Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

HELP!! lost key to Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Junior Member For Now
Squid

kenhawk is on a distinguished road
HELP!! lost key to Hawk

I just bought my hawk two months ago. Just lost my only key.
How and where do I get a new igniton key and a key for the seat?
Please I need to ride my HawK
Any tips on the change out would be great!
Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've never done it with my VTR, but I think you need to get the number/code off of the ignition switch, and take it to the Honda dealer along with your registration and ID.

Call the nearest Honda dealer beforehand to be sure. Might be a good idea to get two keys.

Also, unless the seat lock or ignition switch have been replaced, they take the same key.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Ha! I did this a couple of months ago. I think our cat knows where the key is...

You can remove the ignition switch from the bike with a couple of bolts that are very well loctite'd (sp?) in. There's a number somewhere on it that will allow just about any competent locksmith to make you a new key (or two or three).

At least that worked for mine (1998 'hawk). If yours is newer it might be "chipped" and then you're stuck going to your local Honda dealer for a replacement.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Kenhawk, tow your Superhawk to the best locksmith in town he make you 2-3 key around $75 USD, fourty five minutes work your ride ready. That is laziest way i can think of. Good luck and ride safe.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:32 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
There should be the key number under the gas tank cap which any good locksmith can pick open & use the code to cut a new key by computer. This should not cost 75 clams unless they come & wisk the bike off while you enjoy the strippers they paid for you. My locksmith did it for under 20, but you have to bring the bike (or I guess at least the tank. Oh yeah, dont bother trying to take out all the allen bolts on the gas cap; it still wont come off (just in case you were thinking that)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
As everyone else stated, pay the $75 for a locksmith. Not worth the hassle of trying to take the ignition off and driving to the local shop to have them special order. A lock snith will come to your bike and cut you a key there. You may have to show a license and proof of ownership. Have him cut you a couple of keys.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I removed my ignition switch when I lost my only key. Not really a pain at all. And the dealership charged me around $15 to make a new one. Although it wasn't the black molded plastic type. But once I had the first made, I picked up 2 of the original type from fleabay and got them cut for another $10. Much cheaper than $75 for a locksmith!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

Yardstick
The loctite they use on the ignition switch bolts is kind of a gummy consistency, not hard like the regular red or blue stuff (or maybe mine was gummy from being in 110F heat...). It's not that difficult to take the switch out. It does take a little muscle and time since you can't spin the bolts easily and you can only make a partial revolution each time you reposition the wrench. Hint: use a ratchet if you've got the right bit. The locksmith I went to charged about $25 for two keys and didn't even ask for proof of ownership. Kinda scary, actually.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I had to do this few years ago with my old Interceptor. Pulling ignition switch and getting key code was easy. Took code and bike reg to Honda dealer. No special order, they made the key while I watched. I think it cost $15.

The smart thing to do is call the Honda dealer and a locksmith and see which works best for you.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Damn, my local locksmith oldest one in town F*****g rob me, and he even refuse for house call service (Oh, motorcycle might not have tool to do it) Local Honda dealer sale me 2 blanks for $18 bucks and prefer me to Bill locksmith again. And my Cbr f4i 2001 didnot have any keycode# under its cap...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
The seat lock also has the lock code.... I had mine out recently to get a key made from my cracking original and wanted to be sure it worked in the lock before I left the key shop.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Junior Member For Now
Squid

kenhawk is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the help guys. I found the key this last sat in some old jeans I never seem to wear. Tonight I think the front cam chain or the cct broke. 30k miles had the bike for two months.
I have another post asking for tips and help for getting into the front head of the bike. I know nothing about bikes....
thanks guys.