Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Hazard light dilema

Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hazard light dilema

So it recently dawned on me how dangerous roadside stopping is without hazard flashers. I am trying to figure out how to use an EXISTING flasher to do it.

Why cant I connect left to right turn signals with a switch so they both flash with the switch on?

If you google this dilema, there a zillion crazy ideas of getting a seperate flasher and wiring the whole thing but to me, all the wiring is done. I just need to connect them.

Anyone agree or disagree? Am I missing something?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I know it's a temporary fix and definitely has probably occurred to you, but you can turn one of your signals on. A signal flashing, especially with a rider not in riding position on it, is better than nothing.

Especially with your rolling construction sign lights you put on your bikes

In all seriousness, pulling to the side with the bike scares the snot out of me.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM
MotoGP

Well, yeah, I do that but hazards are really what I am after. I even tap the brake lever when sitting waiting to turn left to avoid getting hit.

But what about hazards?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
This maybe a little difficult to accomplish with the existing system, you will probably need additional circuit for that.
maybe another idea... you can potentially get the bicycle led light flashers and mount them on the back, at list you don't have to use the battery in case the bike is not running, they also last for many hours.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
if i remember correctly tweety has hazards... using busa controls perhaps?

maybe im way off...

hopefully someone will chime in, im down for the upgrade as well
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
This is intended for a VFR, but I'm betting it'll work on the Hawk as well.

2002 - 2009 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor Modification Page
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Key off flashers should be standard, especially now that LEDs make it feasible. Or a strobe like on top school buses
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bearshawk
if i remember correctly tweety has hazards... using busa controls perhaps?

maybe im way off...

hopefully someone will chime in, im down for the upgrade as well
Tweety does indeed have that... But it involves a bit more tinkering, since the point was to swap both sides of the controls...

If you just want hazards on the bike, the above mentioned VFR mod is the easiest way... I could easily draw out a diagram to integrate it into the normal wiring for anyone that wants it...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be as simple as an interrupter switch? Wire the four signals together with an interrupter switch in between and if you want flashers just switch the interrupter on and turn on one of the signals?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM
MotoGP

Well, so far my idea (which is basicly the interrupter idea by insulinboy, hasnt worked. My issue may be that I have my front turn sigs wired to be 4 running lights (they are leds) and also blink. I have led front turns and reg bulb sigs on the mirrors.

BUT I did try to laz out and wire the front turn signal wires. I believe I need to do the legwork and run wired to the tail to tap into the harness.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Well, so far my idea (which is basicly the interrupter idea by insulinboy, hasnt worked. My issue may be that I have my front turn sigs wired to be 4 running lights (they are leds) and also blink. I have led front turns and reg bulb sigs on the mirrors.

BUT I did try to laz out and wire the front turn signal wires. I believe I need to do the legwork and run wired to the tail to tap into the harness.
The reason that doesn't work is the front running lights... If you look at the wiring schematic, you find that the handlebar switch connects both the signal wires and the opposing running light for left and right setting, ie one remains a running light, the other is flashing on/off... And neutral switch means two running lights...

So, you either do what's described in the mod above, wire in both rear signals using diodes, and let them power the front as the bike is switched off, meaning the switch position is irrelevant...

Or, you re-wire the signals at the handlebar switch, adding a few wires and diodes, and add a swith... Then you set the switch to neutral, and hit that switch and you have hazards...
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM
MotoGP

Thanks tweety, I was wondering about the turn sig switch since yeah it controls them both.

Will mess with it more today. I was trying to avoid the stern to bow wire run but it may be the lesser of the evils to get this done.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Thanks tweety, I was wondering about the turn sig switch since yeah it controls them both.

Will mess with it more today. I was trying to avoid the stern to bow wire run but it may be the lesser of the evils to get this done.
Hazard light dilema-vtr1000f_-_superhawk_ed.jpg

Two diodes to keep from cross powering, a dual switch and a couple of wires...

The dual switch disconnects the running light, and connects the flasher relay to both sides in one setting, the other restores the running lights, and disconnect the hazards...

The three to the signals should work with spliced on wires, the black wire needs to be cut and extended...

Simple and requires very short cable lengths, as it's "local" to the handlebars/cluster region... Should be able to put the switch around the cluster somewhere...

This works as long as the ignition is on, disregarding the other light switches and whatever... Engine running or not, or the position of the stock turn signal switch is irrelevant... The downside is that you can easily drain your battery...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-20-2013 at 02:23 PM.