Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Firestorm struggling to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 03:10 AM
Squid

Shammi is on a distinguished road
Firestorm struggling to start

I have a '99 Honda VTR Firestorm (SuperHawk996) which has been suffering from starting issues for the past month. Sometimes it would start without any issue over and over. Sometimes it would start once but if we turn it off and try again, the issue would come back even if we let the engine warm up by running the bike for several minutes. So from what I can say, heating it up wont make the issue go away. I have recorded the issue when it came and uploaded it here on YouTube for your reference:

Our first thought by the flashing instrument lights was poor battery. So we bought one brand new, hooked it up and the issue was still present. We tested this new battery by putting it up on a charger and it charges and holds up very well. So the new battery cant be at fault. We even borrowed a second battery and tried starting and this issue would still come. Put our new battery again and tried jump starting with the help of a car battery and still had no change.

Next we went through the wiring towards the starter and noticed it had slight damages. We replaced it with a new one. Along with it we replaced the ground wire of the bike. Even after all of this the bike still would not start. We then took apart the starter motor, cleaned it up and replaced the brushes. Put it back in and still no improvement.

We then had a look into the spark plugs and they were good as well. We then decided to see if the engine would turn over if we hit start while the plugs were out and when we did this the engine turns over effortlessly. However if we even put back at least 1 plug, the bike would struggle to turn over as shown in the video.

We removed the crankshaft cap and tried turning the crankshaft with a spanner wrench and noticed it was very difficult to turn when u have turned around 180°. We have a suspicion if this is putting a huge strain on the starter motor and it is struggling to turn the engine. However we are unsure if this is how it normally is or if something is causing it.
(The starter motor I believe is OEM, its a Mitsuba SM-13 12v starter motor.)

If anybody can provide us some guidance we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

P.S: We have used 20W 40 engine oil in our bike. The manual says to use 10W 40. We thought this is ok as we live in quite a hot country and have no winter here. Could this be an issue too?
Old 06-06-2022, 02:55 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Valve adjustment? Cam chain tension? Geez, got me.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:55 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
What led up to this starting issue? Was it starting just fine previously and started doing this one day? Was any work done to the motorcycle or anything changed prior to this starting problem?

What am I hearing in the video? Is the starter turning but not engaging the motor or is the starter trying to turn the motor over but unable to or something else?
Old 06-06-2022, 04:59 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by YMRacing
Valve adjustment? Cam chain tension? Geez, got me.
The tensioners are still the automatic ones. The timing chain tension was super tight and had no slack at all. Timing was also checked in both cylinders and they were correctly aligned.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:11 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
What led up to this starting issue? Was it starting just fine previously and started doing this one day? Was any work done to the motorcycle or anything changed prior to this starting problem?
It did have some trouble starting in the past few months. Sometimes it would start alright but sometimes it would need a jump start. Recently (last month) it got worse and it wouldn't even jump start. We replaced the battery with a new one and it would still do this. However sometimes it would randomly decide to start after cranking a couple of times with the new battery and no jumper cables even and suddenly it would not start at all and act like shown in the video. No work was done to the bike prior to this staring problem.

What am I hearing in the video? Is the starter turning but not engaging the motor or is the starter trying to turn the motor over but unable to or something else?
This part im not sure myself, all I can say is we have gone through the starter motor a few times now to make sure it is working. And I can confirm the starter motor has no issue.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:25 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Having replaced the battery and worked on the starter, I assume you've determined those connections are clean and solid. Have you checked the connections at the starter relay?

Is it possible the starter (one-way) clutch is slipping?
Old 06-08-2022, 10:15 AM
Squid

Is it possible the starter (one-way) clutch is slipping?
I believe this is the issue. We are looking into this. Will leave an update on its status.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:02 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
totally seems like an issue with the starter. It's not engaging. Wack it with a hammer, not too hard.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
As previously mentioned, starter is your issue.

At 14 seconds into your video, I noticed there doesn't seem to be any oil in the engine?? I hope it's just me that fails to see the oil in the glass window.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
I caught that also. He may have more than just starter issues. I don't know where he is located,but there are plenty for sale on Ebay cheap.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:40 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
As previously mentioned, starter is your issue.

At 14 seconds into your video, I noticed there doesn't seem to be any oil in the engine?? I hope it's just me that fails to see the oil in the glass window.
Originally Posted by ascothawk
I caught that also. He may have more than just starter issues. I don't know where he is located,but there are plenty for sale on Ebay cheap.
The oil and filter are new and the oil level is up to the top level. The reason its not visible in the glass is because the bike is on the side stand and leaned over.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:45 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Shammi
I believe this is the issue. We are looking into this. Will leave an update on its status.
Originally Posted by VTRDarren
totally seems like an issue with the starter. It's not engaging. Wack it with a hammer, not too hard.
It was the one way clutch that had the issue. We fixed the 2 gear wheels and now the bike starts first round.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:37 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Great to hear! thanks for posting an update.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:58 AM
Squid

For anyone whos interested you can watch the video guide we made when we did the fix. We uploaded it as 2 parts.

Part 1:

Part 2: