Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Exhaust cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Squid

Rebirth98 is on a distinguished road
Exhaust cap

So as I started to dissemble my bike from last falls boo-boo, I got to thinking I wonder if there would be any major pitfalls from capping the right (rear brake side) exhaust header where it joins the can. My neighbor and I had a little wager on it my only guess is that it would mess with back pressure. He said heat would back up into engine. Any pros out there have two cents?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:17 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Where it joins the can? So a capped midpipe but no muffler? Or do you mean where the midpipe meets the header? Well other than looking goofy with a capped midpipe sticking out on one side what would be the purpose of this? I've heard of folks wanting to cut off and cap one of the outlets on the header to make a single muffler exhaust. There's a lot of info on here already on that but in the past has sounded like it usually turned into a tuning headache. Did your muffler get trashed on that side or trying to save money or weight or?

Last edited by captainchaos; 04-05-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
So, I have been in the process of single-siding the 1999 S-hawk.
Adapting the OEM header to a RC51 OEM(right side)exhaust can....
Having cut the split out of the exhaust header, and in the process of adapting............
Post pictures when completed
Old 04-05-2015, 08:21 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
So, I have been in the process of single-siding the 1999 S-hawk.
Adapting the OEM header to a RC51 OEM(right side)exhaust can....
Having cut the split out of the exhaust header, and in the process of adapting............
Post pictures when completed
Yeah the left side off an rc51 doesn't make the 90 degree bend needed to fit the header but a right side midpipe/slip on will work fine, at least the ones I've test fit.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Squid

Rebirth98 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Where it joins the can? So a capped midpipe but no muffler? Or do you mean where the midpipe meets the header? Well other than looking goofy with a capped midpipe sticking out on one side what would be the purpose of this? I've heard of folks wanting to cut off and cap one of the outlets on the header to make a single muffler exhaust. There's a lot of info on here already on that but in the past has sounded like it usually turned into a tuning headache. Did your muffler get trashed on that side or trying to save money or weight or?

Haha no little rash nothing bad. Just two guys who knew little about it flexing brain muscles. I assumed tuning would be bad just looks different and got my mind thinking. And I'm assuming past the mid pipe it's just a small part of the pipe that extends just beyond where both header pipes meet.