Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Finally right!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Talking Finally right!

So, anyone want to guess what the big issue was? I know most of you already have but umm............The diaphram on the front cylinder (carb slide) was not even in place correctly. It's raining now so I could hardly test ride it but I CAN tell you, the power is there now! 8541Hawk came to my house, pulled the carbs and viola. I have to say it's nice to have someone that's been into this particular bike willing to help. He did a lot in a short period. Removed all the smog (Ca. bike), pair mod, carb sinc, needle shim, reset TPS and on and on. Go ahead, tell me how I shouldn't have removed the smog. Any of you seen a CA. bike with that coffee can hanging off the front, preventing any form of lower fairing mod and just looking plain ugly!? Besides, the simplicity created by removing about 20 feet of hose seems worth it. I'm really grateful and I'll share my smiles when the road is dry.

Last edited by ranchomice; 01-26-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
8541Hawk is the hero of the month. I'm glad it's running well and I hope he found everything that was screwed up.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
thats great, crackerjackman and I found something similiar too a bit back. Someone who was in there before had left an airbox hose disconnected.

When its dry have fun.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Woot!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Shebang.....

Glad we could offer up so many other complex and scary options for your problem. I hope you keep the bike for a while and give it a chance.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 PM
SuperSport

VTS, as you may or may not know, I got the bike for $1,500.00 with 1,430 miles on it. After 30 miles............BANG, clunk, clunk, clunk! Broken valve, ruined piston etc. You probably know most of the story from then on. Bottom line, My $1500 hawk is now a $4k hawk, It's not going anywhere for a long, long time.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well glad I could help. While the cam timing was done by someone with a bit of experience, they let Buba put the carbs and the airbox back on. Not only was the diaphragm not installed correctly on the front carb, the isolator wasn't tightened down and also they managed to loose the o ring for between the airbox and the carbs.

All is well now and a little fine tuning will have the bike running fine.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Man we got some good people on here. Glad you got your bike fixed up bro. These things are a blast! Enjoy
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Sooo... What about the freekin shop? It's great you got the bike sorted, but it seems to me the shop owes you some cash. I got screwed by a shop a few years back so I'm sensitive to this.
Are you going back to let them know what happenned? To bad you didn't take pics.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Yeah instead of VTR of the month we need "Hero Of The Month". The help from this forum, from people such as 8541 is unheard of anywhere else.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
SuperSport

Steve Bis 1, the main issue (diaphram off) had nothing to do with the shop. I will definately be going in to talk to them. I'm going to casually ask the mechanic if "he" put it back together or if bubba did the grunt work. The details were rushed through. Stacks reversed, carbs not tightened properly, gasket mising on one carb to aibox. That part is just sad though, even some of that may have been the "friend" I had manually clean the carbs. I will also be having a chat with him about the diaphram placement. I'm stoked to see what it is supposed to feel like! I also got a good feel for the "quality" of work out there.

Last edited by ranchomice; 01-26-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Just one of the reasons I stop here every day, good folks. Thumbs up 8541! Let the smiles begin rancho.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stebbdt
Just one of the reasons I stop here every day, good folks. Thumbs up 8541! Let the smiles begin rancho.
+1
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
awesome to hear, one of the many reasons i come to this site opposed to other drama filled sites! enjoy the ride!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Way to represent, 8541!

Putting the diaphragm back in is not difficult, but you do have to pay attention that the rim is seated in the groove.

In fact, nothing about working on these bikes is difficult. But you can sure F#$k it up, if you aren't mindful of the details.

Just like everything else.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Way to represent, 8541!

Putting the diaphragm back in is not difficult, but you do have to pay attention that the rim is seated in the groove.

In fact, nothing about working on these bikes is difficult. But you can sure F#$k it up, if you aren't mindful of the details.

