Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front brakes pulsing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Back Marker

Chrisguilday is on a distinguished road
Front brakes pulsing?

I have been trying to figure out the issue with my front brakes.

When I apply my front brakes I can feel them pulsing. It gets worst the harder I pull the brakes. At low speed its most noticeable, but you can feel it at any speed. I can almost feel my break lever pushing back and forth each time my brakes pulse. I looked at the rotors and they don't look warped / bent, but I don't have a front stand so I can't spin them freely.

Any one know off the top of their head what it could be? Or should I go ahead and replace my rotors?

Oh, and the guy who had it previous to me said he just replaced the break calipers. Not sure if he did it himself, but maybe he put them on wrong? Looks like I'll need to buy a motorcycle front stand any way...

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 05-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
My suggestion would be follow this thread: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...t-stand-30419/ to get the front wheel off the ground to spin to check for warp. A dial runout indicator works best for this. I would also inspect the calipers to make sure they mate as they are supposed to and not crooked in any way. Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it's time for some frot brake work. Sport bike brakes, while not really all that sensitive in terms of their brake rotors, are still prone to warping fairly easily if not in proper working order. If you end up spending the money on new rotors, don't throw that money away by not doing a proper service on the rest of the stuff up front.

And yeah, if you are getting a pulsing, your rotors are warped. There is generally only one cause, and only one fix for that. New rotors.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Either one or both rotors are warped! As simple as that, the usual suspects: over heat warp, either you or PO had the disk lock while starting to move, someone kicked the rotor or the last mechanic clamped the rotors on his lift by mistake...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, if the PO changed the calipers he was probly chasing the problem. Sounds like a warped rotor.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah, if the PO changed the calipers he was probly chasing the problem. Sounds like a warped rotor.

I concur warped rotor or rotors!
Time to hit ebay for a set of aftermarket wave rotors which come in all price ranges?
The lower priced rotors on ebay seemed to be produced by the Chicoms and were running around 60 bucks a set, I would check around here and see if anyone is using them before trusting your life on a set of low priced rotors...
JMO/SIRR1
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Could be warped rotors, but not absolutely. I had this same symptom. I checked my rotors with a dial indicator. They were not warped. I ended up taking the rotors off and had them bead blasted and replaced the pads. Once the new pads bedded in, the brakes were fine.

I believe the pad material had built up on the rotors. I was not able to remove the pad material with Scotchbrite pads or brake cleaner.

Just sayin, check your rotors before buying new ones.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 superbeater
Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Motorcycle magpie
Squid

octanejunkie is on a distinguished road
I had a Ducati last year that exhibited similar issue. The problem turned out to be the rotor "buttons" that hold the floating part of the discs.
These had become choked with brake dust and other crap, and weren't allowing the disc to "float". This manifested itself in feeling like warped discs. I ended up using a can of brake cleaner and gently tapping and rotating the buttons to free them up again. After that, brakes perfect.
This problem can also show up as vibrating or groaning noises under braking.