Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Just bought bike started and smokes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by saige
Im guessing he didn't lose that much fuel,maybe around a gallon since the light comes on when there is a gallon left.
It is one of those thing of it can be real hard to trouble shoot on the 'net.

Not sure what info is correct. So I would also check the petcock. It would be east to do. Either disassemble it and actually check the diaphragm or just pull a vacuum on it and see if gas flows out of the tube.

Though the fuel in the airbox does also sound like a stuck float so it also might be a couple of different problems going on.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Yes,when I worked on a bike with simular problems,it was so easy to catch cause I can see it.What you don't see in the video is,I put my gas tank on his bike and it ran flawless,so when we put his back that's how we found problem quickly.
If we had pics of what he is seeing and doing,than maybe we could figure it out quickly.
But it's either rear carb or petcock.
Which exhaust is the gas coming from.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saige
Im guessing he didn't lose that much fuel,maybe around a gallon since the light comes on when there is a gallon left.
My same thoughts. Not to mention people generally have a tendency to embellish a bit.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
the boss
SuperBike

Originally Posted by GTS
My same thoughts. Not to mention people generally have a tendency to embellish a bit.
lol,i tend to do that myself at times
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Slicknick4209 is on a distinguished road
Ok sorry my last statement was all messed up I took the airbox lid off and took the air filter out then I had to run somewhere when I came back the bottom off the air box had quite a bit of gas in it the gas was coming out of both exhausts I had it running and it was coming out of the back side of the mufflers alot of gas but I rode it anyway hoping something g would work out smoked like crazy what pics do you want
Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM
the boss
SuperBike

Wow,hmmmmm first check to make sure no gas is leaking from the tank itself.when you lift tank,you will see a plate with wires and 4 screws.that is for your gas guage,the o-ring could be bad,that might explain the loss of gas very quickly.Once we determine there is no holes,rust or bad o-rings that is causing leaks.than we could go to the next ideas.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

K sounds good getting off work now and yes went to gas station got 2.5 gallons of gas and I rolled into gas station maybe maybe ten mins of run time
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
You might try taking the carbs off and leaving all the fuel lines hooke up and watch to see if fuel starts leaking out of them while just sitting there. If it really is leaking that much fuel past the floats and into the engine I'm surprised it hasn't hydrolocked. while sitting. If that is the case you've got both a petcock issue as well as a float issue because if it's just sitting there not running the fuel shouldn't be flowing through the petcock.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

I understand what your saying but I have the tank off and it dosent leak I shook it and driblets came out I just have to get it to my house and work at talk I have no wifi or signal where its at
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

And of course my local fun store can't even get rebuild kit for petcock they do t even have the plugs
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
the boss
SuperBike

ok,so if you shook the tank,nothing at all is leaking at all from anywhere?
did you feel underneath the tank all over to make sure no wetness.
some driblets,like you say lol,might come out from the petcock from some left over in the
little outlets there.
find someplace where it is ok to put the tank and turn the petcock to on and see if it starts draining.if i understand correctly from what other members have said,it shouldnt run,or very,very little.
if nothing is going on,i would assume thats good,the only thing that should be happening from shaking it is some gas might come out the drain hole from tank and im assuming there is a gasket or rubber ring on the gas lid cap itself when you open it.
if so,than its back to bad petcock or fouled up carbs.

just like what was said,take carbs out,than hook up carbs to petcock like it would be on the bike.and turn the petcock on to see what the carbs do.but dont swing or shake the carbs or put carbs on its side.gas will find its way out.
but put all this in safe place where it can be washed away.
im assuming too,you checked your gas lines for cracks and leaks,and it does have its ring clamps on both ends of the hose.
did you look around the motor for gas residue.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Or a combo of both. If the petcock is broken "on" or in other words runs through the fuel lines when no vacuum is applied, the floats should stop the flow. So the petcock could be shot from sitting and the floats not working or seating properly, you could have an overflow through the vent lines or something... just a thought.

