Help Solve my Headlight wiring issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Solve my Headlight wiring issue...

ok...

Did a fairing swap recently and stock light won't fit... So I've got two round lights i'm using...

I've got one running just fine... But what I'm going for is the bottom one is on all the time (low beam), and when I switch to hi beam, the lower light stays on, but the upper light comes on...

Now... I'm using the factory wiring harness, and some 10ga male connectors that can just plug right in...

When running one light, i have one ground, and the low side of the switch plugged in... no problems...

I figured that by sharing the ground, and plugging second wire into hi side, that when i flip to hi beam, the low beam would go off, and hi beam would come on...

Figured i could run a jumper wire, but in theory that would work both ways, so went to radio shack and got a diode planning to run a diode on a jumper wire and share ground and i'm good...

but i'm not good...

low beam works fine, with jumper wire and diode, the moment i hit hi beam, both lights quit and fuse blows (20a)... with no jumper wire, just shared ground, when i hit hi, both come on, but only at what seems to be half power...

what am i doing? and even more importantly, what should i be doing?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
what should i be doing?
Contacting the people at eastern beaver and getting a relay kit from them wired for your application.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...y_h4_kits.html
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
First off, what wattage is those light's?

The stock wiring harness have a hard time handling 60W, not to mention 55W+60W... So with both on with shared ground, that's probably the most light you will get out of them through that...

Get a relay kit as lazn said...
Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

you think the issue is purely power loss when running both lights? I agree running a relay would help increase the power output, however seems like i should be able to get them to function properly without it, and the relay would increase the output...

not knocking your idea, i think i am going to order a relay, but was waiting to figure out what type of lighting i'm gonna end up running... this set up is actually a temp fix
Old 09-14-2009, 03:11 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
First off, what wattage is those light's?

The stock wiring harness have a hard time handling 60W, not to mention 55W+60W... So with both on with shared ground, that's probably the most light you will get out of them through that...

Get a relay kit as lazn said...
I'm gonna go run a neg wire to the batter and see if that makes a difference if they are not sharing ground...

there 55w lights. two of them
Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

Start by doing this... Measure the voltage across the light (ground tab to lowbeam)... And then the voltage across the battery... They should be exactly the same... If I didn't know the answear I'd bet you a $100 they aren't... I had 13V+ at the battery and only ~12V at the bulb... If I hit both high and low it dropped below 10V...

With a relay and beefy wires you get battery voltage to the bulbs... Both of them...
Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

ok....

as it turns out.... you just have to NOT be a moron and everything works perfectly...

yes, i do need a relay to get more power to each light, however they are functioning properly on the factory switch...

low beam = single light pointed downward
hi beam = both lights (one downward, one straight ahead)

these lights are actually bright as hell anyway... so this will get me till i decide if i'm gonna run two lights long term, or a hi/low projector hid set up with single light...

now to confess my problem... I just mixed up which was ground on the light plug in... and was blowing fuses because i was plugging hot to hot.. lol so yea...

seriously thought, thanks for the help... its nice having quick responses when your working on something
Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
MotoGP

Lol... And measuring for voltage drop caught the error... Don't worry... I did the same thing making my relay wiring... Couldn't figure out why I blew fuses...
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

well i'll have to take a picture of the lights tomorrow when its daylight, but its kinda based off the Duc 999 idea... two lights, one on top of the other...

I've kinda got a hidden headlight thing going with these fairings, which i like...

I know the bracket tops could be cut down, and the only reason I haven't cut them yet is I wanna see how it does at night, and I may end up moving the top mount up, and hanging the light from the top instead of bottom...

as you can see... not a complex bracket... rather simple actually... lol

I do wanna cut it down, as its sorta heavy, but I don't think the fairing gained any weight... the stock headlight isn't heavy, but theres a lot to it.. and these fairings are fiberglass, so lighter than stock plastic.....

bottom is on all the time, top comes on in addition to bottom for high beam... as you can see, its aimed higher, so it projects a little farther, and lights up street signs like your hi beams normally do...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I would get a relay from eastern beaver co. I think running both lights at the same time will overload the headlight wires without a relay. EBco. has setups with heavier gauge wires that are wired to have both the high and low beam on at the same time.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I do plan on getting one... but gotta figure out what headlight i'll run long term first... The lighting from these are actually pretty good, but I want to either run a dual HID set up (one hi, one low) or a single hi/low HID... Wanting to do two, but depends on there size.... only have so much room...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

here are some pictures....

low beam

hi beam