Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help--broke off plastic choke fitting on carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
I partially tore the rubber angle boot. Does that matter, or is this just a dust shield?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by superdutyd
I partially tore the rubber angle boot. Does that matter, or is this just a dust shield?
you can mend that with electrical tape or friction tape or whatever. yes, it is a dust shield. did you get the starting enrichment (SE) valve out? if so, is it damaged? if yes, i'd replace it. but 30 bucks is 30 bucks. as you've probably read, 48mm carbs are a bit tricky to get dialed in for one's particular setup. one more possibly malfunctioning, damaged SE doesn't help.

--fred
Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
just did mine, after I broke it. quite the contraption to assemble together but I got it going. used a flat head and some patience to work the broken threads out of the carbs, worked good!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Squid
Squid

Isosuo is on a distinguished road
Hey!

I was rejetting my carbs and I also broke the plastic part... Can anyone tell me if the Polaris part fitted with no midification? Just plug&play with the polaris part?

Thanks,

Marko
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Just get the polaris part. I just put them on both my vtrs since the plastic ones break durring a stiff breeze. I think you have to file (dremmel) it down slightly to fit in but its worth the sturdiness.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Squid
Squid

I got two of those Polaris parts now, and it seems the part really has to be modified a little. Not with a dremel though...

I'll post some photos of the modification when it's finished. And I'll do it with lathe...
Old 12-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Squid
Squid

My apologies for the bad English used - not my native language. Please try to follow:

I measured the original Honda part and the Polaris part. I made a cross-section drawings with measures.

I also took a few photos of the parts.

Seems that I have to drill the brass part from the inner-threaded end so the cable wire shell can go in. (from 5,25mm -> 6,5mm) I also have to make deeper the end where the spring and needle part goes in. (from 8,7mm -> 11,7mm)

Because the parts are not equally long, the measurement have to be started from the end of the outer thread, so the geometry still remains.

Name:  cross-section.jpg
Views: 4277
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4363.jpg
Views: 4353
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4349.jpg
Views: 4608
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4345.jpg
Views: 4534
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4342.jpg
Views: 4422
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4338.jpg
Views: 4370
Size:  19.3 KB

Greetings from Finland. (Ice Hockey WM 2011)

Last edited by Isosuo; 12-04-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
honda only sales the whole starter valve assembly. i looked one up for 2003 model. part #:16046-MBB-640
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

Wow isosuo, nice pics. I agree lathe is better but more people have dremels and it can be done easier with the dremel than by hand. Also I found that the dimensions dont have to be duplicated since its a cable system and can be adjusted (slack) elsewhere like a throttle.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Isosuo- Well done, man. Those drawings are very nice.

Looking at them I can remember now what I had to do, too. The little inner lip that is created by the hole closest to the carb (identified as dimension "b" in the Polaris cross section and dimension "d" in the original part cross section) is important. It retains the spring that pushes the choke needle back into the carb assembly.

So when drilling/lathing/dremeling out the threads don't remove all of them. I don't think the depth has to be super precise b/c they are all just retention features. Most of the time your choke won't be on anyway.

Once again, nice drawings...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Squid

63ronin is on a distinguished road
So I have broke one of those damn little plastic pieces. Thought I would get a new choke cable rather than drive all across town to find a Polaris dealer. Folks seem to think the Honda part was like $30. But my local Honda dealer wanted $52.50 for the damn thing. So now I figure I'll hqve to do a quick search on line for the part or brave Portland (Oreegon) traffic and go find the Polaris dealer... what a pain
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
MotoGP

The polaris part takes a little modifying, if that changes your decision at all
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
MotoGP

You can sorta doctor the broken piece with zip ties til you get a replacement. I rode for months like that just be sure its not choking that carb.

The polaris piece just needs to be filed/ dremmeled thinner to fit. If you buy a honda piece its pretty likely to break again & make you doubly mad.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 63ronin
So I have broke one of those damn little plastic pieces. Thought I would get a new choke cable rather than drive all across town to find a Polaris dealer. Folks seem to think the Honda part was like $30. But my local Honda dealer wanted $52.50 for the damn thing. So now I figure I'll hqve to do a quick search on line for the part or brave Portland (Oreegon) traffic and go find the Polaris dealer... what a pain
$23.67 VALVE SET, STARTER - Search : 16046-MBB-640

7-10 working days is what I normally get from Ronayers. I order monthly from them.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Squid

Yea, I'm pretty much itch'en to get my VTR running again after not following the directions in another post about how to properly install manual CCT (my bad). Was in the process of putting it all back together. Had the front cylinder head back on after - uh - tweaking the exhaust valves. Carb install was going fine until...