Just like everything else.
Details details, yeah nothing difficult bout gettin that 22 inches of slinky spring in there, hehheh, had to hit up the forum after almost losin an eye the third try.. oh and using a dowel to hold the slide partially open, once I had the info though, no difficulties.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
SuperSport

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stebbdt
Details details, yeah nothing difficult bout gettin that 22 inches of slinky spring in there, hehheh, had to hit up the forum after almost losin an eye the third try.. oh and using a dowel to hold the slide partially open, once I had the info though, no difficulties.
Lmfao @ almost lost an eye on my third try! Hey guys, I rode the bike to school today (before it started raining), the ground was still wet but oh my, this bike is gonna be a whole lot of fun!! New problem, how to keep the front end DOWN in first!? J/K I think I'm just feeling what I was supposed to be feeling before.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
When I shimmed my needles, I found that using a screwdriver to prop up the slide about half way kept the lip in the groove during assembly. It took me a couple tries to figure that one.

Sounds like you owe a case of beer, at least, to 8541hawk. That was several hundred dollars worth of work at a shop.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
8541hawk... feel free to move to Virginia anytime!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Squid

woodster is on a distinguished road
glad to hear about your bike.this forum is like a good drug its addicting can't stay off of it.but let me ask this question to the forum 8541hawk was kind enough to go and help.how would another hawker in need get that kind of help in his state?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
woodster where do you live? I think that would help if you do need help. there are plenty on here that will help.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
When I shimmed my needles, I found that using a screwdriver to prop up the slide about half way kept the lip in the groove during assembly. It took me a couple tries to figure that one.

Sounds like you owe a case of beer, at least, to 8541hawk. That was several hundred dollars worth of work at a shop.
Well, you can also just push the slide open after it's together and see if it's "breathing". No case of beer, slipped him a few bucks. Least I could do!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
That's awesome to hear, nice job 8541! Glad to hear it's running right rancho. And yes that spring sure is fun the first time you try to put it back in.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
SuperSport

Hey guys, I wanted to ask a "blanket" question of y'all. Do all of your hawks have, what I can only describe as, the sound of a valve ticking or something like that? I am real paranoid because of what happened last time I heard a noise! How much noise is normal?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
Well, you can also just push the slide open after it's together and see if it's "breathing". No case of beer, slipped him a few bucks. Least I could do!
The only way the diaphragm lip would stay seated for me was to hold it 1/2 open. I don't have 3 hands, and I was doing it with the carbs just lifted off the intake tubes.

Have fun riding!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by ranchomice
Hey guys, I wanted to ask a "blanket" question of y'all. Do all of your hawks have, what I can only describe as, the sound of a valve ticking or something like that? I am real paranoid because of what happened last time I heard a noise! How much noise is normal?
It is a fairly noisy engine.. But without hearing it, it's hard to know if you are talking about a normal noise or not. That's part of why I went with APE ccts, they won't fail, the valvetrain may get noisy but it won't let the valves get personal with the pistons.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
SuperSport

It now has APE cct's in it too. I've never heard what a "normal" superhawk sounds like so I don't know what "normal" is.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Squid

woodster is on a distinguished road
hi skoshere i was asking mainly for any problem in the future.mine is new to me not familiar withit yet but it is running fine. i live in houston texas.i see your from wi. my bro lives in lower milwaukee
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by lazn
It is a fairly noisy engine.. But without hearing it, it's hard to know if you are talking about a normal noise or not. That's part of why I went with APE ccts, they won't fail, the valvetrain may get noisy but it won't let the valves get personal with the pistons.
So, when you say the valvetrain may get noisy. Like I said, I don't know what it's "supposed" to sound like. What I'm hearing is a ticking, in time with rpm on the front head. I'm very sensitive to noises because of what happened in the first place. I guess I should meet up with someone with another hawk and listen to it.
Someone said (to someone else) start the bike and adjust the APEs till the noise goes away. Is this adviseable?

Last edited by ranchomice; 01-27-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

It's probably a bit loose from what you are describing, and adjusting the APEs will probably make it go away. (again probably)

But one nice thing with Apes, because they don't move on you.. You are not risking much leaving them where they are. Yes I would try to meet up with another SH to hear it, and if you need it adjust it. But till then I would also feel fine riding it with APEs ticking whereas I would not feel comfortable with OEMs not ticking. LOL.

This is just me though, a non mechanic giving his own opinion.