Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front end ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Front end ?

I just upgraded to RT components. Just want to double check my understanding of set up. Sag is already set at 28mm

Front end travel 120MM
% range of motion 30%
total length of working travel 84MM

For basic set up I want to keep the forks working in 84mm of travel.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
The point of sag is to have the suspension in the middle of its stroke when you are riding, but you'll still use all of the travel in most cases. On the gas the forks will top out and hard on the brakes and over a bump they will bottom or come close. If there is not enough sag you will top out a lot, and too much and bottoming will be a problem.

SAG affects geometry too, as the bike sitting high makes it turn slower.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:19 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
You might wanna check the RT instructions again... I thought they recommended 30 - 35 mm sag (Street) less on the track... but I could be off there as it's been awhile.

J.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Ross- I guess I missed something that I read. I thought that normal operating range was like 70% of travel with 30% left in reserve for hard hits. When you set your sag, this was the base range to get you into that 70/30 range. If this is not true then is there any piont in measureing the range of travel in the forks when riding?

Slowhawk- I like the front a little on the stiff side plus, I am heading to the track in a couple of weeks. RT actual recomends 25-35mm for street and 20-30mm for track, which seems like a huge range to me.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FTMS
Ross- I guess I missed something that I read. I thought that normal operating range was like 70% of travel with 30% left in reserve for hard hits. When you set your sag, this was the base range to get you into that 70/30 range. If this is not true then is there any piont in measureing the range of travel in the forks when riding?

Slowhawk- I like the front a little on the stiff side plus, I am heading to the track in a couple of weeks. RT actual recomends 25-35mm for street and 20-30mm for track, which seems like a huge range to me.
yes, exactly. that is what i meant by the suspension riding in the middle of its stroke, not literally IN THE MIDDLE. And the stock forks are so bad that none of this makes much difference. Attached is a pic of me at Pocono with 954 forks and they are waaaaay at the bottom of the stroke just entering the turn.
Attached Thumbnails Front end ?-sbtt2186-1.jpg