Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

This is great!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Squid

shizbot is on a distinguished road
This is great!!!

I'm new to this site. I've had my '05 SH for about 1 1/2 years, and have had little success finding custom parts for a "VTR 1000". I've seen some great looking SHs on this site. The single swingarm is killer!!! I've just started to tinker with mine. I got an undertail and integrated tial light. Next will be a jet kit and exhaust. Any sugestions on a good throaty exhaust?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
And so it begins............. Welcome!

Exhaust question: FAQ, seek out the search button and read till your eyes bleed. LOL
Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!! Lots of choices...they all sound good, budget and personal preference on looks are most likely going to be your deciding factors.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Welcome aboard!! Lots of choices...they all sound good, budget and personal preference on looks are most likely going to be your deciding factors.
I like high mount. 2to1 or 2to2, either one. Would like to keep it under $500. I just want it to mean without being rude. I like a deep tone rather than a loud screamer.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You're going to wait until winter specials come around then. Lots of guys bought the Jardine High Mounts this winter when they hit the sites for around $400. Now this is just polished alum not fiber or colors or special metals like titanium. Do a search and you can find some pictures of what they look like. Sound pretty good too! $413 with free freight! I have heard (but have no experience) that the fiber cans have a lower note than the metals. I guess you should get something for an extra $400!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
high mounts are nice but just be advised that some of those systems will cause you to remove your passenger pegs unless you do some fabricating. I have high mount Two Bros... they sound and look amazing but the build quality is not all that great.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

TBR has dropped the high mounts for the Superhawk because they burned too many tail feathers! I originally mounted my Jardines with the spacers so I could retain the pass pegs but after looking at it the next morning I took the spacers out and removed the pegs. It just looked too wide-*** for my tastes. If she wants to go along (which she never does) we can take the VFR. It's a good two-up machine but the Superhawk is my toy.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Squid

I've also had some problems with it shuting off, mainly when I've stopped at a light. Acts like it is loading up. Right now everything is factory with 2000+/- miles.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Squid

I saw some high mounts once that were short, and the mid pipe came up behind the pass pegs. Now I can't find the site I was on.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

You mean like this?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Squid

igeorgei
so much you can do

Follow the link in my signature to my bike.

I highly recommend the MIG pipes with race baffles.

I have heard lots of Super Hawks and RC51's with different kinds of pipes but none sound as load and raw as mine. I do have to say though that the Akropivic pipes sound nice and deep (throatier than mine).

Good luck
Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by igeorgei
Follow the link in my signature to my bike.

I highly recommend the MIG pipes with race baffles.

I have heard lots of Super Hawks and RC51's with different kinds of pipes but none sound as load and raw as mine. I do have to say though that the Akropivic pipes sound nice and deep (throatier than mine).

Good luck
I gotta say, the way you routed the exhaust in your picture album....completely badass. Fab it yourself?? Damn that looks neat....reminds me of the little 2-stroker race bikes....
Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
You mean like this?
Are those custom mid's with your D&D's, or do they come with those when ordered?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
Very sweet, by the way.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Squid

igeorgei
My exhaust is a full system from MIG, header, pipes, cans, everything.

They call it their shotgun stlye exhaust. It's kinda cool cause Each can has a serial number etched into the name plate.

The fit and finish is really nice and the customer support was also very good.

I had originally ordered the street baffled cans but it was to tame. After speaking to MIG via e-mail, they told me just to cut out the street baffle and I would have exactly what their race can is.

I removed each endcap and used an angle grinder to remove the baffles. Took about 1 hour per pipe(take apart, cut, assemble).

They sound awsome!

Guys on Harleys always turn to see what the hell my bike is.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by tommygdbr
Are those custom mid's with your D&D's, or do they come with those when ordered?
First sorry about the photo. The bike looks like it's dual exhaust but that's really the right side can of the Superhawk that is parked behind the VFR.

This VFR came to me kinda "out of the blue" so when I got it, I was not prepared for the wimpy exhaust note that it had. You could barely hear the engine over the valve train noise. They have gear driven cams that make a shitload of noise. Long and short - it sounded like a Vespa.

I had a set of D&D's that I got from a member here and they were just sitting on the shelf so I took the bike and one of the cans down the street to the Meineke shop. The guys said they could build a mid to fit the can so I just held it in position so they could see where I wanted it. In at 8AM out by 2PM - charged me $60. It sounded so good I bought a case of beer for the guys and took it back to the shop before it closed at 5PM. They guys were real proud of their handywork and it saved me $500 in a new exhaust. No more cam noise now! If I'm really into the throttle it's almost deafening! Eventually I'll spring for a little kinder, gentler Micron or Staintune but for now I like the sound with only minor embarrassment. Chasing down Harley riders is especially fun!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
I'm going to stop at a couple shops now that you said that. I just wonder how I retain the passenger foot pegs?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by firestorm'n
I'm going to stop at a couple shops now that you said that. I just wonder how I retain the passenger foot pegs?
Just like was said above - run it on the inside of the peg bracket. However, that said, you're never going to do this with an out-of-the-box Jardine. They're too long! You're going to have to find a can that fits between the peg and the rear of the bike for it to work and not hang out too far. Some cans are easier to shorten than others. I would find a helpful sales person and ask them to help me with dimensions until I found a can that would work straight from the manufacturer. I can take some better pics of the actual mounting if you're interested. It's not that complex and any muffler shop can do it. It's just everyday exhaust pipe. I shined it up a little with some Mothers and a ball but there's no magic to it at all!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Squid

Thank's for all the input. I'm just about finished with the under tail ( got my intergrated taillight, it was broken at the mounting eye ). I will probably wait till this winter to get the exhaust. I'm thinking about the Devil high mounts. I'll try to post some pics as I add to it. I have a wife and 2 girls so you can imagine who's "wants" have to wait . Man this is going to take a long time. Thanks again .