Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain & sprokets

Old 06-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Chain & sprokets

Hello everyone,

Could someone tell me if this is worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35600

The price seems really low for a chain and both sprokets!

Is it good? If it is, I will replace my old chain and sprokets with it.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chain & sprokets

I have the same set up on mine from these guys. First they were out of the front sproket which delayed things a little. Then they sent the wrong rear sprocket but sent the right one with no problems. The chain has to be cut to size which is the only bad part, I had a local shop do mine for 10 dollars american. The quality is very good I used it for a couple of track days here in FL. and noticed a huge improvment in low and mid range. Really pulls hard out of coners and wheelies are easier than ever can even pull up in 2nd gear and I weigh about 200 lbs.

Overall I was pleased with product and customer service.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Squid

Quebecer

Well, that is very good news.

The thing I find weird is that normally a chain is what? about 200 to 250$ CAD and sprokets are about 50$ or so. Now these guys are selling you the kit for 139.99 US which is about 175.00$ CAD. Are they really make me save 175.00$.

That is a huge price difference.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
MotoGP

I know, the cheapest I found for the superhawk was $189 american that's why I gave it a shot the only drawbacks I listed, the parts came as described and seem to be first rate quality. I guess I'll see a few miles down the road but it held up nicely for the two hard track days!

Ussually the sets come in a single package and these were seperate peices so I think they must be buying in bulk and peicing them together but who cares if they are the same.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 AM
MotoGP

sorry about the spelling 4 hours of sleep is no good .
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Originally Posted by Quebecer";p=&quot

The thing I find weird is that normally a chain is what? about 200 to 250$ CAD and sprokets are about 50$ or so. Now these guys are selling you the kit for 139.99 US which is about 175.00$ CAD. Are they really make me save 175.00$.
Quebecer, I don't know where do you take your parts but it's not them who save money, it's you that pay way too much ( in french.. tu te fait fourré!!! ). I've just changed my chain and spocket and here's what I've paid:

D.I.D 530 X-ring chain 139.95$
AFAM rear spocket 43 tooth 48.95$
AFAM front spocket 15 tooth 19.95$

All price in CDN and tax in!!

So, take care where you are shopping and remember that with US parts you will have the exchange rate but also the customs tax and fees ( at least if you are not able to avoid them ) so sometime ebay are not always good deal for us Canadian people

For the 520 conversion, I had a look at this before to change mine but I was not sure about the strength of the 520 chain in regard to the VTR torque. Some people are saying to not put this, some other the opposite ( same thing with this thread than the oil and tire!! ) So, I think I will have to verify this also by myself on my next chain/spocket change.

For the 43T/15T spockets setup, yup! that rock!!

See also this thread as I would not to repeat all.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewt...&highlight=43t

Cheers
Old 06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
MotoGP

I worried about strenght as well but have friends with gsxr 1000s and they have had no issues. If it can handle that it should be fine for the superhawk. As I said before we'll find out down the road how it performs in the long run but after two spirited days on the track with brand new chain there was little to no stretch, which impressed me considering new chains tend to stretch on first use!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Squid

Quebecer

Well I just called my nearest Honda dealer and they sell their chain and sprokets for a total of $241.00 + taxCAD. That means 277.21$.
Where did you get yours IceBud? You paid about 70.00$ less than honda's price. Like we say : Toute pour sauver une couple de piastres !
Old 06-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Back Marker

icebud

This is very interesting to know Superhawk22...

As I've just changed mine for standard 530, this is too late for me now. But on the other hand, keep us in touch with this and at the end of the summer, give us your milleage done and also some feedback about your chain and spocket use, that will be very interesting to know!!

Thank you so much in advance and don't worries about forgetting this, I will remember you it at the end of the summer :wink:

Cheers
Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Back Marker

icebud

About my great deal Quebecer,

I take my parts at my previous area dealer, near Quebec city ( I'm come from there, I'm only in the Montreal area since 3 years) I was buying there since I had my first trail bike at the age of 14, so with years they make me very good price.

