Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

FIXED: new superhawk owner, running issue constant throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:32 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
The carbs do not sit square to the engine when seated correctly. Looking at them from the rear they slant off to the left.

Based on everything that you have described I can't stop thinking that you have an unsealed inlet tract or vacuum leak, sure your carbs may not be perfect but your problem reminds me of what happened to my perfect running VTR when I encountered a vacuum leak.

Check your petcock diaphragm by sucking on the hoses. Search the forum for the method employed to do this. Check your fuel cap to ensure it's venting correctly.Search the forum for fuel cap problems also.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here about carbs , vac leaks and the like. Search is your friend and has got me through some niggley problems on many occasions!

Kudos to you for wanting to sort this problem, if you do you will be impressed!

Let us know what happens!

When running correctly these things rock!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:54 AM
Squid

roasty_duck is on a distinguished road
you mentioned the petrol cap, it has a race keyless cap on it...

i may switch this for the original and see what happens.

i know theres something wrong because at 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 turns out with 48 pilots it was still sucking in so much air a pair of tights over the inlet + oem filter only just strangle it...

makes me wonder how the hell it run before with the carb boot not seated properly, this is why i thought it was too much fuel, it run fairly ok with an air leak.

it was by change that after turning the fuel down on the test ride i pulled the choke out and it got a lot better than it was.

only taken about 22 hours of working time to get this far! not done yet need to adjust fuel back to 2 1/2 and switch the cap
Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Squid

And im back!

this is driving me insane!

ive had pilot screw out 3 and 3 1/4 turns.. still surging
raised both needles by 3 thin shims on both and then turned pilot back down to 2 1/2 turns and its better but still surging.

Also i think im expecting too much of the power but it feels a bit weak...

itll wheelie in 1st under power with no issues but 2nd i have to clutch in at 4000rpm and almost redline before dropping the clutch to get it to lift.

Is this right?
Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
You should not be going out 3-3.25 turns. That would indicate your pilot jet size is too small. Did you also try leaking it out, AKA screwing the pilot screws in?

Honestly, though, you should really be checking to see if you have a vacuum leak or other problems before driving yourself nuts with getting your jetting right. Tuning it is moot if you have a vacuum leak, because you're getting "unmetered" air.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 02-29-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Something still seems goofy - in my opinion the 48 pilots are too rich - so you shouldn't be having lean issues on your pilot circuit unless your carbs still have debris in the circuits.

Make sure your choke fittings aren't broken and the choke is operating properly too.

As far as wheelies - mine will stand right up with a whack of the throttle at about 3500 rpm in 1st.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:55 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Still curious about the petcock. Mine gave me head aches before it completely failed. And yet he hasn't responded to my question.

Mine started with power lags and evolved to complete engine shurdown. I checked it once visually. Didn't properly check it with a light. Next thing I know I was sucking gas down the vac line and the hawk would completely shut down in the higher gears at steady rpms.

It's an easy check and one that can easily be scratched off the list or could be deadly if not checked properly.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I replaced mine, it's simple to do and removes the worry.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Yes it is an easy rebuild. Some rebuild kits are faulty. The are aftermarket rebuild kits for the most part so they are not held to the OEM standards. Some times an easy install can be the problem.

Did he double check it by pulling a vacuum through the line to make sure it was running properly and I know it's a novice question but did he hook the vac line back into the proper port.

Only questions he can awnser hahaaaa.

Last edited by Meier Link; 03-01-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Stupid questions but they need to be asked.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:01 AM
Squid

ive not checked the petcock as of yet, currently have a very full tank of fuel as i had it in my head, simple fix the tights took some air flow and stopped surging so i can just raise the needle and turn pilot screw out but this didnt fix it...

ill check the petcock once ive got a bit less fuel, what exacly am i looking for in the petcock? just take it off unscrew the cover to get to the diaphragm and look for damage?

can i run it without a diaphragm and no vacuum just gravity fed?

if its damaged would this mean i can turn the fuel tap on with no vacuum connected and fuel will flow?

Last edited by roasty_duck; 03-02-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:11 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Check the diaphrams for holes. It's an easy check. There should be 2 diaphrams. There should be zero holes. If there is a hole you need to buy a rebuild kit. Ebay is the cheapest place to get one.

Use a flash light and hold the diaphrams against it. The smallest pin hole can cause havok.

Last edited by Meier Link; 03-02-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:44 AM
Squid

ok awesome ill give it a check, its bike night tonight so that should get rid of most of the fuel, ill drain the rest into a fuel can and check
Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
If I remember right I replaced my petcock diaphragm with an OEM rebuild kit that was pretty cheap - cheap insurance to make sure the thing runs.

I maintain that this issue is likely not a jetting issue - clean carbs, close to stock jets and a stock filter should not equal surging and bucking at 4,000 rpm - something either letting in too much air (air leak) or preventing fuel flow (petcock) or possibly interrupting spark (ignition problem would undoubtedly show up at higher rpm as well).

Did you look at the float needles to make sure they are operating properly and not sticking? Seems like a slim chance that is the problem, but 15 year old rubber parts can certainly cause havoc.

Last edited by AndyMX47; 03-02-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I paid $15 shipped for an OEM diaphragm, there is no real reason to not do it when you're chasing issues. By the time you waste all that time trying to inspect it, you could have simply replaced it. Did you also check that your choke is not damaged?

