SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Just bought bike started and smokes (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/just-bought-bike-started-smokes-28351/)

saige 05-27-2012 09:15 AM

ok,so,if i understand right,the petcock is some what working,but when the bike is off,the petcock should hold the gas back.
but you say the rear carb is constantly taking in gas,could this be the result from just the petcock not holding back the gas,and thats why the rear carb is taking in the gas.

saige 05-27-2012 09:17 AM

i just re-read your post,the petcock must have the diaphragm and vacuum hooked up,otherwise,gas will just free flow,this must be fixed first before you could move on.

saige 05-27-2012 09:19 AM

i havnt got it confirmed just yet,but a goldwing diaphragm might work,just gotta use the old parts from your petcock.
but im not sure,i dont have a old superhawk diaphragm to match up to the goldwing diaphragm.
since you have the old one,you might be able to try and match it to the goldwing or another kit.

saige 05-27-2012 09:23 AM

as stated above,this part number should be the petcock rebuild kit 16953-ML0-034
if you type it into google,you get a mass amount of sites,find the cheapest and call the company and talk to the person,so you can make sure its not on back order and they have it in stock.
otherwise,its gonna be a long wait.

saige 05-27-2012 09:31 AM

sorry for so many posts,but so we and alot of people reading this are on the same page,read and look at this link.
to anybody needing a petcock rebuild,just call your desired company and make sure they have it in stock,and you good to go.
its possible they dont exist,so be ready for that,but it is a starting point.
and from what i just been researching,the goldwing kit,or just the diaphragm just might work.
ok,i will shut up now ;)
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ix-pics-19843/

Slicknick4209 05-27-2012 10:01 AM

Yes if I leave the gas on it is free flowing but if the float and float needle were both good shouldn't it shut the flow off and not let it continue through the carb

saige 05-27-2012 10:29 AM

i believe it should,but one part of bike i havnt really dived into is the carbs dis-assembly,so i cant answer 100% on that.
i would think the petcock helps in that process.hopefully,someone can chime in on that and give you a definite answer.

8541Hawk 05-27-2012 10:43 AM

Yes it should but the key would is "if"......

The down side is if a float valve sticks or maybe gets a little dirt on it, you then get a crankcase full of fuel.

So, yeah, it can work but is it worth taking that kind of chance?

BeerHunter 05-27-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Slicknick4209 (Post 334023)
Yes if I leave the gas on it is free flowing but if the float and float needle were both good shouldn't it shut the flow off and not let it continue through the carb

Correct. The floats will stop fuel from flowing if they are functioning correctly. The vacuum petcock is a safety device to stop the fuel flow in case of a float failure. The petcock was working AT LEAST 90 percent before you removed the diaphragm, but since you bypassed the safety device, now the end result it painfully obvious. The rear float is not functioning.

When you asked earlier about how to remove the float needle seat, I presumed that you had already taken the carbs off and removed the float and needle.

Slicknick4209 05-27-2012 12:47 PM

I understand about the petcock. And I did have the floats and valve off but they looked good float was normal color and there was no gas in them valve didn't have an imprint so figures they were good cur gas is coming out of the Carb into intake so they are my only guess at the problem I will order petcock diaphragm on Tue since everyone is closed but thanks for the help everyone without you guys. Would have taken me a lot longer keep you posted any thoughts please if you think I'm wrong but tinkering I'm on the right track and the more digging I do the more I can't wait to ride this amazing machine these bikes are pretty bad

Slicknick4209 05-27-2012 12:48 PM

Got my 98 banshee going wonderfully also if anyone in my are is interested

saige 05-27-2012 01:00 PM

too bad you dont know someone with a vtr that is running,you could just put that tank on and test to see if the problem is still there with the carbs.

8541Hawk 05-27-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Slicknick4209 (Post 334040)
And I did have the floats and valve off but they looked good float was normal color and there was no gas in them valve didn't have an imprint so figures they were good cur gas is coming out of the Carb into intake so they are my only guess at the problem

Yes this would mean it is not working for some reason. Until you figure out why it will keep happening whenever the bike is running, working petcock or not.

BeerHunter 05-27-2012 10:36 PM

The only other possibility I can see would be if the carb body has a crack somewhere along one of the fuel supply bores within the float chamber (EXTREMELY unlikely).

If cracked, the fracture would have to be pretty severe in order to flow that much fuel, IMO.

Is the float pin bent or damaged in any way? Is the pin missing?? Does the float move freely? Did you shine a light into the float seat and check for irregularities? How did you clean the seat?

If all else is good, then most likely the needle is bad. It only takes a very small score mark to cause problems.