Look at all the periods I have on my keyboard! I have extras if your phone doesn't have that button! Here's some: ............................................

Haha, jk
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Lol man I've been everywhere had to order plugs gonna have to find the 5mm to 1/8 online and can't even find a simple 1/8 t 3 parts stores and two hardware stores its crazy so I went home gonna try and get bike home tomorrow so. I canget you guys some pics how many quarts of oil with oil filtration change also should wait till I find this leak before I do change right?plus my battery dosent have a good charge either that's nothing right thanks for all the help we'll get it LOL driplets was the only word I could think of at the time
Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM
the boss
SuperBike

it takes a full 4 quarts of oil,you will see it way past full,thats ok,once you start the bike,it will go to normal level.
its important to see if any gas is in the oil,im hoping the leak or cause of this is found before you start again.the gas going thru the exhaust is bad,not good on the rings or anything the oil goes thru really,so sooner it get filtered out,the better.

so,are you sure the tank is good and not leaking from anywhere.or you just did a quick shake to it just to see.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
the boss
SuperBike

ohhhh,and do charge battery,you might be turning on and off the bike,so it be good to have it charged,do you have a battery tender.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Yeah like I said its not at my house I went to the closest place to megotta get it on a trailer and get it back to my house but I'm going to kick its *** tomorrow so ill have answers and probably more questions. But yeah I have battery tender and I have to order the 5mm to 1/8 fitting. And yeah all I did was shake it back and forth and around and it was just drippingout of the holes on the petcock and I did try to turn the gas on and off on the petcock no gas came out
Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM
the boss
SuperBike

OK,well,that's a good sign of the petcock at least.once its home,you will be better off.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Ok got her home. Gonna get it up level on something on get down to carbs. pretty sure petcock needs rebuilt but can't find one every site has them back ordered when I set tank on bike to move it home it was leaking from petcock turned fuel off no leak
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
the boss
SuperBike

i wish i could say for sure,but i would think a little bit is gonna come thru when its open,but maybe not.hopefully,someone who knows the for sure answer will chime in.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Still gonna try the lift the carbs up and turn it over
Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Slicknick4209
Squid

But my dumbass forgot battery tender ****
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM
the boss
SuperBike

lol,it will all come together,i go thru the same stuff.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Just curious can o just take the diaphragm out of the petcock cap off the nipple that the vacuum is supposed to go on and plug the vacumm to the intake? Or would this cause problems
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Diaphragm is bad
Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM
the boss
SuperBike

No,you need the diaphrgam in there,no way around it.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:39 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Don't buy the crappy e-bay rebuild kits either. This is the part number for the set that replaces everything but a couple of the plastic pieces and the spring (I think, can't remember everything that was included):

16953-ML0-034
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Slicknick4209
Squid

How do you take out the pilot screw and easy way to get the float needle seat out
Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The float needle seat is pressed into the carb body. There is not any way you could easily accomplish this at home.

Are you asking how to remove them for cleaning? What does it look like in there?

Mixture screw removal can be done several ways. Here are some ideas.

removing-pilot-jet-how

carb-tools-mixture-screw
Old 05-26-2012, 06:51 PM
the boss
SuperBike

must be very carefull with the pilot screw,if you cant get the right tool,than may have to notch it so you can use a flat head on it.
but be very carefull doing that,you dont have many chances.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Slicknick4209
Squid

Ok so I cut the seals off the diaphragm. And sealed petcock I blocked of the vacuum from the petcock cleaned carbs with cleaner and air put everything back together ran it for a min had it all hooked up to balance carbs and it didn't sound right so decided to drain oil and fond all my gas I'm stupid for trying to save $50 in oil because there was so much gas and oil in there it beyond nuts so with the oil plug still out it didn't stop draining so in vestigated and rear Carb is just constantly draining gas in down into the intake coming out of the needle seat so someone said it it was a combination of both I assume float or float valve are bad float looked good though and the diaphragm was bad so now I just gotta get parts and sucks holiday weekend but that's where I stand

Quick Reply: Just bought bike started and smokes