Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Squid

redsuperhawk
Help!

I was out for a nice easy going ride with my wife this morning. A few miles from home, as I was slowing down for a turn, I noticed a new rattle. I stopped and listened for a minute, and it sounded like it was coming from in the engine, not outside of it. The speed of the rattle matched the revs, so the higher the rev the faster the rattle.

I didn't once even come close to redline this morning. We were going at a nice leisurely pace. I nursed it home the four or so miles from where it first started.

It has 17,330 miles on it as it sits in the garage right now. It is due for a valve adjustment, but I was waiting till I get paid for some work I'm doing. It didn't build up to a rattle, it just went from not rattling to rattling. And it started as I was slowing down. I do alot of slowing using the engine braking because there's so much of it. I am not even close to a mechanic, but I would guess that a valve adjustment would fix it?

I'm nervous to go out and start it up again because I don't want to damage it if I haven't already. I plan on taking it to the shop to have the adjustment done; can I still ride it there or do I need to get a truck and haul it there?

BTW, I'm not talking about the various minor clatter that the bike has made from day one. I'm talking about a new loud rattle. I have Jardines, wear earplugs with my helmet, and it was still very noticeable.

Can anyone help me and give me an idea of what the problem is? I think I covered everything I can, but if you need more information to diagnose the problem, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 05-30-2005, 08:57 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Help!

First thought: CCT's (cam chain tensioners). One or both has gone south. Do a search here for more info. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Squid

redsuperhawk

Thanks for the info Doug. I better get a shop manual.

BTW, you have any pics of your 'Hawk? Your avatar looks like it's heavily modded. I'd love to see more of it!

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 05-30-2005, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Yeah, check out the "find the mods" thread (which needs to be updated) in the cosmetic section.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Squid

john2kvtr

Jeff,

Did you get the noise resolved?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Squid

Dutch

How loud of a rattle are we talking about here? The kind where you kick your visor up and lean over for a listen to pinpoint the tick-a-tick-a-tick? Or is it more like, Holy crap what the hell is that?