Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

changing fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Squid

zakthor
changing fork springs

I'm replacing my fork springs, supposed to be quick and simple.
I am following the instructions from a previous post:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewt...emove+fork+cap

Raise the front end to get the weight off it, turned pre-load all the way off, and unscrewed the fork cap. Take care as the springs may still be exerting some force on the cap.
Ok, done that.

Break loose dampner rod nut and the cap/rebound assembly but don't alter the nut's location (setting).
How do I "break it loose"? The cap comes out about 1.75", do I pull? twist? hit it with a mallet? pry with a rusty claw hammer?

I can't seem to attach the photo, heres a link to what it looks like at maximum extension:

http://zakthor.dyndns.org/web/vtr100...9.46-JPEG.jpeg
Old 08-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Squid

zakthor
Re: changing fork springs

Ok, figured it out.

Back off the preload 100% so the fork cap doesn't pop off when you release it. Unscrew the fork cap from the stanchion. Then screw the preload adjuster all the way in, this unscrews the fork cap from the damper rod.

When the fork cap is off, the damper rod will want to fall in (slowly). Tie a piece of string on it, then a little piece of weight that is small enough to fit through the washers and springs.

Pull the damper rod up with your fingers as far as it will go, reach in with a screw driver and carefully lead the "spring seat" off the damper rod.

Then I pushed the damper rod down to hook the first washer and pull it up so I could reach it.

Next, reach down with needle nose, pull out the aluminum spacer tube.

Push the rod way down and hook the next washer.

Finally push the rod waaaay down, push at the side of it with a screw driver, and pull it back up dragging the spring with it.

Put in new spring, then washer, then your new custom cut spacer, then washer, then spring seat washer.

Remove the string.

Screw the fork cap onto the damping rod. All the way, so the pre-load is minimal, then tighten the fork cap into the stantion.

This is what I did, I'm wondering if there is an easier way to hook the spring and washers out.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
This is what I did, I'm wondering if there is an easier way to hook the spring and washers out.

If your bike is suspended to get the front wheel off the ground you can then lower the bike after the caps are off to bring the spring with-in reach.
I don't remove the aluminum preload adjusters from the rod to do a spring swap. Just the aluminum preload adjusters from the caps.

~Jeffers