Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Died during commute, R/R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
Died during commute, R/R?

So I rode to work ~50min drive/ride and everything was fine. On the commute home as I was on the interstate I pulled the clutch lever to slow down (slow traffic at some exits) and downshifted but noticed no power or anything for that matter when I twisted the throttle. I looked at RPMs and it was at 0, surpise, so I tried to start it and it started right back up then I was on my way till it happened again about 20 mins away from home. All of the lights were on and functioning, the bike just seemed to shut off. It has a new batter maybe a month old, it was replaced just before I bought the bike. First time it happened about 40 mins away from home(keep in mind no clock on bike, just judging by mile markers). I dont know much about bikes but I can use any help soon. I am supposed to go on a short trip Friday afternoon and be back Sunday and I want to make sure my bike is in reliable form. Thank you in advance

-BA

PS. It only shut off when I pulled the clutch in and it happened once on the interstate and once on the backroad I take. I ask if this is R/R b/c a lot of people complain about it and Idk when mine was last changed if it was changed.

Last edited by amhsraptor; 05-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amhsraptor
PS. It only shut off when I pulled the clutch in and it happened once on the interstate and once on the backroad I take. I ask if this is R/R b/c a lot of people complain about it and Idk when mine was last changed if it was changed.
If it only shuts off with the clutch pulled in, then don't pull the clutch it at speed. Most VTR's don't like it, for whatever reason. I know mine kills when I do it above ~25mph. I just don't do it anymore. If your R/R was going out, you'd probably have a blown fuse or some weird lighting issues.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you have a 98 I would say for sure you are experiencing the clutch speed issue. If it is a newer bike it could still be that, but I have really only heard for sure that 98s do it. (my 00 doesn't)

Consider it a quirk and work around it. There really is no need to pull the clutch in at speed, you will slow down faster just letting off the throttle than pulling the clutch. And when downshifting the clutch should only be pulled in for a very brief time.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
If you have a 98 I would say for sure you are experiencing the clutch speed issue. If it is a newer bike it could still be that, but I have really only heard for sure that 98s do it. (my 00 doen't).
It is a 98. Thank you I thought something crazy was going on.

-BA
Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
every time I ride mine I realize something crazy is going on!

I have an '02 and very occasionally will have it die during slow going when I clutch it. Not often enough to worry about and starts right up, so on we go.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by peterpanic
every time I ride mine I realize something crazy is going on!

I have an '02 and very occasionally will have it die during slow going when I clutch it. Not often enough to worry about and starts right up, so on we go.
Heh... Crazy is normal...

Could be that you'd benefit from synching your carbs... That seems to be the other part of the equation... When out of sync the bike will hickup and die at stoplights or slow crawl...