Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ign timing wheel mod???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Ign timing wheel mod???

I'm interested in advancing my timing 3 or 4 degrees and the FactoryPro part is backordered into the next century. A good machinist should be able to weld and recut the keyway on the stocker 3 degrees off no? How is that little wheel attached? Woodruff key? Slotted shaft? screw holes? Anybody remember? Does it spin at half speed of crank or full speed? Etc etc???
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Squid

SuperLoud
Ignition advance rotor for sale

I've got a brand new Ignition advancer in the package....got lazy and never installed.

It's a Factory 4 degree ignition advance Rotor
For VTR 1000 97-05
Part no RTR-HON-77-04 (+4 degree)

I'll sell it to you for $45 US plus shipping from Springfield, MO zip 65804 - you can decide on who ships.

I prefer paypal.

Shane 417-425-8046
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Superstock

Done deal...love this forum!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
I'm interested in advancing my timing 3 or 4 degrees and the FactoryPro part is backordered into the next century. A good machinist should be able to weld and recut the keyway on the stocker 3 degrees off no? How is that little wheel attached? Woodruff key? Slotted shaft? screw holes? Anybody remember? Does it spin at half speed of crank or full speed? Etc etc???
Yeah, what he said! Can I mod the stock unit? FP doesn't even have the VTR's page up anymore (wtf?!?!?!), so ..... ?

Unless someone has one they wanna sell. LOL!

Oh, come to think of it, how DOES this thing work, anyway? I can't find a sensor on the fiche.

PATIA!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have one that I will part with... its not "new in the package" but was hardly used - few hundred miles at most then found out the '02s and later already have a more advanced curve and took it out... pm if interested, thinking $35 for it.

Originally Posted by Slim
Yeah, what he said! Can I mod the stock unit? FP doesn't even have the VTR's page up anymore (wtf?!?!?!), so ..... ?

Unless someone has one they wanna sell. LOL!

Oh, come to think of it, how DOES this thing work, anyway? I can't find a sensor on the fiche.

PATIA!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Superstock

Do it Slim....I love the difference since the swap. It's easy enough to do it.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Anyone else have one sitting around?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RickB
I have one that I will part with... its not "new in the package" but was hardly used - few hundred miles at most then found out the '02s and later already have a more advanced curve and took it out... pm if interested, thinking $35 for it.
BUWUWHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

MODS - please change the name of this thread to: Buy your used, half-price, advanced ignition timing wheel here!

Thanks!

RickB - SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

..... and then .....

what's this about the '02 being better curved?!?!??! From what, the coil/ECU????? No ****?!?!?!? (oh, and your's is still sold - gimme!)
Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Back Marker

Do it Slim....I love the difference since the swap. It's easy enough to do it.
Hey, quit pushin'!

Oh, wait, this would be your thread, so .....

YEAHOKAYIWANTIT!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
FactoryPro part is backordered into the next century.
They are always back ordered, the same was the case 5 years ago when i waited on one. They make them in small batches and sell till gone then wait forever to make more.

There are a couple of time saving tricks that Hawk Rider (I Think) may have on his tips and tricks site. Especially when it come to keeping the two clutch drive gear together. If you let them slip you got to pull the clutch and clutch basket to get it back right.

Do you homework and it will be a breeze
Old 10-11-2007, 10:20 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
What are the specs on the 02 and later advancer?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Supposedly the '02s and later have a better advance curve from the factory and I didn't notice any real difference when I did have it installed for a few hundred miles.

Looks to be sold - enjoy!

Originally Posted by Slim
BUWUWHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

MODS - please change the name of this thread to: Buy your used, half-price, advanced ignition timing wheel here!

Thanks!

RickB - SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

..... and then .....

what's this about the '02 being better curved?!?!??! From what, the coil/ECU????? No ****?!?!?!? (oh, and your's is still sold - gimme!)
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure that you could modify the stock trigger wheel. It's attached to the splines on the end of the crank, you'd have a heck of a time welding and recutting those with any chance of getting it to work afterwards.

It looks like someone should stock up in the FactoryPro parts. You know, just in case!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Superstock

Actually, I bet it would be fairly easy. The wheel has grooves to locate it on the shaft but has one BIG square slot that makes it go on in one position only. You would only need to move that one notch over. That or move the pick up sensor that's mounted fairly weakly on the case.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:38 PM
SuperBike

Nope, that wouldn't work. Actually, it would work it would just be way too much advance. If my memory serves me there are 24 teeth on the spline. That means one tooth is 15°, almost 4x the FactoryPro tested setting. I'm not even sure the bike would run like that.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Superstock

oops......I hadn't counted the splines when I was in there....just going from memory. I do remember that the sensor was attached to a bracket inside the case...maybe that could be made to be adjustable.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Back Marker

Keeping in mind i'm more familiar with the automotive world .....

I "see" two potential solutions. One way is to have the assembly as two pieces (a "hub" with the "wheel" that could be rotated to alter timing). The other way is an adjustable mount (still haven't seen the sensor/mount yet, so don't know how feasible this is).

Jamie - too much advance could always be electronically "tamed". Design/build a circuit to retard the timing from an "over-advanced" wheel and voila! One could even get fancy and incorporate the adjustabiity within this circuit. What you speak of is exactly what i've been thinking about.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

Oh, and on other related news - I found a FP advanced wheel on E-Bay yesterday, but couldn't postthe link. Today the site is up but the part is gone.

Anyway, strange thing is that it was a slightly different design than what FP has showing on their site (what's up with their VTR page not showing suddenyl?!??!!). Rather than the curved profile of the wheel, it is flat. Maybe an older design, I don't know, but easy to make with a wire/laser machine.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Superstock

I remember it as a rather cheap, flimsy looking sheet metal bracket that could easily be improved on and made with an arced slot for adjustibility. You'd have to know which way the wheel rotated and whether it ran at crank or half speed. couple of hours at a good fabber/machinist's and then you could adjust it. You could even make it with some sort of cam wheel adjuster that was accessible from the outside...hhmmmmm.......
Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

The trigger wheel is attached to crank, so it runs at the same speed. The cranks on motorcycles with chain drive spin the same direction as the wheels roll. I hope this helps!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Superstock

Well there ya go! I was intent on doing the install and going riding when I did it so I didn't pay any attention to all that.
I have the stock trigger wheel that I would donate to anyone trying to mod it.