Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Got bluetooths!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Got bluetooths!

So after reading the review of bandit400, I bought some amazon bt helmet intercom(s)

After some initial problems with the listing I got both units. They were listed as a pair, but I only got one unit for my $75.

After a small international incident, they shipped me my 2nd one at no cost.

THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME.

I have used hjc chatterbox brand intercom for the last 11yrs. They are good but require a wire to go from ipod to unit, and from unit to passng helmet.

I paired these two units to each other and mine to my phone, my wifes to her phone.

I installed the speakers first under the fabric then outside the fabric in the helmet. Sound quality is excellent and you can skip songs on the playlist with the jog wheel.

Also, as you are ripping along listening to Billy Idol's "hot in the city", if someone calls you you can hear the ring. If you want you can ignore it or push the phone button to answer.

I did this ONCE for experimentation purposes, but dont plan to talk & ride unless I am getting directions or something.

All controls are easy to use with gloves and its cool to be able to carry on a conversation with my wife even after she gets off the bike & goes into the store.

These are the ones I got.
Amazon.com: 2x 1000m Motorcycle Bluetooth BT Handsfree Cell Phone Multi Helmet Biker to Biker Motorcyclists Intercom Interphone MP3 Stereo Ear Phone Microphone Headsets: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: 2x 1000m Motorcycle Bluetooth BT Handsfree Cell Phone Multi Helmet Biker to Biker Motorcyclists Intercom Interphone MP3 Stereo Ear Phone Microphone Headsets: Cell Phones & Accessories

So in summary. These things rock. I still have the chatterbox and will install it in spare helmets but this is my recent favorite discovery (off the find of bandit400)
Attached Thumbnails Got bluetooths!-bluetooth-003.jpg   Got bluetooths!-bluetooth-005.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Cool man. I use plantronics stereo bt for the gym, mtn biking and under my helmet. My cost $40. Love em.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
The single review on them isn't super great at a 3 star. Did you find that you have to repair them every time you power them up as the review said? I'd love to get a set of these for the girlfriend and I as well as for my buddy. How many things can you pair to them?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
So I'm a little bluetooth challenged. Bike to bike/helmet to helmet intercom doesn't require any phone service does it, and how long will the battery last? Q3, can I pipe audio from my memory card on my phone via bluetooth?
The one you linked us to is $109.99, not $75. How'd ya get it so cheap?

Sounds like a great deal! Thanks to you both (+Bandit) for sharing your experiences!

Last edited by Wolverine; 07-23-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Looks like a knock-off of the SENA SMH10 http://www.senabluetooth.com/

The SMH5 can be had pretty cheap, and the UCLEAR HBC200 & Cardo Scala Rider Q3 are the main players now.

So many questions but in order of priority:

Is it USB 3?

Can it pair with a cell AND GPS at same time?

Can OS be updated online through USB or BT?

Is appears it is recharged through a standard size USB~USB cable; i.e., can it be charged / operated on the fly using a 5v/.5a power USB power converter (similar to http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P..._201744_455211) that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket?

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So after reading the review of bandit400, I bought some amazon bt helmet intercom(s)

After some initial problems with the listing I got both units. They were listed as a pair, but I only got one unit for my $75.

After a small international incident, they shipped me my 2nd one at no cost.

THESE THINGS ARE AWESOME.

I have used hjc chatterbox brand intercom for the last 11yrs. They are good but require a wire to go from ipod to unit, and from unit to passng helmet.

I paired these two units to each other and mine to my phone, my wifes to her phone.

I installed the speakers first under the fabric then outside the fabric in the helmet. Sound quality is excellent and you can skip songs on the playlist with the jog wheel.

Also, as you are ripping along listening to Billy Idol's "hot in the city", if someone calls you you can hear the ring. If you want you can ignore it or push the phone button to answer.

I did this ONCE for experimentation purposes, but dont plan to talk & ride unless I am getting directions or something.

All controls are easy to use with gloves and its cool to be able to carry on a conversation with my wife even after she gets off the bike & goes into the store.

These are the ones I got. Amazon.com: 2x 1000m Motorcycle Bluetooth BT Handsfree Cell Phone Multi Helmet Biker to Biker Motorcyclists Intercom Interphone MP3 Stereo Ear Phone Microphone Headsets: Cell Phones & Accessories

So in summary. These things rock. I still have the chatterbox and will install it in spare helmets but this is my recent favorite discovery (off the find of bandit400)

Last edited by skokievtr; 07-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

Doubt it is upgradeable as it is a Chinese product. I dont know if you can pair it to 2 things, but couldnt you pair each thing to it?

It has a micro usb jack which both charges it and then the speakers plug into. Really standard charger, 120v house current to usb to unit.

I do find you have to re-pair them to each other but it takes maybe 30 secs so I can live with it. I dont have to keep re-pairing it to my phone, it stays paired so maybe I am doing something wrong on the intercom end.

Yes you can pair it to your phone, I dont know how you would pair it to anything else like an ipod without a bt dongle for that.

I got them for only the $75 cuz they jerked me by labeling the sale for a "pair" of them. I complained so now they are listed for $75 for one unit but yeah you can get a pair for like 100-110. Shipping from China was very fast. I will snap some more photos soon.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, after reading up on them, I'm going with the SENA SMH10... they're getting great reviews everywhere.

