carbs are a want along with fork modifications.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
no point in replacing your carbs. Go through them, clean, and adjust perhaps, but replacing them is completely unnecessary.

Oh, and no offense, but at no time, ever, do you "have to lay it down". Crashing is human error, nothing wrong with that, but spinning it like you did it on purpose means you learn nothing from whatever event caused you to crash.

You learn from it, and you grow as a rider. No fault in that, we've all been there.

Good luck with your repairs. I've had good luck as 7moore7 said about the zip ties. I'd pick up some screening or fiber tape to re-enforce the back of the cracks as well as some "plastex", (I've used plastic bumper repair kits in the past as well).
Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 AM
Back Marker

Thanks Matt, now that I finally got some sleep let me clarify. I do plan on cleaning and adjusting the carbs, to help her run a little bit leaner. What I also plan to replace is the exhaust. This is what I was looking for suggestions on. Been traveling for work, while also taking care of family, so my original message was a little off. Want an exhaust that looks good while also performing well on SuperHawk. Seen some great examples on other threads. Also need some help with shut down problem.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Badboy look up 8541Hawk's carb rejet procedure. Its a sticky thread, and worth doing as its inexpensive and you'll be getting in the carbs anyway.
In regards to your startup problem, I'm sure you've already been through and cleaned all your electrical connectors.
I can't recommend Leo Vince exhaust, save up for some Yoshimuras.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Squid

konigralph is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
The fairings are ABS, and may people have had great success fixing them (if you're re-painting it seems like a good use of time rather than buying new ones). I think some people just get zip ties (which are ABS) and use them to weld the whole thing together with a soldering iron or similar. Something like this:

Motorcycle Fairing Repair on abs plastic - Melting abs plastic Part 2 - YouTube

Never done it myself, but it seems applicable in your situation.

Are the shutdown problems a result of the lay down, or were they happening before?

Why replace the carbs? Seems arbitrary...
Video makes it looks like it pretty easy. Not too hard to do but.. what are the consequences if I was to **** up big time lol
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
8541Hawks set up is good. I run it.

Your starting issue, if when you turn the key on you get power and you hit the starter button which reults in no turn over makes me think of 2 things. 1, bad starter solenoid. 2 bad side stand switch. Check connections on both of those.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Back Marker

Thanks everyone! Found someone today who can redo my fairings, but we are searching for a complete fairing to compare since both mine are damaged. Couldn't find anything out there which show dimensions, hole locations, etc. Anyone else come across this issue? Called local Honda dealership and no go! Any local Superhawk riders in the Orlando area willing to drop by Bikes Only Body Shop, just off John Young Pkwy, at 3609 Old Winter Garden between 9-5:30pm shoot me a PM. I'll buy you a beer! This guy does great work at a reasonable price.

Yoshimuras or Leo Vince Exhaust? Now taking a vote. Value both RobetLever and Captainchaos advice. Both are reliable members! Will follow carb rejet procedures.

I'll check the connections for starter solenoid and side stand switch today.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Squid of the Year
Squid

Jonar is on a distinguished road
imo check the starter first, as a bad side stand switch would make the stand light on the dash flash or remain lit no matter the position of the side stand.

In my case, the fault was a malfunctioning neutral sensor, when the bike was hot it wouldn't read when neutral was on, so I had to use the clutch to start it. But that's easy to check (neutral light won't light up), unless you're experiencing some bad karma coincidences, like a broken/burnt bulb along with the sensor issues.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Badboy01
Thanks everyone! Found someone today who can redo my fairings, but we are searching for a complete fairing to compare since both mine are damaged.
Plan on replacing the front fairing stay with a brand new one from Honda if it's bent. These are very unlikely to align straight ever again if bent. Don't bother wasting your time and money with used ones either. Just my opinion.

Last edited by CrankenFine; 06-17-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: shortened quote for ease of understanding
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Back Marker

Damn, I love this forum. Always keeps you out of trouble and will kick you in the butt when needed!
Jonar, you are spot on with my issue. When my bike gets hot, it has a hell of a time finding neutral, and when I attempted to shift from 1st to 2nd it would appear to get stuck in neutral for a moment. When I shut down, it could never find neutral so I would have to wait several minutes for it to cool down, before it would start. Checked connections for starter solenoid and side stand switch and they are fine. I'll change the neutral sensor and see how things go.
CrankenFine, I know it is difficult to see from pictures, but luckily fairings were not bent. My zero gravity windshield imploded, and pulled the tips of the fairings off with it. I just have one long crack on right upper, and need the tips re-molded. This is why I am going with my body work professional, and still looking for some specs or someone in area to assist. He's fixing and I'll be painting. Appreciate all of your input.
8541Hawks thread on carbs is magic! Already on them....
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Looks like your fairing stay may be bent too...gotta watch for that, when you try to re-assemble it, things wont line up right and will crack over time. I tried bending mine back into shape when I went down, no luck....
And body work is a total time suck if you want it to look nice and not like you spary painted over everything...may be wiser to suck it up an find replacements on fleabay. Just my thoughts...Then paint, thats $$$ an clear coat, an more $$$ LOL I think i was out close to $800 after my low speed collision with an errant driver. Bent forks, fairing stay, broken fairings, headlight, windshield, bent brake lever....damn lol
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Back Marker

