Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How do you guys get that dang D idle screw out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
How do you guys get that dang D idle screw out?

I've pulled the carbs..at least off of their spigots. I'm trying to get the D shaped idle adjust screw out so I can dremel a slot into it...so I can adjust my mixture..(thanks alot Honda).
I'd really rather not have to disconnect every single one of the 180 tubes and cables connecting the carbs to the engine just to get those screws out. I can't even get at them with tweezers! What do you guys do??????????
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Me I used a piece of brake tube and a mallet to make a "socket"...

Edit: I'm generous... (and I found the bookmark LOL...) http://vtr-tool.atspace.com/
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Gonna be making me one of those asap... along with a DIY carb sync tool! Thanks Tweety!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
No problem... It kinda pissed me of to have to take it all apart for small adjustments...

Until I found this...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Superstock

Yah, Tweet, I started doing the same thing. Thanks. I thought maybe you guys had a better way. I'll go back to filing and sanding and whacking my little bits of tubing......AAARGH! What were they thinking!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by redman
...AAARGH! What were they thinking!
They were thinkin "Let's make ANOTHER specialized screw head that they would have to buy a really expensive tool for OR leave it up to the dealership mechanics so they can pay them a whole lot of money to do the adjustment and find OTHER things wrong to fix when they do".

My local dealership quoted me $130 or so for a carb sync and adjustment and they ACTUALLY ended the sentence with "Yeah, plus we won't know what else we are going to have to do in there, carbs are not easy to deal with" regardless of the fact that the bike was running perfectly before that, all I was looking for was an adjustment after my needle shim mod.

Barstids...

Last edited by supermarto; 12-05-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
They used to be capped as per EPA regs. I thought these d-shape adjusters were a nice compromise that partially satisfied both parties (just barely tamper proof). Just an assumption on my part.

Do what I did: buy a jet kit cheap, use the tool, make a copy, and then resell the unused kit. You may even make money! Even if you lose a couple of bucks, consider it a rental fee.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

So the jet kits come with that tool? All brands of kit or just the FP?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Both my DJ and FP kits for the VTR and VFR respectively had them.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I bought one of these
http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/tool...djusting_tool/
for $19 from JC Whitney (now they are $26) and cut off the Factory pilot bit (which somebody gave me), slotted the end to fit the "blade" on the end of the MP tool and epoxied them together. Still needed to slim down the Factory pilot bit to get it up snugly into the recess around the carb "D-screw". Works like a charm but a little inspection mirror and fiber-optic cable on a mini-mag light is helpful. Making a sketch as to the orientation of the D-screw for each carb (mirror image as your working like your looking down or up) and keeping the sketch in your shop manual for reference is also a good idea.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Superstock

I have one of those.......now back to filing, sanding, and whacking little bits of tubing....like I said...AAAARGH!
Thanks for all the tips guys.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
I took a Dremel cutoff wheel and ground a slot through the housing and in to the head of the bugger. Now I use a regular screw driver.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM
SuperBike

Now why did I not think of that...

Originally Posted by Involute
I took a Dremel cutoff wheel and ground a slot through the housing and in to the head of the bugger. Now I use a regular screw driver.
I guess if you go slow and use waterbase (silicone) gease to catch the grit and muffle sparks WHILE GRINDING A DRAINED FLOAT BOWL on the bench OFF THE BIKE. Unless you have a cable extension like I have for my Dremel and can get my big hand in there or just pull and turn over the carbs with the gas lines capped and extingusher handy.

No problem with the pilot's O-ring or threads being damaged from grinding heat or vibration?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:10 AM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Involute
Exactly! And I even went so far as to grind off the "shroud" so when I'm adjusting with the carbs on the bike, I can see exactly where I'm at.

skokievtr, I guess I'm a bit bold, it takes a specific air/fuel mix to actually ignite and when it comes to remaining "fumes" in a volume such as a carb bowl... you couldn't blow your pubes off! Not to mention, there are no sparks from brass and aluminum, I personally ignored the heat damage to the O-ring... and with a seven yr old bike there was no leak after the fact, or air leak. I'm an aircraft mech of about 17yrs and I'm fairly conscious of the negatives when making alterations. The risk here is truly negligible.

Last edited by loserbaby; 12-07-2007 at 12:20 AM. Reason: adds
Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr

No problem with the pilot's O-ring or threads being damaged from grinding heat or vibration?
The only problem is any mouse that decides to nest on my engine will see the Dremel job I did.

Heat and vibration are not an issue if some (very little) finesse is used.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
SuperBike

Close enough or right is right

I have been working on airplanes, rockets, missles, satellites, motorcycles and cars (the later mostly because I want it done right for least cost) for 34 years, utilizing knowledge and skills learned in school, on the job and by trial and error. I developed a philosophy that merges two trains of thought when doing almost anything, that being there is "close enough for the girls we go out with" (or "government work"), and "only right is right" when lives are at stake. I take calculated risks but prefer to plan things out and adapt the plan as necessary. I can disassemble my VTR and expose the carbs in a half hour. Pulling the carbs completely (PAIR system was removed in 1999) or at least removing the float bowls adds another 15 minutes. Then working on the bench is a pleasure. In my prior post I was raising flags in laymans terms (the brushes & armature on a running Dremel create sparks) and playing the devil's advocate. However, as they say "cleaniness is next to godliness" and "safety first". That is what its all about, after that everything is commentary. I personally used a Dremel to cut a slot in the heads of the tamperproof screws retaining the TPS (with the carbs laying on a damp towel in the to replace them with socket head cap screws.

As I indicated, I modified the Factory D-bit and grafted it to the inexpensive MP adjusting tool. I'm willing to live with still using this method because its more work now to cut the pilot, and I can set the pilot screws and balance the carbs (I plumbed both carbs with capped extension hoses to hook up to both my mecury and electronic sync guages) without lifting the tank or removing anything.

Like anything in life, its all what your willing to live with, the risks and results.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Just scored the K&L tool on Ebay for not too much. Haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Superstock

I too work in the trades and have learned that there is always "how it SHOULD be done" and then there's reality. I try for the first and am always glad when I achieve it. Usually it's a blend.
The older I get the more I realize that there IS no black or white....it's all shades of grey.