Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fuel Stabilizer screw up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Fuel Stabilizer screw up?

OK, so I'm winterizing my bike and have about 1/5th tank of fuel, and put a little Honda fuel stabilizer in my tank after warming the bike and stopping the engine. As soon as I start it I ride 1/2 mile max straight to my gas station. Fill it to the top, bounce the fork, shake it around etc. to mix everything. I start riding to the carwash and it starts sputtering. I u-turn and barely make it home.

My guess is that the brief ride to the gas station sucked too much of the higher concentration of fuel stabilizer into the carbs, and now the thing will barely run.

Any other ideas? I drained the float bowls when I got home but don't think that will really help. Do I need to just try to run that stuff out if possible? Maybe the carbs gummed up already? The fuel wasn't too old...and I rode the bike about 30 miles 3-4 weeks ago.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
if you drained the bowls that should be enough, you could let them fill and drain a second time to be sure. Unless perhaps the plugs are fouled now. you could pull the easiest one and check. I've run all kinds of concentrations of sta-bil and rarely had it be much of a problem.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Will draining the float bowls essentially flush the carbs with fresh fuel, or just drain the bowls? I need to get the thing rejetted anyway. Maybe now's the time.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It'll work itself out. Drain out some more fuel if you need to to make it run acceptably. But you haven't hurt anything.