Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Instrument cluster just died - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Squid

InTheChips is on a distinguished road
Instrument cluster just died - help!

Hello all,

I was riding my '98 VTR1000 this morning and all seemed well until I pulled into the gas station to refill. I noticed that the Neutral indicator light on the instrument cluster did not work. Then I noticed the tachometer, speedometer, and odometer also had ceased operation suddenly.

The High Beam Indicator on the cluster still works, as do the turn signal indicators.

What could be the issue? At first I thought there might be a blown fuse for the instrument cluster (or at least the speedo/tach/odo). I am not much of a mechanic but consulted my Honda factory service manual for my bike. The manual's wiring diagram/schematic shows 6 fuses in the fuse box, as follows:

1) Odometer
2) Fan Motor
3) Headlight
4) Turn Signal/ front rear brake/horn
5) Meter/Tail/Illumination
6) Ignition/Starter

Has this problem happened to anyone else? Any idea what the cause is? After noticing the problem I rode for about 50 miles, with no trouble other than a non-functioning speedo/tach/odometer. Could the odometer fuse as shown in the wiring diagram control the speedo and tach also?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Eric
Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Check your plugs to the cluster first, fuses second, replace regulator/rectifier.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
chances are,its just a fuse,happened to me a couple of times.
if i remember correctly,it all does go out except a light or 2.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the check all fuses, check the plugs behind the dash (only 3 bolts to lift the dash).
If its the regulator then the bike is dying anyway & can only be revived with a new regulator. Was the bike still running fine?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The odometer fuse blowing will not cause your problem.

Everything you mentioned that has stopped working runs from the same fuse. That fuse also controls side stand indicator light, oil pressure light, tail light and license lights, and instrument illumination. : 10A fuse #5 Meter/Tail/Illumination

If you have tapped power into any of these wires for accessory usage, then the circuit is overloading. There could also be a short and finding the problem may take some time.

As mentioned by others, this could also be a symptom of a failing regulator and is not an uncommon occurrence.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The No.1 fuse is for the memory of the Odo, not the operation of the gauge itself... As BeerHunter said, all the part that stopped working is running of the No.5 fuse...

And the gauge indicators for the headlight and turnsignal is actually running of the headlight/signal circuits, so they aren't fused with the rest of the gauges...

But, the correct procedure to check, is to actually look at the fuses... Don't need a manual for that, or the internet... A blown fuse is rather obvious to spot really...

And once you have swapped that fuse, check that you have the spare fuses in the fuse box, and that they are actually good, and not burned out swaps already...

And when you are in there... Take look at the R/R... Measure the output (over the battery terminals) at idle and at 5000 rpm... It should not be over 14.5V... If it's an original part from 98, it's a fair chance that it's on borrowed time, and if it didn't cause the blown fuse, it will probably do so in short time...
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Squid

InTheChips is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all you guys for the helpful information - I appreciate it! Especially to BeerHunter - he was right on the money. I checked the fuse he mentioned and it was blown. All the other fuses were fine. I turned on the key, and the odometer and other lights work fine once again. I have not road tested the bike yet - with any luck the fuse will not blow again!

I especially appreciate the help since 1) I am not a mechanical genius by any means and 2) the Honda service manual was not much help - there is a wiring schematic but that is it, no section on fuses whatsoever - not even mentioned in the index. The manual doesn't even state where to find the fusebox! Luckily I have helpful people on this site to lend a hand. Thanks again!

Eric
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I especially appreciate the help since 1) I am not a mechanical genius by any means and 2) the Honda service manual was not much help - there is a wiring schematic but that is it, no section on fuses whatsoever - not even mentioned in the index. The manual doesn't even state where to find the fusebox! Luckily I have helpful people on this site to lend a hand. Thanks again!
Did you d/l the OCRd version of the Honda Service Manual "The manual doesn't even state where to find the fusebox!"

Try 16.0 pg. 281 and 1-21 pg. 24 and 17-0 pg. 290 and 18-0 pg. 301 and 23-8 pg. 348

:-)

Last edited by Wicky; 07-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
All you have to do is look. The fuse box is under the seat.