Looks like you have already felt some of my pain Bandit400man. I have been looking everywhere for new fairings, including Ebay and Craigslist, but they are hard to come by, especially in Titanium color. If I did purchase, it would appear my paint gun would have to be pulled anyway so I took the approach to try and fix existing first. You know how we VTR guys/ladies try to save a dollar. Found them new on Partzilla for $255.35 each, but not sure if painted. The forum is making me feel as though I should purchase new so I'll pull the trigger if necessary. Thanks for your support.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Squid of the Year
Squid

If it turns out to be the sensor, there might be an easy fix. Waiting for your update while I ask my mechanic his exact moves to share it with you.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
The OEM Honda fairings you get from Ronayers or Partzilla are brand new painted (with decals) Honda parts. With regards to the exhausts I think it's mainly going to come down to your own personal preference. I personally have never had any of the "chirping" issues I've heard others complain about with the Leo's. Seems to be related to the end cap and dB reducing insert. There's some good info posted up here elsewhere on the subject. Otherwise I have a pair of carbon high mounts (not sure if they're still available) and the fit and finish is really nice. The nice thing (again depending on your taste) about the Yoshis, at least the street slip ons that are probably the only ones still available, is they're the only slip ons I've heard that even resemble quiet. I was also very impressed with the quality of the Delkevics and if you're buying brand new they're priced pretty reasonably.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Back Marker

Carbs are done and back on the bike! Still tracking down another Hawk owner to finalize fairings, we want to get the length and measurements exact. Looking pretty good thus far. I ordered the replacement right mirror, new Zero Gravity windscreen, plus case assembly for speedometer and tach from Partzilla. Purchased original paint from ColorRite, and will be completing painting once all parts arrive. Now moving to the front forks!

Jonar, I ordered the Neutral Sensor, fairly inexpensive, and anxiously await your mechanics feedback. I've also been researching the replacement and will tackle after forks are completed.

Captainchaos and Robertlever, I like the look of both the Leo's and Yoshi's so torn on this one. I'll keep you updated as I plan to complete this as final step. Really like my stock, so may keep them on for a little longer.
Sorry no pictures, but working all night to get this done. I'll post once job is complete. Ride or Die!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Ever looked into these?
They Sound great. Not too loud and not too quite. A little gurgle and pop on deceleration, but I kinda like that. Makes the 'hardly' riders stare LOL
Name:  IMAG0001.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  67.3 KB

Also, my brother has a MIVV high mount carbon can on his SV650...nice fit and finish on that setup, albeit a bit of a more matte carbon finish.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Bandit400man
Ever looked into these?
They Sound great. Not too loud and not too quite. A little gurgle and pop on deceleration, but I kinda like that. Makes the 'hardly' riders stare LOL

Also, my brother has a MIVV high mount carbon can on his SV650...nice fit and finish on that setup, albeit a bit of a more matte carbon finish.
Those look very nice! I'm adding to the list of possible choices.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
Ever looked into these?

Huh. Never have seen em. I like the looks and how they tuck behind stock passenger foot peg mounts
Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Squid of the Year
Squid

Originally Posted by Badboy01

Jonar, I ordered the Neutral Sensor, fairly inexpensive, and anxiously await your mechanics feedback. I've also been researching the replacement and will tackle after forks are completed.

Lol, my possible fix had to do with repairing the faulty sensor, not buying a new one

Anyway, I guess since you've done it it's all for the best, just install it and check if the problem persists. If you need help installing it just let me know, I might be able to guide you from overseas
Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Back Marker

Completed the forks, and as usual the forum is way ahead of me! Crankenfine and Bandit400man were spot on concerning the Upper Stay Cowl being bent and difficult to bend. I went ahead and placed an order for a new Stay, and will be replacing when the part arrives next week. Thanks for looking out for a Squid again.

