Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

installing my Scorpion slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Squid

DaNewKidd is on a distinguished road
installing my Scorpion slip-on

Hi guys,

I'm putting on a pair of Carbon Fiber Scorpion exhaust I picked up off craiglist (for $100), the guy who sold it to me gave me a tube of Permatex RTV silicone Hi temp and said I should use it as a seal for the pipes...is that really necessary? Should I just install them and give it a good clamping and if it leaks THEN i try the RTV gasket seal?

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
There should be a gasket with your OEM exhaust, if your new system needs it, reuse it unless it is toast (with no goop) if it is toast, pick up a new one:

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687...-750/Source/HO

I don't recall if I reused mine or removed them, but either way I didn't need to buy new ones or use any goop when I installed my MIGs.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Your understanding of it is absolutely correct... Use goop only if neccessary to stop leaks than can't be plugged any other more appropriorate way...
Old 06-08-2010, 03:12 AM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
I have Scorpion hi-level race can's (no baffles straight through) on my bike, they are stainless steel not carbon. I bought mine about 8yrs ago, so the link pipes my be made different now, but without using a joint sealer mine will pop and bang on the overrun like mad. It's OK for at first, a bit of a novelty even, but after a while I got fed up with it. My Scorpions are not designed to be used with the original joint gasket.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Squid

zubzero is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ripvanwinkle
I have Scorpion hi-level race can's (no baffles straight through) on my bike, they are stainless steel not carbon. I bought mine about 8yrs ago, so the link pipes my be made different now, but without using a joint sealer mine will pop and bang on the overrun like mad. It's OK for at first, a bit of a novelty even, but after a while I got fed up with it. My Scorpions are not designed to be used with the original joint gasket.
I have also scorpion slip-ons and they are not ment to be used with the oem joint gasket. mine are stainless steel round and i bought them last winter. payd 300€ for pair of new ones. I tried to put the origal gaskets but they don´t fit, the fitting of the pipes is too tight to but any gasket in there. Friend of mine used some silicone based sealant that stands for 340celsius heat or so, i just let it leak for while. After few runs its blokked by it self
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Squid

shieeeeeeeeeeeet while installing the slip ons i stripped the allen bolt that holds the lower pipes to the foot peg...now there's just a round hole in the allen and the hex nut behind is stripped also.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited by DaNewKidd; 06-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
left hand drill bit and easy out
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Squid

i ended up slamming another allen key one size up and it made enough grip to wrench it free...the scorpion exhaust is on yippeeeee

but right away i noticed smoke coming from one of the joints...not sure if it's exhaust leak or the WD-40 burning off...the smoke only seems to come once the pipes get hot

and what a sound! bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Congrats. The smoke is probably **** burning off. Take a strip of toilet paper and move it around the joint. You'll see the paper move before you'll feel it on your hand if there's a leak