SO... zip ties, huh. I keep this up and it'll start to look like my Kawasaki GPz 750
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 63ronin
Yea, I'm pretty much itch'en to get my VTR running again after not following the directions in another post about how to properly install manual CCT (my bad). Was in the process of putting it all back together. Had the front cylinder head back on after - uh - tweaking the exhaust valves. Carb install was going fine until...

SO... zip ties, huh. I keep this up and it'll start to look like my Kawasaki GPz 750
I'll look when I get home from work.. and see if I kept the steel replacment part I made when I broke a plastic one... Used it for several weeks while I waited on a replacment one from Honda.

If I still have it, your welcome to it while you get a better replacment.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM
MotoGP

I've done the zip ties before effectively FWIW
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Squid

I did a bit more looking. I think the dealer was looking at the entire choke cable assembly. Not just the "Valve Set, Starter" that E.Marquez mentions. That would explain it being twice the price I was expecting. So I'll be ordering some thing from somewhere. Just have to suck it up and accept it.

Seems I have to take the carbs out again anyhow. I think I pinched the O-ring that fits in the coolant housing that attaches to the front cylinder under the front carb. Just a wee bit of coolant leaking all over the place. So it'll be another couple of days before I can do anything anyhow.

Working on these things will teach you patients if nothing else...
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Squid

Phoned Polaris dealer yesterday and got new fittings on order. Should be in Thursday. No rush on this as I broke the coolant line housing that bolts to the front cylinder head (chaep pot metal). Ordered that from Honda. Should also be in on Thursday.

So we'll see if I can keep from screwing anything else up once I get all the new parts.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
ahhhh did this same thing last night. why they made them from plastic i dont know! ordered up the choke assembly at about $35 plus shipping. so i can run the bike with the front carb choke piece not fitted yes?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I haven't tried running my bike with either "choke piece" removed but I don't think it would be a good idea. The starting enrichment circuit operates when the choke **** is pulled out. This causes the plungers in the carburettors to retract. Running the bike without the plunger fully inserted in the bore is the same as running the bike with the choke on.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 PM
SuperSport

Well whats the zip tie method? I don't see how I could use a zip tie to make that work
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

Tiny hose clamps work too.

Just get the polaris pieces, its sinch to do and you can "machine" them with a nailfile while watching tv if you want.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

Just get the polaris pieces, its sinch to do and you can "machine" them with a nailfile while watching tv if you want.
I don't get it. The piece the carb cable threads into isn't just round all the way around. There's no way a hose clamp or zip tie could mate the two.... Unless I'm understanding you wrong
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

I already ordered choke cables (before I found out about the Polaris part) but I just finished the install of the JE pistons and I'm dying to fire her up for the first time. Just gotta get this stupid choke thing sorted first
Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Really? Having done several sets,.. I don't know how one would make the required modifications with a nail file..

Please youtube this process.. Love to see you do that.. No really....Lets see it.

Here is how I do it
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...etainer-29791/

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-09-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

I am talking about filing down the polaris metal tubes to fit into the carb. I used a dremel but you could do it with a file.

I dont have a lathe but performed the same operation. You can for sure file it. Lathe or dremel is quicker.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
There are brass or titanium choke fitting replacements around...

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...829_170713.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...830_134612.jpg
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I am talking about filing down the polaris metal tubes to fit into the carb. I used a dremel but you could do it with a file.

I dont have a lathe but performed the same operation. You can for sure file it. Lathe or dremel is quicker.

Cool..
how did you counterbore the polaris part to fit the cable ferrule with a dremel ?Small grinding tip?
(and how would one do that with a file?)

Not talking down the idea at all... just looking for the how, so if someone want to try and file or dremel their own.... they know how it was done.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-10-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wicky
Absolutely

post #7 in that other thread I linked to
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...91/#post349001

Quick Reply: Help--broke off plastic choke fitting on carb