Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

how to

Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Squid

rageohio is on a distinguished road
how to

can some one tell me how to change my radiator fluidand what can i replace it with or can i only use the honda brand of coolant thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Take your front fairings off. There are four hex bolts, two on a side. You'll also need to remove your mirrors (there are four bolts also, two per side; hold your mirrors as you undo the last bolt on each side). Undo the screws (one on each side) on the inside of the front fairings, below the rads. Disconnect the turn signal wires from the quick-disconnect plugs. Also, if you can reach it, unplug the headlight and running light wiring harness. If that's hard to do, pull the front fairing out towards the front of the bike, then reach around and unplug the harnesses. After that, a bit of pulling and massaging will get the fairings around the rads and off.

Remove the rad cap on the throttle-side. Be careful if your bike is still hot. Remove the lower rad hose and drain the coolant. On the front cylinder is a bolt that you will also need to remove to completely drain the front cylinder. You may want to put a rag on the header pipe so that no coolant gets on the pipe.

Be sure to reinstall the bolt and hose when refilling the fluids. If you are replacing it with water wetter (or engine ice, or whatever), then you will want to flush the system a few times. Even then, you'll still have some residual coolant/antifreeze.

Get yourself a service manual - it helps IMMENSELY.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Squid

thanks

thank you
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Squid

chico33
If you don't use water wetter use the Honda coolant, it is silicate free, using coolant containing silicates could damage water pump seal. Will need 3 quarts - it is pre mixed. Add a little distilled water if needed to fill.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chico33 View Post
If you don't use water wetter use the Honda coolant, it is silicate free, using coolant containing silicates could damage water pump seal. Will need 3 quarts - it is pre mixed. Add a little distilled water if needed to fill.
As chico says, silica free but honda isn't exclusive on this. Dex-cool and others are silica free just check the labels as they are much cheaper.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Squid

thank you everyone
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy View Post
Take your front fairings off... Undo the screws (one on each side) on the inside of the front fairings, below the rads.
I HATE those Mickey Mouse little plastic screws/anchors. You probably know what i mean.

My solution...zip ties!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
LoL...yeah, I had to resort to zip ties after losing those damn screws. Why the heck are they colored black?! They should at least make them hot pink...

The worst part, for me, of putting the front fairing back on was getting the rubber grommet on the fairing stay to line up with the plugs. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.