Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Difference with exhaust systems from bike to bike...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Difference with exhaust systems from bike to bike...

So what is the big deal between bike exhausts? Can I use any exhaust I want within comparable size limits? Like could i use 2 R1 pipes for my superhawk ,if I were to rejet? I want to know just how many different pipes I can actually use if i am willing to have my own midpipes made...

What does everyone think/know about this?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I think most make a standard can, then form the forward part of the system for each bike. I'm sure the Yosh can on my wife's SV is the same as for the SuperHawk. It's just different from the can forward.

And by the way, to install the Yosh slip-on on an SV you have to hacksaw the stock muffler off. Not as bad as it sounds, but you do have to measure accurately.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
So what is the big deal between bike exhausts? Can I use any exhaust I want within comparable size limits? Like could i use 2 R1 pipes for my superhawk ,if I were to rejet? I want to know just how many different pipes I can actually use if i am willing to have my own midpipes made...

What does everyone think/know about this?
There a lot of flexibility after the midpipe.
But beware using just anything for midpipes, as the lengths between turns and the junction are pretty important to preserve, as they are specific for this motor. Lengths and locations are the most important factors in exhaust design.
You will find its possible to make a twin exhaust with no junction, but it probably makes less power...unless you totally luck out and get one resonating just right for the application.
Seriously, the echo link is damn important, dont mess with that part of the design unless you keep the basic lengths of the tubes right.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
I was just thinking of same. wanted to put Yoshi cans tri-Ovals R-22 from Gixxer 1000 and cusom make connecting sections since they don't make that for the chicken, but found a cheap set of D&D slip ons for VTR so will go with that for now.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
I'd like to hear more on this too. I'd like D&D's but want a high mount. I'd be willing to have mid's made if it'd do the trick.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
No problem at all, as long as the new mid pipes are well made. If you wanted to do a top job on it, I would get a new collector made as well. The stock one is not very good. Have a look at any aftermarket headers to see what a good collector should look like.

I have FJR1300 mufflers on my bike.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by shayne
I have FJR1300 mufflers on my bike.
Huh? Wha?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:18 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dnagmour
I'd like to hear more on this too. I'd like D&D's but want a high mount. I'd be willing to have mid's made if it'd do the trick.
You're in luck then, sort of...The chrome high mount midpipes from Jardine's round black powdercoat slip ons fit perfect with D&D mufflers. The hangers will work fine too. Only problem is Jardine stopped making them and you can no longer order replacement midpipes or hangers. You'd have to get lucky here or on ebay.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
There a lot of flexibility after the midpipe.
But beware using just anything for midpipes, as the lengths between turns and the junction are pretty important to preserve, as they are specific for this motor. Lengths and locations are the most important factors in exhaust design...

Seriously, the echo link is damn important, dont mess with that part of the design unless you keep the basic lengths of the tubes right.
I was idly looking down the exhaust connector pipe the other day, and where the pipe exit joins on, there's a piece of pipe partially blocking the tube off where it comes out to the silencer. I think that's part of the exhaust tuning (probably giving a bit of back pressure) but it's quite a serious restriction in the stock headers...

Paul.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by opsmgr
but it's quite a serious restriction in the stock headers...

Paul.
Not really. If you think about it, your going from a single pipe to two pipes of the same diameter, effectively doubling the volume. Minus the restriction, you're still about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 more volume.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by opsmgr
I was idly looking down the exhaust connector pipe the other day, and where the pipe exit joins on, there's a piece of pipe partially blocking the tube off where it comes out to the silencer. I think that's part of the exhaust tuning (probably giving a bit of back pressure) but it's quite a serious restriction in the stock headers...

Paul.

The restriction was a hot topic about 11yrs ago. When it is removed you do get a more even flow through both pipes but Dan Kyle showed (with back to back dyno runs) that you actually loose a bit of power when the restriction is removed...... but as always YMMV
Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
For those that want to customise: I emailed Jardine recently and they offered to supply high mount midpipes for US$95 each plus shipping.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by revhead1957
For those that want to customise: I emailed Jardine recently and they offered to supply high mount midpipes for US$95 each plus shipping.
Are those the stainless with springs or the chrome with clamps? I asked about a year ago and they said the chrome with clamps were no longer available because they had stopped production of the round black powdercoat system. If someone is ordering them be sure to clarify. Again referring to what fits a pair of D&D cans its the chrome mids that clamp on.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Squid
Squid

Guess I'll order a set of D&D's and worry about the mids later. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Squid
Squid

I think I'll email Jardine and see if I can get the specs on the chrome ones. At least whoever I have build them would have the right dimensions and bends.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Huh? Wha?
My Staintune mufflers came off an FJR1300, and I modified them to fit the VTR.