Jonar , really appreciate your input since you were able to help me identify an ongoing issue that I've had with my SuperHawk since purchase. I replaced the Neutral Sensor switch yesterday with the help of my bike mechanic buddy. Should alleviate my issue. Those sensors are only $5.00 US here in the states, but tricky to replace. Glad I gave you a laugh....

CaptainChaos, I appreciate the your offer for the carbon high mounts! Send me a PM, and let me know how much you are asking. I'm sure we can work something out.

Still looking for a local Hawk rider to drop by shop to finalize fairings. I passed two Hawks yesterday, YES I SAID TWO, just down the street from the shop. But as usual for the HAWK riders, I was unable to catch up with you in order to ask for help, LOL. I know you guys are out there, so please lend a man a hand. Bodyshop guy is starting to think us HAWK riders don't stick together and I know better. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Superstock

Beautiful exhaust Bandit.
I looked up and down for Devil cans because they had the best sound I heard for VTR cans on U-Tube. Sadly, they are no longer available.
I'm jealous Captain C, but I'm glad somebody got a good pair of Leos.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Superstock

By the way 2 Brothers have a good sound, but can be loud.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Back Marker

Thanks RoberLever. I received some other recommendations for 2 Brothers also. Choices, choices....
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Oh I'm sorry I meant I have the Leo's on my bike, I wasn't actually looking to sell them... Honestly the stock mufflers are beautiful polished stainless, and if you're just after the sound, you can remove the outer baffles and drill into the next one in and they'll sound just as good as aftermarket pipes and besides the cost of some drill bits (which most probably already have) and a little of your time it's free!

Unfortunately many of the aftermarket exhausts you see are no longer being made, so a lot of the cool ones you're gonna have to get lucky and find here or on ebay.

As far as mounting new fairings I've found it useful to mock them up, then eyeball lining the holes up with the mounting brackets. I lightly tap the mounting brackets with a plastic mallet until the holes line up PERFECT, and that way you don't put unnecessary stress on the fairings (Yes I've seen brand new ones develop stress cracks around the holes because they didn't line up perfect). Post up some pics when you're done. I'm curious to see your results with the Colorrite paints. Good stuff but it ain't cheap!

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Back Marker

No problem Captainchaos, getting many good ideas for exhausts and I'm sure to find the right one that fits my needs. Thanks for the suggestions for mounting the fairings.

Waiting on parts now, but hopeful to get her completed in the next few weeks. Post pictures when done.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

Smiling because all the mechanical work on my Hawk is done, and I was able to take her our for a spin for the first time today in weeks. Here is some knowledge I have gained up to this point. 1) If you are having shifting problems, specifically to neutral, the neutral position switch may be the problem and answer. I had an on-going issue with my Hawk that has now been corrected. Listen to the advice of the forum members. 2) Replacing the front stay with new is the optimal solution if yours gets damaged. I searched long and hard for a USED replacement, but didn't see a stay I would trust. Partzilla can send a great replacement product at a reasonable price, but be prepared for long delays, and be sure to verify all part numbers and items to be shipped prior to buying. If returned, they will attempt to charge a Restocking fee. 3) Broken fairings can be molded, I researched, but it is very expensive. The best bet is to work with Superhawk forum members for a replacement, then Ebay or Craiglists. You'll get a direct fit and be happy. 4) Aerosol paint from ColorRite is spot on, but finished product did not look as good to me. Go ahead and opt for the spray, then find some buddies with a shop or paint gun and do it right. Spray guns sell for as little as $60 at Lowes, and a compressor can be rented. Best advice, PATIENCE my friends! Hope this helps....
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Back Marker

The tank, fairings, and tail cowl have been repaired and primed if needed. Many thanks to my friend Jose at Bikes Only Bodyshop in Orlando. Now I understand why having your pieces professionally done can be expensive. The work is very labor intensive and time consuming, if you plan to do it right! We'll be block sanding, then wet sanding this weekend before I finally paint and clear coat. Almost at the end of the road, and my Hawk will be rolling again....
Attached Thumbnails Laid her down, but oh so gently!-primed-2.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-primed-1.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-primed-3.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-primed-4.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-primed-5.jpg  

Old 07-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Back Marker

Here are the photos of the completed painting and clear coat for my Hawk. I'm very happy with the outcome. For you would be painters, be prepared for long hours, plenty of sweat, and patience to get the job done right. I'm reassembling my Hawk now, and will have completed photos this weekend. Finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, and looking forward to a long ride. Thanks to all on the forum that helped me get here!
Attached Thumbnails Laid her down, but oh so gently!-paint-1.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-paint-2.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-paint-3.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-paint-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Laid her down, but oh so gently!