Funny thing is they're very cheap as a pair, but almost as much for a single!! I can get a pair for $228, but a single is $186. So I guess I'll get two pairs, and then try to sell one unit.

Last edited by FTL900; 07-30-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by FTL900
Yeah, after reading up on them, I'm going with the SENA SMH10... they're getting great reviews everywhere.

Funny thing is they're very cheap as a pair, but almost as much for a single!! I can get a pair for $228, but a single is $186. So I guess I'll get two pairs, and then try to sell one unit.

2 pairs = 4 units LOL
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Zackly. I want 3 of them.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Joe dude, great to hear you love them!!
Just don't let em get soaked in 3+ hours of driving rain LOL!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:26 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I'm more challenged than Wolverine! I have a 5 year old LG flip phone, I've never sent a text in my life and the only MP I own is a weapon.

I'm so old school that I just like to ride and smell the smells and see what I see and really don't care to talk to anyone on the fly! We can do that at the end of the ride over an iced tea (I don't drink when I ride either).

I know I'll take some crap but hey it's how I ride!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

So now someone has to show me how to bluetooth my ipod mini. Do I just need one of these?
Bluetooth Adapter for Apple iPod Classic 120GB 160GB | eBay
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Slap a 16GB mem card in your phone and you have 2 in one!

HRCA, there's NO shame in yo game. It's all good! Hell, I carried a sony walkman when I bought my very first streetbike. My mixtape would flip sides in the middle of a song and when I listen to it today, I keep expecting to hear the pause.

We almost pulled the trigger on this set before we left on this trip (to the dragon). I expect to pick a pair up soon. Any feedback on how long the battery lasts?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

bandit said like 5 hrs or more so thats as long as almost any ride.

I also saw these, which probly have the same internals as the ones I listed.

2 x BT Interphone Bluetooth motorbike Motorcycle Helmet Intercom Headset 500M | eBay
Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 PM
SuperBike

I waited till the Chicago ims and nabbed a scala rider q3 for well under msrp

Cardo nailed it and swapping speakers for ear pcs & 2 diff mic is easy + you can do almost anything within reason...and their website set up and community is by far the biggest.

A standard bt dialogue os is coming that will be backwards default for sure to cardo

Have to check it out on my new Nolan custom helmet (not using their N-Com bits) when this melts!

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Slap a 16GB mem card in your phone and you have 2 in one!

HRCA, there's NO shame in yo game. It's all good! Hell, I carried a sony walkman when I bought my very first streetbike. My mixtape would flip sides in the middle of a song and when I listen to it today, I keep expecting to hear the pause.

We almost pulled the trigger on this set before we left on this trip (to the dragon). I expect to pick a pair up soon. Any feedback on how long the battery lasts?
Attached Thumbnails Got bluetooths!-skokie-snow-magnet-2014.jpg   Got bluetooths!-skokievtr-kabuto-helmet-04.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 02-16-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
So I'm a little bluetooth challenged. Bike to bike/helmet to helmet intercom doesn't require any phone service does it, and how long will the battery last? Q3, can I pipe audio from my memory card on my phone via bluetooth?
The one you linked us to is $109.99, not $75. How'd ya get it so cheap?

Sounds like a great deal! Thanks to you both (+Bandit) for sharing your experiences!
I didn't see your question answered but I browsed quickly and haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet this morning

I have 2 of the Techno bluetooth helmets, ones mine, ones my mothers, and a friend I ride with also has one that I bought for him (I'm a diabetic and its helpful to be in communication so I can tell him if my blood sugar feels wrong and I need to stop and take a break) I have Tmobile which means I have no cell service half the time when we are out riding, the helmets connect directly together and are good for about a kilometer in range. We've gotten fairly separated before (hes a lot faster on rough terrain and when there is garbage on the road, I'm much faster in the twisties, which is scary since he rides a 929rr ) and never lost touch. Only two helmets can be in contact at a time but the third party just has to press a button when they want to talk and it will chime in my helmet and let me know to switch to the other person. Its REALLY nice to have and I cant imagine not having it now
Old 02-22-2014, 02:07 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HRCA#1

I'm so old school that I just like to ride and smell the smells and see what I see and really don't care to talk to anyone on the fly! We can do that at the end of the ride over an iced tea (I don't drink when I ride either).

I know I'll take some crap but hey it's how I ride!

This ^

I'm riding > I trying to get away from wife, 4 kids & the dog too.

One day, I'll go out for milk and end up in Mexico...
Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
This ^

I'm riding > I trying to get away from wife, 4 kids & the dog too.

One day, I'll go out for milk and end up in Mexico...
I don't plan on using the q3 to talk at all just to listen to music maybe and ignore the gps.

For 32 years (I've been rider a lot longer) my wife has never questioned what I spend on motorcycles (unless we were broke and even then rarely) or care when or where I'd ride. Sometimes I'll say I'm going to get a Sunday paper, which meant I was heading up to cheese head land; i.e, ostensibly for the Oconomowoc News and some cheese. She just hopes I'll make her a rich widow.