You can also spray carb cleaner around the carbs with the bike running and see if you have a fluctuation in RPM. This would indicate that you have a vacuum leak of some sort.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by AndyMX47
If I remember right I replaced my petcock diaphragm with an OEM rebuild kit that was pretty cheap - cheap insurance to make sure the thing runs.

I maintain that this issue is likely not a jetting issue - clean carbs, close to stock jets and a stock filter should not equal surging and bucking at 4,000 rpm - something either letting in too much air (air leak) or preventing fuel flow (petcock) or possibly interrupting spark (ignition problem would undoubtedly show up at higher rpm as well).

Did you look at the float needles to make sure they are operating properly and not sticking? Seems like a slim chance that is the problem, but 15 year old rubber parts can certainly cause havoc.
It happens at any rpm past 3500 but only when i hold the throttle steady...

i keep thinking electrical problem somewhere but everything i do leads to too much air...
but i raise needle, bigger pilot, it had 190 mains and oem filter.. and it still did it.. i just dont understand

Last edited by roasty_duck; 03-02-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
I paid $15 shipped for an OEM diaphragm, there is no real reason to not do it when you're chasing issues. By the time you waste all that time trying to inspect it, you could have simply replaced it. Did you also check that your choke is not damaged?

You can also spray carb cleaner around the carbs with the bike running and see if you have a fluctuation in RPM. This would indicate that you have a vacuum leak of some sort.
I did this yesterday used almost half a can, only time i got engine to die down was spraying it towards the airbox inlet.

choke isnt damaged and works fine, its definately getting too much air or not enough fuel so damaged choke would just let more fuel in but pulling choke makes the problem almost dissapear

Last edited by roasty_duck; 03-04-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:05 AM
SuperBike

Mate,

It's time to go to a Dyno.

Check the AFR and jet accordingly.

Then adjust the needles and mixtures to what you think is close based on what the Dyno is telling you.

Ride the beast and then adjust by the seat of the pants.

Something is amiss here!(Understatement I know)

I admire you for persisting, sometimes it takes a step outside the box to sort things.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 AM
SuperBike

Sorry for the diatribe!

Sitting here on a hot night thinking about your problem and it just struck me, Have you checked the timing?

Just a silly question, however it could hold the answer.

Had a similar problem with the "848" after I changed the cam belts. 1 tooth out on the exhaust on the rear cylinder!

Just a thought mate!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
My SH surges, splutters, and generally runs like sh*t between 3K-4K rpm if I run 92 octane fuel. It's still there but not as bad at higher rpms. A switch to 87 octane (ethanol-free when possible) cleans up the problem entirely and she's smooth running anywhere on the tach. Huge difference.

Not sure if this is strictly a fuel octane issue, or some other issue (TPS, jetting, other ?) that is somehow awakened by the higher octane fuel. I'm all for simple fixes so I haven't dug further into it, I just run the 87 stuff and enjoy the ride.

I realize you are way deeper into this than simply experimenting with fuel octane ,and I'm not trying to oversimplify or contradict any other advice here, just throwing it out there because I know I can basically replicate a similar running issue on my SH simply by grabbing the 92 octane fuel hose at fill-up time.

Last edited by Bustin; 03-03-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I run non-ethanol also... 89 at the pump closest to me.

No problems with varnish running the non-corn...

James
Old 03-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

A dyno with an AFR would be a great tool, since he'd know exactly what the air:fuel mixture is doing at specific RPM and when it's surging. From there he'd know whether to lean or enrich the mixture.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by roasty_duck
...choke isnt damaged and works fine, its effeminately getting too much air...

That's a VERY unusual problem.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Squid

nearest dyno place to me is a good 40 miles away so this is going to be a horrible ride!

wonder how much itll cost for a dyno run with an a/f reading.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Squid

Ok so, fuel tap off diaphragm looks new, bolts look new, looks like it may have been changed recently, not a single hole or any damage to the diaphragm.

so next from here is the coils...

plug caps reading infinite ohms on one and 1.99ohm on other

where can i get new caps? i tried cleaning but cant get them to 5k

Last edited by roasty_duck; 03-05-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
30700-MBB-640 Internet? or get a local dealer to order in a pair...
Old 03-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Squid

$20 each ouch!

can i use a generic ngk plug cap?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Just do the coil on cap mod.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Squid

im hopeless so if someone could make me it id buy it, not sure what year or which cbr and which parts i need
Old 03-06-2016, 02:43 AM
SuperBike

Any thoughts I had about what is wrong with this bike if it had to do with the carbs has just gone out the door when I read about the fuel you use!

Here down under I have a choice at the bowser of 94 ethanol, 91 standard unleaded, 95 unleaded and 98 unleaded all without ethanol!

My bike runs on 95 most of the time and an occasional dose of 98 with no appreciable difference in performance, or at least the bum dyno doesn't register if there is! Based on the fact that I have access to different fuel none of my carb settings are relevant, so disregard what I have previously said.

I am now starting to wonder if the previous owner was chasing this gremlin and gave up and sold the bike, especially as you say the fuel tap diaphragm is in perfect order and appears to be new.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Like I said before , check the timing, a tooth out could be the cause
Old 03-06-2016, 06:38 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Post a want ad about stick coils. You can use cbr600rr models, but you need to get the wiring harness with them, then splice (solder) the superhawk harness and the cbr harness together.

If you're not comfortable doing that you may be able to have someone on here do it for you.

James

Quick Reply: FIXED: new superhawk owner, running issue constant throttle