Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Gearing for acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Gearing for acceleration

Gearing for acceleration, im currently running -1 on the front from stock. But a look at the gearing commander makes me wonder if stock gearing or even +1 on the front would make for faster pickup.

Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Gearing for acceleration, im currently running -1 on the front from stock. But a look at the gearing commander makes me wonder if stock gearing or even +1 on the front would make for faster pickup.

Thoughts?
Down on the front or up on the rear is shortening the gearing so faster acceleration Rob.
- 1 on the front is equal to +2.7 increase on the rear but you probably already know that
Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Squid

Tofazfou is on a distinguished road
Well, I went +1 on the rear only and it made a pretty noticeable difference. I lost 4 mph on top and actually throughout the gearing. And that was enough to make me quite right there.....lol! Going BIGGER on the rear also moves the rear wheel FORWARD (due to more teeth on the sprocket) and causes the bike overall to steer quicker.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
There are for sure diminishing marginal returns on shortening your gearing. I prefer the -1 on the front but you wont get stronger acceleration making the gearing taller. Only (maybe) better gas milage.

Lots of opinions on the topic but the basic principal is that a longer lever gives more leverage and greater mechanical advantage so quicker accel. (lower gearing).

Like trying to take off quick with your 10 speed in top gear.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
my next round im going -1 on the front. not looking for anything like the 15/43 some run. just a slightly shorter gearing. stock seems a bit tall.

and i think your confusing the speeds at different RPM's as quicker accel. with taller gearing like +1 over stock on the front, at 4500 RPM in a given gear, you may be going faster, but you wont get there as quickly. your revs will climb more slowly. so you will accel slower. the stock gearing is pretty tall stock.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey

and i think your confusing the speeds at different RPM's as quicker accel.
I was thinking more along the lines of power potential vs gearing. So with a taller gearing you are spending longer in each gear thus letting the torque of the motor have more effect. Just something I was thinking about and I accept I could be well wrong.

But has a lot to do with the power you allow the motor to make with the throttle as well. So how much you use WOT to get up to speed and if you can use it.

This comes from me fitting a quick turn throttle.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 AM
MotoGP

I agree with the quick turn throttle as a great mod. I plan to shim/cam my throttle tube but all my racebikes have the quick turn and it feels worlds faster.

Like in my minivan, I just move the seat closer to improve braking and acceleration (lol)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
I just put on an HRC 1/6 turn throttle tube. Works great. Honestly I'd like something a little more aggressive so I might do a wrap on the tube. But I get what your saying about spending more time in each gear. I think the thing is that your going to be reving a lot slower due to the lesser mechanical advantage so even though your power band is spread over a wider are of speeds, your gonna go through those speeds much slower. I will so I am not expert though. But it would be similar to trying to cone off the line in 2nd gear. Your gonna accell slowly as the engine has to use more power to overcome its gearing disadvantage.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 PM
MotoGP

More time is each gear is more time til the finish line so slower.

Of all the tracks I have raced, when I went to daytona they said "you need super tall gearing, like going back to stock".