I was looking to find another dealer in the Montreal area that could also make me good price ( I'm always putting many $$ on my bike so to save a couple of buck on each order, this always great!! ) but I was not able to find one that will make me good price. Even that, it's less expensive for me to pay the shipping on the parts from Quebec to here than buy them here!!! I think the dealers around Montreal area are just crazy...

On the other hand, my Quebec dealers was not able to have the 520 conversion set and this is also why I stay with the 530. But I've just ordered the chain and spocket from my girlfriend bike and Matt from Dynamohumm in Cowansville http://www.dynamohumm.com have make me a very very good price for them, especially that it's for Vortex spocket ( one of the best brand on the market ) so, give a call to him I think that if you are looking for the 520 conversion set, he is the man... at least for Canadian buyers.

I've take all my "special" parts for my VTR from them ( Pyramid plastic, Miron slip-on at lot of $$$ ) Their service is very good! call Matt and tells him that it's Mike that have recommend you him.

Let me know the result of your inquiry

Cheers
Old 06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I have just received a conversion kit from these guys on eBay. 120 link RK XW-ring gold chain w/rivet type master link. 16 tooth steel front sprocket, lightened with holes drilled around the perimeter. 44 tooth aluminum rear sprocket. Both sprockets were in Vortex packaging.
I had also ordered the pro chain tool kit, but apparently my package was mixed up with somebody else's order, and what I actually got was a 15 / 43 + chain, NO TOOL.
Luckily, I was up in Austin today delivering a small load of sheet metal and was able to stop by their warehouse. They made everything right without complaints. Good customer service.
Now I am anxious to get it all installed and test the torque improvement! BTW...+3 on the rear is almost the same as -1 on the front, only a hair further
Old 06-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Squid

pickle.of.doom
Hey super22, how far off is your speedo now? I noticed this same kit on ebay, and man, that price is good!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:16 PM
MotoGP

No problem I'm anxious to see myself. One thing though I am becoming increaseingly addicted to the track and riding less on the street but the walet will dictate more street riding. It's just so much fun to go as fast as your abillities allow without blue hairs pulling infront of you. Big problem down here plus the riding weather is some what backwards in Florida it rains hard here all sumer long. Better ricing in fall winter and spring. I know it's a tough tradeoff.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

Don't really Know yet, I've only ridden on the track with it so far I will do a ride hopefully this weekend(if it ever stops pouring!!) and let you know. The free wheelie power is worth wahtever it's off though.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Squid

mrjakeanderson

I'm Selling mine on ebay. look for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15/54 !!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Squid

v2weapon
I'm running a 15/43 520 conversion and love it. That's a great price for that ebay listing. I had a 520 Regina chain on the shelf already, and found the Vortex sprockets on the shelf at the Honda dealer where my g/f works, so it all came together quite well. After 500 miles of corner strafing, wheelies, and hard launches the chain hasn't stretched a millimeter. Any good quality 520 chain from RK, EK, Regina, DID, or Tsubaki can handle anything the average street bike can dish out.

FYI, the 520 Vortex rear sprocket that fits the VTR1000F is the part number that's listed for a '95-'98 CBR600F2 (there may be other cross-overs). Vortex doesn't list a 520 conversion rear sprocket for the Superhawk in their catalog.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

Thats odd well maybe not there really isn't alot of stuff for the superhawk!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Squid

VTR69

Got my 520 coversion kit from hardracing.com .I oirget the price but it was competitive They highly advise buying a race chain though if your'e going 520 on a 1000 cc bike. I went up one tooth in back. Not a huge difference but you can feel it, get the front light easier. Have fun, hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:04 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 15t from recommedations on this board. It still sits on the shelf cause I'm having trouble keeping up with the people I'm riding with.

200-210 kmh she's at 7k and tops out at about 240. Meanwhile my buddy on his GSXR750 is riding circles around me knockin on 300's door.