SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   how to (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/how-9676/)

rageohio 10-03-2006 06:53 PM

how to

can some one tell me how to change my radiator fluidand what can i replace it with or can i only use the honda brand of coolant thanks

marmaladedad 10-03-2006 07:28 PM

Take your front fairings off. There are four hex bolts, two on a side. You'll also need to remove your mirrors (there are four bolts also, two per side; hold your mirrors as you undo the last bolt on each side). Undo the screws (one on each side) on the inside of the front fairings, below the rads. Disconnect the turn signal wires from the quick-disconnect plugs. Also, if you can reach it, unplug the headlight and running light wiring harness. If that's hard to do, pull the front fairing out towards the front of the bike, then reach around and unplug the harnesses. After that, a bit of pulling and massaging will get the fairings around the rads and off.

Remove the rad cap on the throttle-side. Be careful if your bike is still hot. Remove the lower rad hose and drain the coolant. On the front cylinder is a bolt that you will also need to remove to completely drain the front cylinder. You may want to put a rag on the header pipe so that no coolant gets on the pipe.

Be sure to reinstall the bolt and hose when refilling the fluids. If you are replacing it with water wetter (or engine ice, or whatever), then you will want to flush the system a few times. Even then, you'll still have some residual coolant/antifreeze.

Get yourself a service manual - it helps IMMENSELY.

rageohio 10-04-2006 01:00 AM

thanks

thank you

chico33 10-04-2006 07:33 AM

If you don't use water wetter use the Honda coolant, it is silicate free, using coolant containing silicates could damage water pump seal. Will need 3 quarts - it is pre mixed. Add a little distilled water if needed to fill.

superbling 10-04-2006 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by chico33 (Post 32586)
If you don't use water wetter use the Honda coolant, it is silicate free, using coolant containing silicates could damage water pump seal. Will need 3 quarts - it is pre mixed. Add a little distilled water if needed to fill.

As chico says, silica free but honda isn't exclusive on this. Dex-cool and others are silica free just check the labels as they are much cheaper.

rageohio 10-05-2006 12:52 AM

thank you everyone

L8RGYZ 10-05-2006 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy (Post 32570)
Take your front fairings off... Undo the screws (one on each side) on the inside of the front fairings, below the rads.

I HATE those Mickey Mouse little plastic screws/anchors. You probably know what i mean.

My solution...zip ties!

marmaladedad 10-05-2006 04:32 PM

LoL...yeah, I had to resort to zip ties after losing those damn screws. Why the heck are they colored black?! They should at least make them hot pink... ;)

The worst part, for me, of putting the front fairing back on was getting the rubber grommet on the fairing stay to line up with the plugs. Ugh.