Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fine Tuning Carb Q.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by semery98
First of all let me thank you guys for your knowledge. I have learned a lot on here. That's for sure!

I just did the carb set up 8541Hawk wrote up (although I had some issues because my diaphragms weren't sealed correctly...woops). The midrange power is now awesome. I am hoping that someone can chime in and help me get these suckers tuned a little better. First of all, my idle is pretty rough, and it even died on me a couple of times at stoplights. It's not a steady idle either. Second, I seem to stumble around 6k while under full throttle. Is it possible that I need bigger mains? Or would more shims help?

I know that it's now a process of trying one thing and seeing how it work, but where do you guys think that I should start at?
For starters, have you syncronised your carbs using vaccum clocks or a home-made hose tool? If not, that's the first thing to do when having idle stumbles... Followed by relocating the carb breather hoses from the middle going up, to going down, cut at a 45 degree angle so no fuel can end up causing vapour lock...

Once that is done, then and ONLY then do you start with finetuning the carb setup... Preferably also check or re-set your TPS to spec, but not entirely neccesary...