Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical issue

Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM
Squid

Rob Prevost is on a distinguished road
Electrical issue

Hi so this morning my bike started I would put Erin the tire when I shut the key off it’s kept rolling over killed the battery and now when I put the battery charger up it starts off with the key in the opposition I don’t know what to do can somebody help
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
My guess would be the starter relay has jammed. It is located under the tail cowl, on the left side of the subframe.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rob Prevost
Hi so this morning my bike started I would put Erin the tire when I shut the key off it’s kept rolling over killed the battery and now when I put the battery charger up it starts off with the key in the opposition I don’t know what to do can somebody help
If Im understanding what your asking it sounds like one of two possibilities. Stuck or broken starter button in the right switch assembly or failed starter relay.
a failed starter relay.
Follow the large red positive wire from the battery to a small square "box", that is the starter relay with the key off, test for continuity between the two large posts. If its open, your good, if you have any resistance value at all, the relay is bad

If not the relay... then disconnect the small two wire from the starter relay... that is the trigger wire for the relay.. now turn key one, motor no longer turn over right away without pushing the starter button? Good, now you know the issue is the starter button or the wiring along the way from it to the starter relay. Go up to the right hand switch assembly, follow the cable till you find the connector..and disconnect, following the wiring diagram, test the two starter switch wires for continuity, should be none (open) normally, and good continuity (closed) when you push the button.