I had a float problem on a GS1000. The #2 carb would overflow continually when refilling the float bowls after the bike had been sitting for at least a week. Over time the fuel in those old VM carbs would evaporate and leave the bowls dry. Using the plastic handle of a screwdriver and tapping on the outside of the float bowl would make the flow stop. The carbs would then work properly until the float bowls were drained, or until it sat unused for about a week. Later I discovered that the needle in that carb was bad.

saige 05-27-2012 11:16 PM

and very important,you might want to invest in another oil filter and more oil.the first run thru is gonna be dirty and gas residue,when you do get the parts you need.
can do cheap filter and rotella oil,just not sure which rotella to use.

Slicknick4209 05-30-2012 04:44 PM

Ok so I got the bike to quit leaking and flooding. Temporarily but I had it ru nning for awhile last night ran alright so I started to try and adjust carbs and girl showed up so I went in today I just tried firing it up had to pull chock. It knocked as it started then it knocked again with a small flame out of rear Carb??????my luck NO GOOD!!!!let me no what you guys think and don't say lifter hit my piston

saige 05-30-2012 07:52 PM

until the petcock is right,dont mess with it.

GTS 05-30-2012 10:41 PM

Well it's impossible for a lifter to hit your piston because the head is in the way. ;-) It's really hard to diognose these problems over the net without being able to be there and see what's going on. But yeah make sure that petcock is proper before you start trying to run it much more.

BeerHunter 05-31-2012 07:29 AM

How did you stop the fuel from leaking? Much detailed information is needed in order for anyone to assist.

Slicknick4209 05-31-2012 01:38 PM

Well to stop the petcock I cut both seal parts of the diaphragm so I could seal the petcock so if I have the gas on its free flowing pluged off the vacuum part of the petcock. Then I put a clip on the float valve so that it would go in the valve seat a lil more I did scar the seat a lil when I tried to remove it before I new you couldn't. But I cleaned that up so it could be I fixed the seat or the clip worked but that it

Slicknick4209 05-31-2012 01:40 PM

I did remove the tps but I 98% sure its where its supposed to be

8541Hawk 05-31-2012 03:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14104Attachment 14103Attachment 14104Attachment 14103

saige 05-31-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Slicknick4209 (Post 334436)
I did remove the tps but I 98% sure its where its supposed to be

make sure 100% its where it should be,very important.

7moore7 05-31-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by saige (Post 334453)
make sure 100% its where it should be,very important.

Eh, it'll affect the way the bike runs, but it can run disconnected if you want... it's not catastrophic or damaging in any way. Don't forget about it, but my very important list includes things like CCT's/timing, brakes, fuel spilling all over the exhaust, etc...

Not trying to override you or anything ;)

saige 05-31-2012 04:52 PM

lol,naw its cool,just considering all other problems,its best to get this where it needs to be so he can just focus on carbs.

BeerHunter 05-31-2012 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Slicknick4209 (Post 334435)
...Then I put a clip on the float valve so that it would go in the valve seat a lil more I did scar the seat a lil when I tried to remove it before I new you couldn't. But I cleaned that up so it could be I fixed the seat or the clip worked but that it

Start shopping for a set of used carbs. Check the classifieds forum on this website. If nobody is selling any, start a 'Wanted' thread in that forum.

Slicknick4209 06-01-2012 03:31 AM

Ok so petcock cover/diaphragm is ordered so since I Have to wait 7-10 days for the part should I take off exhaust make sure no gas sitting.g in there timing what's cct timing um any important things I should go through things I can check to make sure is ok any tips or tricks that I can do if there are forums you can name I can just read you don't have to explain just need to k.ow where to look thanks for everything guys

Slicknick4209 06-06-2012 02:41 PM

Alllright!!!!!!! Got my petcock kit here we go lets see what's up

Slicknick4209 06-06-2012 06:29 PM

Ok for anyone having g problems this forum is off the hook really all these senior members are great and knowledgeable they really do go outta there way to help complete strangers people they will probably. Never even meet I've had my bike about three weeks and haven't even rode it but one thing I have learned from these guys is to be patient so I have I've learned so much about these bikes its unreal so I have been reading a lot of different threads on here there reallys is a rediculous amount of info just got the petcock diaphragm (thanks to Saige) your awesome really helped me a lot yellexting at me and stuff LOL but lots of great info lots of great help thanks to all of you if not for you guys would have just parted this bike outhad no clue about any of it but now shoot.... so seniors just installed petcock doing the tps mod now was at 800+ is it ok to go ahead and rip that pairing g crap out now or leave it till carbs adjusted and one more shot out for you Saige your awesome thanks for all the help and everyone else oh plus just need opinion put banshee on Craigslist got a Guy wanting to trade an 2005 R1 for it had 40000 miles on it but says it has had great up keep I'm gourmet g to do it haven't risen either a hawk or r1 if had to choose witch one should I keep your the experts let me

Slicknick4209 06-06-2012 06:31 PM

Know..... putting pics of r1 in my photos