Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Flushing Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Squid

bluedog66 is on a distinguished road
Flushing Radiator

I guess my question would just be, is it safe to refill the radiator with just distilled water and water wetter? I am in colorado so I would need to put the proper coolant back in before winter, but, I am doing some track days and they wont allow bikes to have coolant. If so, what is the correct amount of water wetter I should add? Also, in the manual it makes mention of a "new sealing washer" for the drain plug, do I need to get a new washer or should it be fine?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's all I have in my bike right now. It should have directions on the bottle of WW I think I put 4 caps full of WW per quart if I remeber correctly. As far as the washer is concerned, I would just check the condition and go from there.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bluedog66
I guess my question would just be, is it safe to refill the radiator with just distilled water and water wetter? I am in colorado so I would need to put the proper coolant back in before winter, but, I am doing some track days and they wont allow bikes to have coolant. If so, what is the correct amount of water wetter I should add? Also, in the manual it makes mention of a "new sealing washer" for the drain plug, do I need to get a new washer or should it be fine?
The Water wetter bottle will have a water to watter ratio chart. I do not recall how much the system takes, check the service manual or look at some of the other threads related to cooling. If you can't find that just buy tw gallons of Distilled water and mix each gallon according to the ratio and fill system as needed.

Yep, be sure to drain and re-fill with Anti-freeze before the cold season sets in.

You may get different answers, but i always look at the sealing washer and if it is not bent or damaged i always re-use it.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Squid

Right on, thanks. Also, whats the best way to turn off my front and rear light? Tried removing fuses but by the time the lights are off the bike wont start... Was thinking some switches wired in somewhere?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
just pull the connector to the front headlight. You can pull the bulbs for the rear, or simply tape over your tail light.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Just reach around behind the head light wiggle plug off. In the rear just remove the bulbs
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Squid

Yea that would be easiest I guess, what was I thinking... Lol, thanks for keeping me from tearing up my wiring.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can pull the fuse for the rear lights though, it makes it easier IMO. I also use the blue painters tape to cover up the lights, it's alot easier to take it off when done.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Squid

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
You can unplug the tail lights under the seat