Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Which Fox shock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Which Fox shock?

Will any shock with a 13.5" or 340mm c-t-c eyelet length work, or is there a specific model #? Twin Clicker or any other model? Thanks for any 4-1-1... getting into search mode on Ebay
Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
I dont have an answer for you but I have to believe that somebody on here can get you the answer...so.. bump
Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
ReNoob
Squid

Thanks for the bump. Hoping to score something on Ebay in the off season... if nobody else here beats me to it
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
There has been pretty extensive discussion regarding finding other OEM shocks that are compatible for the Hawk, and for the most part, the VTR is the longest shock around and a bit difficult to find a subsitute unless it's specifically designed for the Hawk. I'd assume this would make many Fox shocks for other bikes non-compatible as well due to different overall (eye to eye) and stroke (travel) lengths.

You might wanna check through some of those threads to see if there is another bike or two close enough that you can keep an eye out for (besides the VTR) where you can make some spacers or shims to get it close.

I beleive Superbling has also tried a bunch of different shocks, he might be a good person to ask as well.

J.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
There has been pretty extensive discussion regarding finding other OEM shocks that are compatible for the Hawk, and for the most part, the VTR is the longest shock around and a bit difficult to find a subsitute unless it's specifically designed for the Hawk. I'd assume this would make many Fox shocks for other bikes non-compatible as well due to different overall (eye to eye) and stroke (travel) lengths.

You might wanna check through some of those threads to see if there is another bike or two close enough that you can keep an eye out for (besides the VTR) where you can make some spacers or shims to get it close.
Im not sure where you're finding the threads on this topic, I found a couple, but that was it. Nothing with any solid information except this from Superbling::

"CBR series shocks are extremely short compared to the VTR body which, unfortunately, is one of the longest around. More bad news, the cbr's also have a much lighter spring.

Experimenting with used shocks, I tried an R1, R6, ducati 916, fox CBR900 unit with heavier spring, penske cbr954 with heavier spring, and a ohlins vtr unit in need of a rebuild.

Even worn out, the ohlins was, hands down, the best. Pony up and get the real deal or at least get anything else sprung/valved for the VTR."
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Thanks AZ. I too have searched, and I get about 1,000 posts with about 1% pertaining to the subject matter, and then its usually "bought a new Ohlins". I figure if I score a suitable shock on Ebay I'll have to send it back to the company for a new spring and revalving anyway, but its worth at least keeping an eye out.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
ANY CBR unit with a remote reservoar can be adapted for use on the VTR... There are small differences in length that can be shimmed...

Also all others with similar length and stroke works... The main requisite is a remote reservoar...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Sablotny
Thanks AZ. I too have searched, and I get about 1,000 posts with about 1% pertaining to the subject matter, and then its usually "bought a new Ohlins". I figure if I score a suitable shock on Ebay I'll have to send it back to the company for a new spring and revalving anyway, but its worth at least keeping an eye out.
Ive been searching for a while now and it seems that the Ohlins 46HRCS is the way to go for the SH, if you can find one used...

Click link:
http://www.starcycle.com/street/ohlins46hrcs.html

http://www.starcycle.com/street/ohlins_shock.html