Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clear Tails

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Squid

notquite is on a distinguished road
Clear Tails

I just ordered a set of integrated lights from volar motorsports. I gotta say, Man they look great...till you turn them on. They are not as bright as I hoped. Can anyone tell me if Clear Alternatives Brand is any brighter?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by notquite
I just ordered a set of integrated lights from volar motorsports. I gotta say, Man they look great...till you turn them on. They are not as bright as I hoped. Can anyone tell me if Clear Alternatives Brand is any brighter?
i don't know how much brighter they are than the ones you got, but i have the clear alternative integrated one on my bike and i am very happy with it
Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
My Clear Alternatives light uses standrad globes, and it works fine as you would expect.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shayne
My Clear Alternatives light uses standard globes, and it works fine as you would expect.

Umm, standard globes?

You must have a different Clear alternative light then the rest of us.. As all the ones I've seen here and the one on my bike are LED. They do not use "globes"
http://clearalternatives.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CA&Category_Co de=VTR1000

To the OP.

My opinion,, they are not bright enough unless it's not full sun out.

I've had mine for 1.5 years or so now.. Added extra turn signals on it so others could tell where I was going. The combo of flashing LEDs in the turn signal/stop light and some low profile turn signals that are under and at the sides of the under tail work well.

I'm changing back to the red stop light as soon as I get back to Texas again.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Superstock

kmm996
My Clear Alternatives use the LEDs. Seems to be much brighter than stock.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Be sure you're taking into consideration the average height people will be viewing your taillight from their cars. If you're standing directly behind your bike it may looks dim, but crouch down and view it like your in the drivers seat, much brighter down there. Also there is a plastic tab on the backside of the housing, there is supposed to be a rubber dampener on that (should look like a small piece of rubber hose. That piece not only helps out with vibration, but it also pivots the taillight housing up some.

To try and answer your question, I bet the same Chinese factory makes the cheap eBay unit you bought and the overpriced Clear Alternatives unit.

Does the Clear Alternatives unit have built in turn signals?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Squid

notquite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Umm, standard globes?

You must have a different Clear alternative light then the rest of us.. As all the ones I've seen here and the one on my bike are LED. They do not use "globes"
http://clearalternatives.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CA&Category_Co de=VTR1000

To the OP.

I've had mine for 1.5 years or so now.. Added extra turn signals on it so others could tell where I was going. The combo of flashing LEDs in the turn signal/stop light and some low profile turn signals that are under and at the sides of the under tail work well.

If you have CLear alt's brand and want to sell or swap to stock give send me a pm.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Umm, standard globes?

To the OP.

Possibly. Mine does not have the integrated turn signals, it is brake and tail light only. It definately uses normal globes, not LED's.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 AM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Be sure you're taking into consideration the average height people will be viewing your taillight from their cars. If you're standing directly behind your bike it may looks dim, but crouch down and view it like your in the drivers seat, much brighter down there.
You're spot-on there IMHO! Other vehicles at different heights wont see them so well as the standard bulbs!

I had LED indicators on the rear, but have now reverted back to the original.
Admittedly I preferred the look of the LED ones, but for me now safety comes first.

As you say with LEDs you need to be in line with them to get the maximum brightness in view. Even looking at them slightly to either side of the centre line they're not so bright as the original bulbs.

Last edited by ripvanwinkle; 09-02-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ripvanwinkle
As you say with LEDs you need to be in line with them to get the maximum brightness in view. Even looking at them slightly to either side of the centre line they're not so bright as the original bulbs.
Mostly that is the case. The Luxion LEDs I put on my bike are very bright off axis. Here is an example. Note the even with a camera flash they're still bright.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Tails-cimg2175.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Mostly that is the case. The Luxion LEDs I put on my bike are very bright off axis. Here is an example. Note the even with a camera flash they're still bright.

That has very little to do with actual brightness and are more due to the fact that the Luxeons have a lense fixed to them giving them (I believe) a 110 degree viewing angle...

Same for the LED module that haknslash and others including me have used... The 10 LED's there each have an individual lense behind the outer shell (could be integrated into it, dunno...) that give a good viewing angle and it can be clearly seen from any vehicle height...
Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I'll chime in here - the LED turn signals on my mototech undertail are very directional and because of the undertail design they "shine" about 30 degrees to each side. I never realized how invisible they were untill I rode with others who thought I was not using my signals at all.
I added an Ebay clear alternatives knock off. It is focussed faily narrowly also, but the combination of the undertail signals and the integrated tail light gives me decent coverage.
I have not seen a real Clear Alternatives tail light. If it really gives a full coverage pattern it is probably worth the price. Checking the threads here no one has indicated that is the case