Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

IGN On - Visibility addons..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Squid

Acecool is on a distinguished road
IGN On - Visibility addons..

Hey, I just tapped into an IGN On wire at the fuse box after looking at the wiring diagrams. I have it hooked to an inline fuse, then to a switch, then to neon lights so people can see my motorcycle at night easier.

I want to add driving lights up front, to illuminate the road a little better and I am planning on tying it into the switch I have hooked up. Anyone that has them, can you post pics of your setup please?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I used to have them on front and back. the previous owner hooked them up so I couldn't begin to tell you how. The only problem I found is that I burned through bulbs like crazy. I unhooked the driving lights about a month ago, before that I was replacing bulbs about every 2-3 weeks. Just make sure whatever signals you are using are made for doubling as driving lights.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You can also do the eastern beaver wiring hook ups for the headlight. Ups the brightness by like 50%. Well worth it.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:31 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I be interested to read , what our forum electrical engineer opinion........
Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, I guess I qualify as one of those...

One, neons doesn't add any visibility or safety... Don't fool yourself into thinking that... They are a fashion item, nothing else, and as such there are many opinions on them and their usage... You will see the headlights or driving lights much clearer and further than you can see any neon accents... That's a fact based on the color, intensity and directionality of the light...

Now that we got that out of the way, adding stuff that increases the draw on the charging system is up to a point actually good for the R/R as it's not required to turn as much energy into heat, prolonging the lifetime...

Adding driving lights doesn't really increase the lenght of the beam much, it does widen it letting you see the edges of the road... The thing is, if you get much more and brighter light with this, ie it fills in the shadows in your bleary light, you have a problem with your headlight...

Then you really, really should look into a new headlight harness like smokingjoe73 said... www.easternbeaver.com It will give you more light than stock + driving lights for less money... The reason is that the wiring to the headlight in the VTR is completely substandard, giving you about a third to half of the light that the bulb is capable of...

Then if you still think the beam is a bit narrow, add the driving lights as an upgrade on that... Or go the whole way and stick a HID projector in there... Then you won't need driving lights... Mine gives me light like this... Enough to almost be blinding at night with large white reflective roadsigns... And the beam is more than twice as wide as the stock light...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Squid

Acecool is on a distinguished road
Neons are from previous owner, and are located under the seat in the rear. They do help you "pop" slightly more if no one is directly behind you.

Eastern beaver has only harnesses for the vfr??

Edit: So all they are doing is using a relay to give power straight from the battery? I could create a wiring harness that does that hmmmmm :-P

Last edited by Acecool; 11-11-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Conspicuity

+1 what Tweety said, get the Eastern Beavers set-up (I made my own with a ceramic plug which drives a Osram 70/55w H4 + a headlight modulator with my own infra-red daylight on/night off sensor) but I also have twin 55w halogens, a red neon (yes old tech but bright as hell) license plate surround light tied to the brake light circuit, LP Type 3 3-wire TS/RL flush mounts with the OEM from TS/RL in the rear with a 3rd wire added for the RL, the OEM tail/stop light assembly gutted with a 10 LED array, heated vest/battery charger hook-up, volt meter, heated grips, radar detector hard-wired, GPS hook-up & stem mount, alarm with switched cigarette lighter socket, CPU heat-sink & fan on VR/R with fresh air intake snorkel to it & exhaust ports drilled in the right rear of the seat cowl covered by a reverse NACA duct, bicycle computer (which uses no power), etc. And my 03-97 OEM battery I finally replaced a couple of seasons ago out of guilt...

Now that's what I call conspicuity & safety mods...